The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Default Pickup option: Should i...?

...Get a Baggs Session DI for the existing element EAS-V system in my Gibson J35, or pull it and replace with a BBand A2.2 AST/UST system?

Please, no K&K commercials, I'm aware how great they are, not going down that road here.

Thanks for your recommendations!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 AM

My Baggs Session DI sounds great with the Element Active VTC in my Breedlove. Don't know if that addresses your question properly, but that's my $0.02

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 01-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

While I do like the sound of that B-Band system I find it has pretty low output compared to some of the other systems I've owned over the years.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 PM

The Session is not going to change your sound that much. So, you
had better have a sound that you already like before you add the Session.
It's more evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

_Roger
Old 01-10-2017, 12:45 PM

Bender: While I've had 2 of these bBands over the years, they were both barn doors, so I hadn't encountered the low output. That's helpful, thanks. Good to know.

Roger: Yes, I'd heard it was a subtle effect. I'm not a huge fan of the element, but I can live with it. Most times I use it, it's for convenience or in a high feedback scenario, which is why I am not going ahead with SBT. So, in that sense it's ok. I also like the idea of adding a magnetic or mic to the ring down the road.

But is the session really THAT ineffectual? I mean, I'm not expecting it to change the whole structure of my sound... Just smooth out some mid peaks and add a little snap. And something I don't have to spend a lot of time dialing in.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamofgod View Post
...Get a Baggs Session DI for the existing element EAS-V system in my Gibson J35, or pull it and replace with a BBand A2.2 AST/UST system?

Please, no K&K commercials, I'm aware how great they are, not going down that road here.

Thanks for your recommendations!
I put a B-Band A1.2N-1470 AST (which is just the band transducer with endpin preamp) in my acoustic-only Martin D Junior and got really good amplified tone. The output of this system is quite high and it also works well with an LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI. This is my first experience with a B-Band product and I'm pleased with its performance. The B-Band A2.2 AST/UST system you're contemplating should give you even more control over varying venue situations and I would assume that with its onboard preamp, output level should be decent or similar to my AST-only system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Thanks, SpruceTop!
Yeah, I really do like the sound of the AST. It has that sort of organic, woody tone in the attack. It doesn't sound like a mic'd guitar top, it sounds like a guitar top. Ugh, I think I am convincing myself, I didn't want to have to go throught he hassle of yanking the Baggs and doing an install, but it is looking that way...
Old 01-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I would vote switching out the Baggs element for the B Band unit you're considering. I really like Baggs products and their approach, but I wish they'd do something different for their UST solution. I haven't used a B Band UST for over a decade, but I prefer its tone over the Baggs and I definitely prefer a 2 source sound over a single source. I have no experience with the B Band AST, but I imagine it is in the K&K type range - a good warm, woody sound.

let us know what you decide, I always appreciate shared knowledge on pickup quests.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Before you modify the guitar, take it to a guitar store and ask to demo a few of the preamps from Baggs, Fishman Aura, Zoom A3 and a Body Rez pedal. If none do the trick, you need a new pickup system to go with your favorite of the preamps, or a new system with internal preamp.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM

No K&K okay. Try a JJB
Old 01-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
No K&K okay. Try a JJB
Ha!!! I've had them. Nice stuff and GREAT people. I find that the Church I often play in swallows up the sound of the piezo sbt's when on their own. Likely because the sound system is junk, but I can't afford to replace that.

Also, for all you KK/JJB/BGM fans out there... I have a gift card for an evil box store that doesn't sell any of them. So, B-Band gives me a system that cures both of those evils- UST + SBT(AST) and is sold by the devil.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Before you modify the guitar, take it to a guitar store and ask to demo a few of the preamps from Baggs, Fishman Aura, Zoom A3 and a Body Rez pedal. If none do the trick, you need a new pickup system to go with your favorite of the preamps, or a new system with internal preamp.
Thanks Dave. That would be the smart way to go.

I followed your thread about the Franken-DTAR-KnK you made... how is that working out for you?
Old 01-10-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dave. That would be the smart way to go.

I followed your thread about the Franken-DTAR-KnK you made... how is that working out for you?
It's been working out really well for me. Of course, I'm playing in situations where the K&K will "work" for me, otherwise. But, it just sounds better with the Mic. The preamp in that unit is clean and noise free.

Sounds like K&K isn't a good fit for your church.

For players who need a UST, I would think the DTAR multi with the built in UST would be great. It's not expensive. The LR Baggs Anthem seems very popular.

I know I will be dismissed by some, but I do recommend the Body rez pedal. It is a full fledged preamp in a tiny box with one knob. I feel like they should have put more knobs on it for guitarists to take it seriously. But, it has parametric EQ, compressor, filters, shelves, and various other kitchen accoutrements. We run this little pedal through our PA system for every acoustic group who comes to town. They all love it and sound better with it. We just turn the dial to 12 and let it go. I have the same effect built into the Line 6 and Play Acoustic product. This assumes you want a more realistic acoustic tone. If you just need a boost to cut through, it might not help you.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I feel like they should have put more knobs on it for guitarists to take it seriously.
Ain't that the truth... when I worked for said evil box store, I managed the pro audio department. We used to talk about the need for a piece of gear to have a high KSI in order to sell... "Knobs per Square Inch".
Old 01-10-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth... when I worked for said evil box store, I managed the pro audio department. We used to talk about the need for a piece of gear to have a high KSI in order to sell... "Knobs per Square Inch".

LOL! Good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification