The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM

I have that problem when I'm learning a new pattern (fingerstyle or strumming). It takes me quite a while to get the pattern so well that I'm then able to lay a lyric on top of it, particularly if the lyric has syncopated elements. Once I have it all together, I agree with willie: it's the singing that carries the emotional weight of the song and it's the singing that non-musicians always praise me for after a public performance.

IMO, then, I believe what's important to listeners is (in this order):

1) singing
2) groove
3) getting all the guitar correct, chords, fills,

(which explains why Son House, who played fine guitar, is most impressive to me in "John the Revelator," a capella--and also explains why you can just mute the strings if you forget a chord and keep the beat with a bass note, and you'll be fine in performance)

But when I'm learning a challenging piece, the order I learn in is:

1) guitar part alone
2) add singing, and if I can't get it, it means that I don't know the guitar part well enough yet.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Forget the tabs...just play the chords and you'll be singing as of yesterday! Your concentrating too much on tabs with are very mind boggling to follow, play, and sing for many people. Chords, strum patterns, and words, and you'll be good to go for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write