The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Default NYD resolution! Need input from ya'll.

I am going to improve my fingerstyle. I mean it. No excuses, I now have a more suitable instrument, the will, the ability, well maybe not so much.

Here's what I need help with.

Any suggestions on accessible tutorial/learning material. By accessible, free and on the internet would be super. I really have no clue as to proper technique, patterns, styles, etc.

How about ideas on some really simple songs that are maybe tabbed that I can start with? I am a person of the 60's and 70's, play mostly rock, country and some folk. I'm looking for stuff that I recognize am am familiar with melody and changes, etc. I would prefer std tuning stuff for starters.

Happy New Year to AGF!

Last edited by lt131; 01-01-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

As a self-taught fingerstyle player, I can't direct you to any tutorials. However, any song you can play with a pick you can play with your fingers.

Try a simple song at first and take the chords apart into individual notes. Experiment with the sequence of notes in a given chord, then go to the next one, etc. For extra credit, listen for sequences of notes that blend one chord into the next.

I'm not a big one for "stock" patterns but I also rarely play any covers so it's not as important for what I do. They do give you a place to begin, and that can be very helpful.

The most important part of fingerstyle IMO is getting your hands on the instrument. You can watch all the tutorials in the world, but none of them will give you the Zen of being in sync with your guitar. To me, that's where the music comes from.

Good luck!

"I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people." -- Doc Watson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write