The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerdawg View Post
George, would you mind letting us know how your situation turns out? Nick is on my short list of builders and although I've come across nothing but positive feedback about him, how he responds to you would be useful, I think -- or at least reassuring -- in terms of making a decision.

Thanks,
Chuck
I'll be happy to share the outcome - if it hadn't been for this thread, I wouldn't know that Nick was even alive.

George
Old 02-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Default Update from Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerdawg View Post
George, would you mind letting us know how your situation turns out? Nick is on my short list of builders and although I've come across nothing but positive feedback about him, how he responds to you would be useful, I think -- or at least reassuring -- in terms of making a decision.
Hey Chuck,

I just got off the phone from talking with Nick and cannot say enough nice things. I am bubbling over in anticipation of my build of a koa jumbo.

Thanks, Acoustic Guitar Forum!

George
Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Hey Chuck,

I just got off the phone from talking with Nick and cannot say enough nice things. I am bubbling over in anticipation of my build of a koa jumbo.

Nick is a remarkable man, building extraordinary guitars.

Congrats, George!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

A reminder of just how lovely Nick's wood selection can be. It's tough to see on these photos, but the wood grain patterns actually flow from the sides of my OM to the back. Nick and I had a coversation about this during the build process. It's quite spectacular.

I'll also highlight a key aspect of Nick's final product. Extremely easy to move around the fretboard. It might have something to do with such a shallow headstock angle, but it takes no effort to hold complex chord patterns down, sliding around the neck, bends, percussive thuds; require little effort and produce very responsive tones.

George, I'm not surprised that you were able to work through a solution with Nick. The direct approach is alway the approach of choice. PS. You must be excited.

best,

Stuart

Last edited by stuartb; 11-12-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Hey Chuck,

That's awesome -- I'm happy and excited for you. Keep us posted as things progress!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Wow, just stumbled here, 'bout time you got one Stuartb, caught you on another forum while you were deciding who to order from.I think you and I are the only ones on that other forum who don't have a Merrill (yet).Glad you like it. Sure is purty.

I'm looking for a smaller guitar now, good thing he doesnt make one. Though actually I can't afford it now anyway, those days are over. Unless I sell the OM, but nahh... Though the coin Miller's friend was asking, for essentially the same guitar, was attractive, I have to admit.

Maybe some day he'll do another run of those Stella- type 12 strings, IIRC that might have been of interest to somebody here, at one time anyway. I know somebody else talked to him about that a while back, can't hurt to ask, if thats what you really want.

For those who, for some reason, like "G"'s on a headstock, the 1979-80 Franklin logo was a script "FG", perhaps he can resurrect it. Best looking headstock logo he ever used, IMO. I recall making this same observation to someone before, a number of years ago now, when I posted on his "hey guys how have you been, what's new?" thread on usenet to inform him that Kukich was building again. Oh well..

Last edited by FPicker; 02-16-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 AM

Stuart,
I'm finally joining the forum after lurking for years.
I don't know if I am imagining it but my Franklin OM seems to sound better by the day.It has wonderful "fat" trebles that just resonate and resonate. There are layers and layers of harmonics in it that just blend in a way I have never heard before. The thing is, I was not too impressed with this guitar at the start and I can't explain this change. This guitar really sings and there is great support in the bass as well without it overpowering the instrument
Do instruments really open up?
Frankly, I can't really ask for more in an instrument. Nick besides making an exemplary instrument is just such a wonderful guy to deal with.
I hope your guitar gives you as much satisfaction as mine does.

Ray
Old 05-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPicker View Post
Wow, just stumbled here, 'bout time you got one Stuartb, caught you on another forum while you were deciding who to order from.I think you and I are the only ones on that other forum who don't have a Merrill (yet).Glad you like it. Sure is purty.

I'm looking for a smaller guitar now, good thing he doesnt make one. Though actually I can't afford it now anyway, those days are over. Unless I sell the OM, but nahh... Though the coin Miller's friend was asking, for essentially the same guitar, was attractive, I have to admit.

Maybe some day he'll do another run of those Stella- type 12 strings, IIRC that might have been of interest to somebody here, at one time anyway. I know somebody else talked to him about that a while back, can't hurt to ask, if thats what you really want.

For those who, for some reason, like "G"'s on a headstock, the 1979-80 Franklin logo was a script "FG", perhaps he can resurrect it. Best looking headstock logo he ever used, IMO. I recall making this same observation to someone before, a number of years ago now, when I posted on his "hey guys how have you been, what's new?" thread on usenet to inform him that Kukich was building again. Oh well..

Hey FPicker!

While since I've been around. Computer downstairs is giving me greif, and my better half's computer is as slow as molasis. I hope you're getting a lot of playing time in these days.

Yes, the Merril's sound interesting, but I kind of think I should play a guitar these days before committing. I'm at 5 and likely won't go much higher, though I may get a sixth, a small guitar, as you say.

I have to wonder if Nick wouldn't consider building a Nick Lucas special, particularly since part of the name he already owns. I could measure mine and give him the original specs on my 34. A 14 fret. I think I'd rather a small 14 fret because I find them more versatile.

I think I'll ask Nick what he thinks about that, or maybe we can get him to register and he could respond himself. He's not much of a technology person, but Nick does have a computer and is on the net.

Stuart
Old 05-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKme View Post
Stuart,
I'm finally joining the forum after lurking for years.
I don't know if I am imagining it but my Franklin OM seems to sound better by the day.It has wonderful "fat" trebles that just resonate and resonate. There are layers and layers of harmonics in it that just blend in a way I have never heard before. The thing is, I was not too impressed with this guitar at the start and I can't explain this change. This guitar really sings and there is great support in the bass as well without it overpowering the instrument
Do instruments really open up?
Frankly, I can't really ask for more in an instrument. Nick besides making an exemplary instrument is just such a wonderful guy to deal with.
I hope your guitar gives you as much satisfaction as mine does.

Ray
Ray,

You madman, you are really making up for lost time on the guitar front!

Yes, Nick's guitar is the first guitar I've owned that is making me a believer that guitars can in fact open up. I've never seen anything like the metamorphosis that my OM has gone through. It has thrilled me to death.

My Franklin changed so much in the first 3 months that I would not know it for the same guitar, though in fairness, I was urging the guitar out of Nick's hands five minutes after he had finished building it.

The trebles are simply spectacular. No other guitar comes close. And the base has developed quite unexpectedly. Fred from this and UGMF forums was in the area from Vancouver, and stopped by to play my guitars. The first thing he said when I played my Frankin, was wow, listen to that base.

I arranged my first song months ago. It was started before I received the Franklin. Who would have know that the song, Jacob's ladder, was made for the Franklin. I play it all the time.

I've been very lucky with guitars. Almost have my full compliment. The Collings sits in a Bb tuning, the Walker in DADGAD, the Franklin loves standard and Drop D, but like to play both newer tunes and old timey music. The Martin is set up for a Fretkiller blues song, and the gibson is in standard. I was playing Ricks's arrangement of Freight Train this morning on the Gibson.

The Franklin was a blessed addition to my collection. While I was at first a little concerned with the tonal qualities of Nick's guitar, it has evolved into a monster of a guitar. A monster. And remarkably, the tonal qualities continue to evolve.

best,

Stuart

ps. Glad you finally joined the forum.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 AM

Stuart,
I have to agree that for an OM that is relatively shallow compared to my Somogyi or Walker, the Franklin does have a deep and beautiful bass. Without a doubt,the trebles on this guitar is truly special, just spectacular.
It also seems easier to play compared to say a Martin OM as the string tension somehow feels less.
Can't really explain it but I sometimes find the string tension different on guitars which have the same scale length using the same gauge and brand of strings. This is especially apparent in the Franklin where bends are so much easier to execute.
Anyway, I too keep each of my guitars in different tunings. Somehow my Beneteau seems to like lower tunings and is now in a low C tuning as I am learning a Don Ross tune. The Bourgeois is in Orkney tuning courtesy of Steve Baughman. The Somogyi sounds beautiful in Dadead which I use for DeGrassi tunes. The Walker is now in standard (shocking!) as I am thinking of learning an Etta Baker piece.
Last but not least, the Franklin is mainly in DADGAD. I play the Franklin a lot now, revelling in its voice while noodling around finding peviously unheard nuances. I find that time just passes without me actually improving on my repertoire as I just seem to listen in amazement as the guitar "opens"

There is no need for another guitar as I am truly contented but I am wondering about Nick's koa and aged Euro stash. I understand he was quite famous for his koa guitars and I don't have one......and I never played one that I've liked and.....

Like you, I also wonder if he has done or will do an L-OO guitar

best,

Ray
Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Stuart,
I have to agree that for an OM that is relatively shallow compared to my Somogyi or Walker, the Franklin does have a deep and beautiful bass. Without a doubt,the trebles on this guitar is truly special, just spectacular.
It also seems easier to play compared to say a Martin OM as the string tension somehow feels less.
Can't really explain it but I sometimes find the string tension different on guitars which have the same scale length using the same gauge and brand of strings. This is especially apparent in the Franklin where bends are so much easier to execute.
Anyway, I too keep each of my guitars in different tunings. Somehow my Beneteau seems to like lower tunings and is now in a low C tuning as I am learning a Don Ross tune. The Bourgeois is in Orkney tuning courtesy of Steve Baughman. The Somogyi sounds beautiful in Dadead which I use for DeGrassi tunes. The Walker is now in standard (shocking!) as I am thinking of learning an Etta Baker piece.
Last but not least, the Franklin is mainly in DADGAD. I play the Franklin a lot now, revelling in its voice while noodling around finding peviously unheard nuances. I find that time just passes without me actually improving on my repertoire as I just seem to listen in amazement as the guitar "opens"

There is no need for another guitar as I am truly contented but I am wondering about Nick's koa and aged Euro stash. I understand he was quite famous for his koa guitars and I don't have one......and I never played one that I've liked and.....

Like you, I also wonder if he has done or will do an L-OO guitar

best,

Ray

Hey Ray, the temp went up today to about 21 degrees C. Say 73F (can't recall). Just played the Franklin for a bit, my my my...

You're right, the string tension is very minimal. It's quite remarkable how easy it is to play. If memory serves, and it may well not, I recall Nick saying something about the shallow angle of the headstock making a big difference.

I must have forgot you had a Beneteau. Excellent. Mark I think right. I was over at his house about three years ago and played a bunch of his guitars. Really nice fellow who has a real flare for building. Lots of fans out there. Has carved a real following.

I'm going to have to try the Franklin in DADGAD again. I usually have the Walker in DADGAD and deep the Franklin in Drop D or D,G - the Eigth of January is a great song to play on the franklin. Very old. Very lovely.

Stuart
Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Stuart,

Ray

These comments clearly describe mine, which is one of his older efforts.
Nice to see that the "loose" feel on mine was not a fluke, and is something he's been able to retain after all these years. The fat, glassy trebles are a joy.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
There is no need for another guitar as I am truly contented but I am wondering about Nick's koa and aged Euro stash. I understand he was quite famous for his koa guitars and I don't have one... and I never played one that I've liked and...
I don't understand the "never played one that I've liked..."

Is that a typo or do you have issues with Nick's koa guitars?

I see that most Franklins, ex. LuthiersCollection.com, are Brazilian rosewood. I've seen very few koa Franklins for sale. How is it that you cite "he was famous for koa guitars"?

Curious, because I am waiting for my build date to come up and am anticipating a koa build.

George
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Hey Tone Gopher, hope you are well,

guess you're glad to hear that Nick's guitars open up remarkably well.

Ray will chime in with an answer to your question.

I'm pretty sure Ray meant that he had not played a KOA guitar that he liked, but had heard that Nick made a great KOA.

If that's the way you go, i want to hear all about how it sounds. Wonder if it will have a little more bite.

I don't have a KOA either.

Though I'd be tempted to do maple if I got another Franklin. Nice and dry.

Stuart
Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 AM

Hey Stuart,
You're absolutely right!!
I've never played a koa guitar that I've liked(never played a Franklin koa) and I've heard that Nick used to make quite a number of koa guitars earlier on.

I read this somewhere but can't quite remember where anymore....maybe UMGF, from a post years ago(?)

Apparently he makes a great koa guitar. Anyway George, I've seen at least 5 koa Franklins sold in the past 10 years.
If I'm not mistaken, Robin from Guitargal had one for sale about 5 years ago that she really liked.
If I get another Franklin, I'll certainly consider a koa instrument. Another flavour from this talented luthier. I believe El McMeen has a koa jumbo and hopefully he chimes in.

FPicker, seems to me that Nick has designed his instrument to be easy on our hands. Stuart is probably right in saying that the shallower neck angle plays a part in this. Nice to hear from an owner of an earlier instrument.

Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop