The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Tone Gopher,

One way or the other, I'd get on the phone with Nick and discuss what options might be available. The contact information could have been lost and Nick does build a mighty fine guitar. Email me if you wish to follow up and need any info.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartb; 01-31-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Humanist

I had a great lunch with Nick a few years ago (in Portland), just before he moved lock, stock & barrel to Missouri.

El McMeen had made the introduction, and I was anxious to meet Nick, since I had admired his work for a long time. At that time El had a Madagascar Franklin OM that was (and is!) one of the greatest guitars I have touched.

Nick is indeed a terrific guy, and he is building guitars that truly are second to none in the luthier community. Both his OM and shallow-body Jumbo are at the pinnacle of the industry, in regards to tone, fit & finish.

If Nick built a 24" scale model I would own one!

Congrats, Stuart, on a fine instrument, and a fine stable of guitars. Kim Walker is also a man to be held in the highest regard.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Tone Gopher,

One way or the other, I'd get on the phone with Nick and discuss what options might be available. The contact information could have been lost and Nick does build a mighty fine guitar. Email me if you wish to follow up and need any info.

Stuart
Thanks, Stuart. Sorry to rain on your guitar's reception. Your thread took me quite by surprise.

I had no idea that Nick had come through his "dark" days and that he was building again. That's great news.

When I made my deposit in '95, it was for the guitar that was to celebrate a host of life changes - turning 40, finishing grad school, and getting married. So, when I learned that my guitar wasn't happening, I was more than a lil' bummed. Larry Pattis helped me get over it all by selling me a fine lil' guitar that is still with me but the jones for a Franklin jumbo remains.

You're correct about contact info drifting.If Nick tried to reach me at my old address, I understand that it might not have caught up with me as I've moved several times since.

I shall write him and see what's up.

All the best to everyone - no exceptions.

George
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Thanks, Stuart. Sorry to rain on your guitar's reception. Your thread took me quite by surprise.

I had no idea that Nick had come through his "dark" days and that he was building again. That's great news.

When I made my deposit in '95, it was for the guitar that was to celebrate a host of life changes - turning 40, finishing grad school, and getting married. So, when I learned that my guitar wasn't happening, I was more than a lil' bummed. Larry Pattis helped me get over it all by selling me a fine lil' guitar that is still with me but the jones for a Franklin jumbo remains.

You're correct about contact info drifting.If Nick tried to reach me at my old address, I understand that it might not have caught up with me as I've moved several times since.

I shall write him and see what's up.

All the best to everyone - no exceptions.

Yeah, George...drop Nick a line...something good might happen!

Nick has been back building for over 5 years now, maybe longer...and I know he has absolutely made arrangements with customers who had orders go unfulfilled.

I'd love to see you end up with one of his shallow Jumbos...a way-cool guitar, and fitting for a man of your height!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! That's a lovely guitar. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I had a great lunch with Nick a few years ago (in Portland), just before he moved lock, stock & barrel to Missouri.

El McMeen had made the introduction, and I was anxious to meet Nick, since I had admired his work for a long time. At that time El had a Madagascar Franklin OM that was (and is!) one of the greatest guitars I have touched.

Nick is indeed a terrific guy, and he is building guitars that truly are second to none in the luthier community. Both his OM and shallow-body Jumbo are at the pinnacle of the industry, in regards to tone, fit & finish.

If Nick built a 24" scale model I would own one!

Congrats, Stuart, on a fine instrument, and a fine stable of guitars. Kim Walker is also a man to be held in the highest regard.
Thanks Larry,

Nick also has a ton of old wood, beautiful and aged at that. I'm very fortunate and may have all the guitars I need.

Stuart
Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

George, no worries,

This life is full of small road blocks. It's our job to move them out of the way. With luck, we have our heath for family and friends, and I say that will true belief. With additional luck, we may be able to afford a few fine guitars.

http://www.franklinguitarcompany.com/#/#home

PS, hope everything worked out re the marriage!

best,

Stuart
Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic7 View Post
Congrats! That's a lovely guitar. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Kindly,
Danny
thanks for your thoughts Danny,

What guitar are you using for your composition "Contemplation". That's a very interesting sound. Barefingers?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
thanks for your thoughts Danny,

What guitar are you using for your composition "Contemplation". That's a very interesting sound. Barefingers?
Thanks, Stuart! I'm playing my Webber 00 on that song. It has an engelmann top with IRW back and sides. I actually play with my nails.

Congrats again on your new guitar.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
This life is full of small road blocks. It's our job to move them out of the way. With luck, we have our health for family and friends, and I say that will true belief. With additional luck, we may be able to afford a few fine guitars.

http://www.franklinguitarcompany.com/#/#home

PS, hope everything worked out re the marriage!

best,

Stuart
Thanks, Stuart. Yes, the marriage worked - is still working. I am blessed with a wonderful family and enduring friends. And, as luck would have it, I do enjoy some fine instruments - instruments that have earned a permanent place in my life with their devotion to helping me maintain my sanity through the years.

I wrote Nick a note last evening. Regardless of the outcome, I am relieved to hear that he is doing well. Thank you for that.

George
Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Congratulations ! You really have an amazing collection of guitars.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Congratulations ! You really have an amazing collection of guitars.
thanks Darko,

and they never go in their case,

I can see them right now. .

I've played a goose before. Great guitar. Played it in Montreal.

Stuart
Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic7 View Post
Thanks, Stuart! I'm playing my Webber 00 on that song. It has an engelmann top with IRW back and sides. I actually play with my nails.

Congrats again on your new guitar.

Kindly,
Danny
Weber 00 eh,

You must be doing something with those electronic knobs and such,

but I am curious as to how it sounds without the electronics. Beautiful sound. dry edge to it, a hazy edge with an atriculate centre. Like that.

Stuart
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Weber 00 eh,

You must be doing something with those electronic knobs and such,

but I am curious as to how it sounds without the electronics. Beautiful sound. dry edge to it, a hazy edge with an atriculate centre. Like that.

Stuart
Thanks, Stuart. I really love that guitar. It's the one that started me down the path of handmade guitars. There's not much done to the sound. It was just recorded in a very nice studio, www.gravitybootsrecording.com, here in Nashville. The song's in open D which changes its voice a bit.

If you're ever in Nashville give me a ring and you can check it out.

Kindly,
Danny

P.S. You have a wonderful collection of guitars!!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
I wrote Nick a note last evening. Regardless of the outcome, I am relieved to hear that he is doing well. Thank you for that.
George, would you mind letting us know how your situation turns out? Nick is on my short list of builders and although I've come across nothing but positive feedback about him, how he responds to you would be useful, I think -- or at least reassuring -- in terms of making a decision.

Thanks,
Chuck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop