The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-29-2010, 01:09 AM

Default a special "shout out" to Chris Wood

Well, after years of debate and dreaming, I finally bit the hook on getting a custom acoustic guitar built. Stumbled upon several luthier sites and discovered Chris Wood's work through this very forum and was impressed with the work displayed.

First and foremost, Chris' service and prompt responses are top notch! Extremely considerate and knowledgeable of his craft and I could definitely hear his passion and enthusiasm for building (I hear he is handy with automobiles and hot-rods too) and working with his hands.

Hopefully this thread will live as a display of progress, as I am finally realizing that "dream" guitar, through my efforts and patience in life, to be possible.

I decided to go with a OM body style (something balanced and can sit in wonderful contrast to my D-28).

Guitar Specs:
Top: AAA Englemann Spruce

Back: Honduran Rosewood w/ some nice Sapwood (Chris was extremely fast on providing me several samples to chose from)

Sides: Honduran Rosewood

Neck: Five Piece, Mahogany (tinted to match Rosewood), Flame Maple Pinning, Ebony, Maple Pinning, and Mahogany.

Bridge: Ebony (Pyramid)

Fretboard: Ebony (Stainless Steel Frets), Maple Pinning on Sides

Binding: Ebony with Flame Maple Pinning

Purfling (Body Only): Brown Lip Oyster

Headstock: Ebony Veneer w/ Flame Maple Pinning for Top, Ebony Veneer for the Back w/ Smile Volute

Tuners: Nickel Plated Waverlys w/ Ebony Buttons

Nut, Saddle, Pins: Bone

I actually went with 1 3/4 Nut and 2 5/16 Saddle (just like the D21 Special).

If you guys are on the fence on having a custom instrument built OR are currently looking at luthiers, definitely keep Chris Wood's work in mind! The price may surprise you (especially with the going rate of many mass-produced instruments) and the service is outstanding!

-Kris

Last edited by sutherland; 09-20-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Wink Amen to that!

Chris has gotten off to an exceptional start. I've played all of his guitars to date, and have really been impressed with his work. The boy's got it going!

His work is really first rate - including the work on his Cobra - all just beautiful craftsmanship.

I've got a lot of flattops, have been in the music biz for about 13 years (paid guitar nut), have played tons of flattops at shows and jams for years - I'm not snooty about guitars, but it takes a real good one to impress me. I was impressed by Chris' #1 and continue to be impressed with each successive one he builds.

If I'm lucky, I may get to try out your OM - of course, just to make sure it's a good one.
-leec
Old 08-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

This should be a really cool guitar. I can't wait to get started on it. I'll post pics as soon as I have some that are worthwhile.

Chris.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecag View Post
Chris has gotten off to an exceptional start. I've played all of his guitars to date, and have really been impressed with his work. The boy's got it going!

His work is really first rate - including the work on his Cobra - all just beautiful craftsmanship.

I've got a lot of flattops, have been in the music biz for about 13 years (paid guitar nut), have played tons of flattops at shows and jams for years - I'm not snooty about guitars, but it takes a real good one to impress me. I was impressed by Chris' #1 and continue to be impressed with each successive one he builds.

If I'm lucky, I may get to try out your OM - of course, just to make sure it's a good one.
-leec

Ha! Well I hope you enjoy taking it through it's trial run when it is completed!

Chris' website has been a point of traffic for other guitarists within the office and they all have been pinging me on the latest status updates. Today, I decided on the purfling that will adorn the Englemann top, and decided to go with a very warm and classy Brown Lip Oyster:

Something about the subtle iridescent splashes and hints of blue and aqua, I imagined will play quite well with the dark ebony binding. Not quite as bold as Paua, yet upholds the theme of the instrument: which I am envisioning being an upscale/deco aesthetic to a classic design.

Looking at Chris' other work, he has such an incredible eye for contrast while showing restraint to allow the quality of the materials and craft to be on display.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM

Awesome... love supporting the new guys!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop