The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Well yikes... I've been checking this thing out on the Blackbird site and it was love at first sight. Didn't know it wasn't readily available.

Anyway, I thought it would make a great guest guitar to compliment my GX and something to throw in The Jeep or take hiking, kayaking, etc.

Just not sure about that sound port. I didn't like it on the Levoria ~ I stuffed a rag in it ~ and it looks like the port on this guitar is too small to be converted to a beer holder.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 AM

I can only comment on the sound port for my Lucky 13. I like it -- it acts like a bass-reflex port in a speaker cabinet and enhances the lower end / primary body air resonance of this small guitar. But I can see how some players might not like the more "in your face" character of the sound.

An L13 can be ordered without the standard sound port. That is probably also true for the Savoy. But I tend to trust makers when they add them. They don't put in the extra labor without a reason. YMMV.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
So, a question about the Ekoa production: how long does it take to make a Savoy, from laying up the first bit to tuning up the strings and checking it? Can they only make one at a time? (Assuming only one mold)

I understand boat building, and know that small production manufacturers have one hull mold per model. Is that the same with CF/Ekoa builders? If the demand is great, do they invest in additional molds?

With boats, the molds have a definite lifespan before they wear to the point they need to be replaced... same with guitar molds?

This inquiring mind wants to know.
Jim, I don't know the exact time it would take to complete one guitar, but I can confirm that one mold equals one guitar per day. Joe has been shooting for one completed Savoy per week, which would give the world 50 guitars per year. With the Savoy, Blackbird now has 8 models that sell as soon as we get them in. It would be 9, but the Super OM has been removed from the lineup. This was a shock to me because I had no problem selling them, and in fact, most of them sold in the store after clients tried them for the first time. But given what Joe has done with Ekoa so far, I can see why they would want to put more of their energy in to that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
This is the first time I have looked at a carbon fiber guitar. I am impressed. The sound has got my attention. I'm not so thrilled with the shiny plastic looking back and head stock though. I will be looking into carbon fiber guitars now.
Actually, the Ekoa line probably does not belong in this section with carbon fiber guitars, because it's not meant to compete with them, the material was designed to compete with high end wood guitars, and by that I mean high end boutique brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Well yikes... I've been checking this thing out on the Blackbird site and it was love at first sight. Didn't know it wasn't readily available.

Anyway, I thought it would make a great guest guitar to compliment my GX and something to throw in The Jeep or take hiking, kayaking, etc.

Just not sure about that sound port. I didn't like it on the Levoria ~ I stuffed a rag in it ~ and it looks like the port on this guitar is too small to be converted to a beer holder.

Any thoughts on that?
Well, the Savoy would be about the best money can buy for the use you are describing, and we can certainly ask Joe if he would omit the sound port. However, the sound port does do a nice job of directing sound towards the player.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Actually, the Ekoa line probably does not belong in this section with carbon fiber guitars, because it's not meant to compete with them, the material was designed to compete with high end wood guitars, and by that I mean high end boutique brands.
Emerald's woodies can be considered like that too (...just yankin' yer chain, Ted).

Seriously, I think the Blackbird ekoa guitars should be in this section (imo, they really don't belong in the General/wood forum, so where else?), but as I've mentioned before in other threads, I think it's time to modify the heading of this subforum to "Composite Guitars" (I think ekoa linen could be considered that) which would capture all non-wood guitars.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Guest 928

Tom;

I agree that a wider classification might be better. But I would not want to eliminate all wood--for example, plywood is a composite of sorts, which complicates the classifying.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
....but the Super OM has been removed from the lineup. This was a shock to me because I had no problem selling them, and in fact, most of them sold in the store after clients tried them for the first time. But given what Joe has done with Ekoa so far, I can see why they would want to put more of their energy in to that line.....
The Super OM in my limited experience is a really nice guitar. It sounds very much like my Rainsong WS-1000 (that is how I described it to my wife when considering it) and also overlaps tonally with the Lucky 13. Super OM also has a bit of an avante gard appearance. So I can see why focusing on other models would be prudent for Blackbird.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:55 AM

Evan, my suggestion is based on the tonal properties of Ekoa guitars. Based on that, we should be able to post in the General section abut them if we want. In fact, if/when I get my Savoy, I will definitely post an NGD in the General section as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The Super OM in my limited experience is a really nice guitar. It sounds very much like my Rainsong WS-1000 (that is how I described it to my wife when considering it) and also overlaps tonally with the Lucky 13. Super OM also has a bit of an avante gard appearance. So I can see why focusing on other models would be prudent for Blackbird.
I think the tone of the Super OM is a bit more mainstream, so easier to accept for someone not yet used to the carbon tone. Course the looks are anything but mainstream. I have two more being built for me, after that we will have to see what happens.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM

This section should be probably be rename to composite guitars. Whether the material is carbon fiber, fiberglass, Kevlar , linen, or another product down the road. These are basically guitars of man made materials as opposed to traditional wood? It's a misnomer now in that the soundboards of all these guitars are not pure carbon fiber.

Classifying guitars on tonal property is a bit too subjective and nebulous. I did a Recording of three guitars two wood and my Rainsong JM1000. Most all the general section thought it was wood.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 PM

Or, you could rename the

"General Acoustic Guitar Discussion" section to the

"General Wood & Wood Laminate Acoustic Guitar Discussion" section.

Anything else would have to find a place elsewhere.

Probably here.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 PM

Carbon tone?

All I hear is guitar. Maybe it's just me.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM

Note that there is no pick guard on the one that Joe guy is playing... they will come with one I believe if you want . I hope I am not bottom listed like Ted.
Also I like the looks of the guitar over his shoulder.

. PS.. Emerald...(I didn't start this)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

Speaking of a Savoy nylon string. Blackbird has a fine history of production nylon string instruments. The Rider Nylon string guitar is phenomenal; competes with good classical guitar sound, is light, and nicely stylized. The Super OMN was sweet. The uke is a nylon and has great projection and tone. And so, given its history, I would not be surprised to somewhere along the line see a production Savoy nylon strung guitar.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:01 PM

I love my Lucky 13 - glad to see the Savoy has the same dual soundport concept (side soundhole plus the open hole at headstock). Really aids the volume and projection! Can't wait to see some of these out there as Joe cranks out production...

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 04-21-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Sorry if I missed it....but what is the Savoy listing for? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Interesting guitar. The specs show it is a bit smaller than the Lucky 13; a sweet spot scale of 24.5 on a small guitar is going to make it not feel cramped. The images on Blackbird's site don't show a detail shot of the back - I'm wondering what the shape is... flat? Rib bevel? What is the texture/feel of the back and sides? Smooth? Semi-gloss? Hard to tell from the photos.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber