The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-10-2002, 08:17 AM

Default This GAS thing and the "Lefty" Epiphone AJ-18

First of all I am a "lefty" - playing "lefty" guitars. As you might know stores usually have only one lefty - a cheap Fender that I hate and can't play. I have a local store that I ordered a custom lefty Baby M from in June which is very nice for it's size - but thin on tone. I went to Boston for training in Sept. and found a store that had a lefty 314CE in stock. I played it and fell in love with it - but how could I justify to my wife that I wanted a $1300 guitar (I've only been at it for a few years and I have a classical and a Baby M).

Came home and went to my local store to get some new strings and they had a lefty AJ-18 there and it was only $230. I picked it up, played it, and I really liked it. I figured that it "might" hold over my "need" to have the Taylor for a while.

I went home and told my wife about it and that I wanted to buy it. She says that we just bought you that guitar in June (the Baby). I said that I need more of a tone and even though I would really like that guitar I played in Boston, I could live with this for a while and it was cheap. She said why should I get the Epi when sooner or later I would want the Taylor.

She then says (to my surprise) - Get the Taylor for Xmas. I almost dropped to the floor. I came home wanting the Epi and she okayed purchase of the Taylor. I order the 314CE LTD(Imbuia) model and get it on Xmas day. I am so happy. I love the guitar - looks and sound. I am being very careful by keeping it in the case. I keep my Tak classical out to play when I want to bang around for a short time.

I went into the store the other day to get some new strings put on my classical (they are such a hassle) and I have some time to kill. I pick up the Epi AJ-18 and start playing it. It really has a sound that sounds enjoyable to my ears and it has a great action. It's easy to play. Even though I bought this new Taylor I still want this guitar to sit on the stand - rather than the Tak classical. I can't believe that this GAS thing is so insidious.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:44 AM

Yep, and I think lefty GAS is even more acute since it is much more difficult for us to satisfy it. For example, I've had GAS for one of those 314 limited Imbuia models but I've never seen a lefty one. In fact, there's probably only one and the guy that owns it sure ain't likely to sell it to me.

Seriously though, it is interesting how we can have instruments we love yet still want more and more.
Steve
Old 01-10-2002, 08:54 AM

rbachman,

Can you recall EXACTLY what you said to your wife? Please write it down and post it to the forum!

bnjp
Old 01-10-2002, 03:17 PM
Cocobologist

I've been dealing with this since I got back into playing a couple years ago. Trying to work my way up the GAS ladder. One way that I justify an upgrade with my wife is by selling my least desired guitar on eBay as a sacrifice to the GAS gods -- In your case, that would be the Tak Classical.

I normally go the eBay route. The routine is as follows: Post the auction on eBay with a generous reserve price, show the wife, then immediately go to the store and buy new guitar. When wife questions why you bought new guitar so soon, tell her it's okay, you're selling the old one and will pay the credit card bill at the end of the month with the proceeds. Time passes, auction ends without reserve being met, wife forgets about it. When she does remembers and calls you to task, you say, "What? That ol' thing? Why, that's just a cheap knock-around I picked up off the web!"

NOTE: Don't do this too often, and then only with guitar brands that wife is not familiar with. I've talked often and at length about Taylor price and quality and, therefore, can no longer use this routine for TAS.

Now for Larrivee -- They sell those at Sears, don't they?...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 01-11-2002, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the tip Gutch. Unfortunately, I can't sell the Tak because of sentimental reasons. It's my 1st guitar - the one I strummed my very 1st Am, G, D, F#m, Cmaj7, etc etc.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:40 AM

rbachman,

Yep, lefty Gas can be pretty deadly. Its not overpowering in the sense of "oh my god, i've just found the holygrail" like the righthanders sometimes experience after trying thousands of instruments and finding the "ONE"

Its more like "hmmm?, do I like how this guitar sounds?, if so, I have to buy it cause I'll never hear that sound ever again otherwise"

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 01-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally posted by rbachman
Thanks for the tip Gutch. Unfortunately, I can't sell the Tak because of sentimental reasons. It's my 1st guitar - the one I strummed my very 1st Am, G, D, F#m, Cmaj7, etc etc.
That's just it! The wife THINKS you're selling the guitar, but you've set the reserve so high that no one ever reaches it! In the end, you have your new guitar AND your old guitar!!

Okay, perhaps my plan is a bit devious and will, occasionally, cause major fights between my wife and I because I wasn't being completely honest. Then again, look what Tony Soprano gets away with -- In the grand scheme of things, a new guitar is nothin'!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification