The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Unhappy Intonation issue on Rainsong Jumbo

I have an 8 year old Rainsong JM1000 it has the older N1 style thinner neck. I pulled it out after not playing it for several months and I put a new set of DR Rare lights on it. I had been using D'Addario EJ16s on it in the past. All of the sudden intonation on the G string is dramatically bad where its quite sharp as you get further up the fretboard. What do you guys think could be causing this issue? Do you think its just the different brand of strings? Its pretty dramatically off, so bad you can't play it. The G string has a slight sitar type buzz when you play it open as well. I'm thinking of pulling these strings and going back to maybe Mediums or D'Addario Lights again to see if it fixes the problem potentially.

Thanks for any help, I've been around high end guitars for a lot of years and this is a new one for me.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Just a thought.....maybe it's a problem that has developed with the nut slot for that string. If so, it's an easy fix. It could also be a saddle issue, but I'd suspect the nut first.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:03 PM

First guess, the nut slot has gotten rounded off instead of having a sharp point.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

DR Rare lights don't agree with my nut. I put a new set of Elixirs on it and the problem went completely away. I think the wrap on the DR brand is thinner. Kind of interesting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber