The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandobaron View Post
I want to make sounds like these ... Warm, a little crunchy but mostly clean. It sounds very "organic" to my ears, but thats a word I just made up, maybe there is a real word in the electric world.
The guitar tone control, or maybe the amp tone control (if it has one..) is dialled back a bit. This, combined with the neck pickup, gives you that jazzy sound.

Just about every guitar can do a variation of this. Single coils will tend to be a tad more dynamic and more focussed but a 335 with low-wind humbuckers could impress too.

That's a Gibson Goldtone GA-15 (aka Trace Elliot Velocette) he's playing through.

Back to your Julian Lage clip.. the amp is set so there's no audible distortion (tube clipping) until he strums a chord with moderate force. Single notes will sound clean (although there is still some pre-distortion clipping going on which adds a little something to the sound).

Any tube amp can be set up like that, ie with the gain a little under the break-up point. The bigger the wattage, and the more sensitive the speaker(s), the louder it will be.

Here's another nice clean sound - but he's playing through a solid state amp so it won't break up when you lean into it, the way a tube amp would with the gain set close to the break-up point.

Ultimately, it's all a balancing act: pickups, amp, speaker/cab - and maybe a pedal or two - all have to work together to give you the sound in your head. There's probably more than one combination which would give you a really nice, responsive, touch-sensitive "jazzy" type of sound to play with.

Incidentally, many classic tube amps are surprisingly simple circuits. The Tweed Champ is very a popular DIY project.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Mulling things over still, and doing a bunch of research. Musician's Friend is running a 15% off, and that could get me a Bugera V5 and a American Special Tele for $1020 total, which seems like a decent deal. I'd happily buy used, but don't seem to see much in the way of savings over that on places like Reverb, and I'm in a fairly remote area when it comes to scouring Reverb.

Thoughts on this price for the amp and guitar?

Thanks,
Baron
Old 02-22-2017, 03:16 PM

I also just found a 2015 MIM tele with Texas Special pickups and 3 saddle barrel bridge setup local on craigslist, they are asking $450, but I could try to negotiate.

Thanks,
Baron
Old 02-23-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I also just found a 2015 MIM tele with Texas Special pickups and 3 saddle barrel bridge setup local on craigslist, they are asking $450, but I could try to negotiate.

Thanks,
Baron
The Classic Vibe Tele gets a LOT of love here and everywhere. $399 without discount. Many say they are as good or better than the MIM stuff. Worth a look IMO, as are my favorites - G&L

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-23-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
The Classic Vibe Tele gets a LOT of love here and everywhere. $399 without discount. Many say they are as good or better than the MIM stuff. Worth a look IMO, as are my favorites - G&L
Thanks Roy, I'll keep my eyes out. Also been intrigued by the Baja. I'm going to go to a store that apparently has a bunch of various teles and see what I can learn.

Thanks,
Baron
Old 02-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The guitar tone control, or maybe the amp tone control (if it has one..) is dialled back a bit. This, combined with the neck pickup, gives you that jazzy sound.

Just about every guitar can do a variation of this. Single coils will tend to be a tad more dynamic and more focussed but a 335 with low-wind humbuckers could impress too.

That's a Gibson Goldtone GA-15 (aka Trace Elliot Velocette) he's playing through.

Back to your Julian Lage clip.. the amp is set so there's no audible distortion (tube clipping) until he strums a chord with moderate force. Single notes will sound clean (although there is still some pre-distortion clipping going on which adds a little something to the sound).

Any tube amp can be set up like that, ie with the gain a little under the break-up point. The bigger the wattage, and the more sensitive the speaker(s), the louder it will be.

Here's another nice clean sound - but he's playing through a solid state amp so it won't break up when you lean into it, the way a tube amp would with the gain set close to the break-up point.

Ultimately, it's all a balancing act: pickups, amp, speaker/cab - and maybe a pedal or two - all have to work together to give you the sound in your head. There's probably more than one combination which would give you a really nice, responsive, touch-sensitive "jazzy" type of sound to play with.

Incidentally, many classic tube amps are surprisingly simple circuits. The Tweed Champ is very a popular DIY project.
Hey great post. thanks. Being that I just got back into electric after 40 +years so am basically a newbie. I find a lot of useful knowledge on this forum
things as simple as "the guitar or amp tone control dilled back" is great info for us old beginners.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
...Musician's Friend is running a 15% off, and that could get me a Bugera V5...
Just picked one up myself - here's the link:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=460805

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars