The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-30-2013, 01:51 PM

Default Peter S Rodman is building my new Guitar!

I've been obsessing over which new guitar to get as I've spent what felt like hundreds of hours researching and playing as many guitars as possible over the past few months. After coming to the realization, that I wanted a handmade OM sized guitar..I really focused my research. I already own and love a Webber and wanted a different guitar in a similar price point and quality, which is not an easy task. Especially since the two guitars that really blew me away were both north of $8k (Sexauer and Merrill).

To cut to the chase; after researching Sexauer guitars and reading few posts on AGF, I learned that that Bruce had a graduate of his Master Class Workshop named Peter S Rodman. There was a great thread from a couple of years ago when they were building together. So after digging around to see who this Peter Rodman guy is; I was able to track down a few people who have played and/or own his guitars and they all love them. Im sure they were biased, but there was a sincere passion in the way they talked about them. I contemplated taking a little bit of a plunge with the hopes that the Pupil has learned a similar craft as the Master. So I reached out to Peter and after some wonderful correspondence, he told me that he's in the process of finishing his latest guitar and it happens to have virtually all the specs that I was looking for (both build structure and aesthetics). It was if all the stars were aligned so I took the plunge! After all..the guy graduted the Sexhauer Master class with Honors..so how bad can it be? Also..his price point was in line with what I wanted to spend.

The guitar will be finished around the end of the year and I will certainly post updates. In the meantime, I'll post some production pics that Peter sent.

I'm excited to say the least and wanted to share....Take a look at the beauty in the making:

OM 13-fret (hence "virtually" all the specs as I've never played a 13 fret before)
Solid Sitka Spruce top with Guatemalan Rosewood back and sides.

Last edited by Rossw; 01-11-2014 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Had the origin of the Rosewood incorrect in orginal post
Old 11-30-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossw View Post
I've been obsessing over which new guitar to get as I've spent what felt like hundreds of hours researching and playing as many guitars as possible over the past few months. After coming to the realization, that I wanted a handmade OM sized guitar..I really focused my research. I already own and love a Webber and wanted a different guitar in a similar price point and quality, which is not an easy task. Especially since the two guitars that really blew me away were both north of $8k (Sexhauer and Merrill).

To cut to the chase; after researching Sexhauer guitars and reading few posts on AGF, I learned that that Bruce had a graduate of his Master Class Workshop named Peter S Rodman. There was a great thread from a couple of years ago when they were building together. So after digging around to see who this Peter Rodman guy is; I was able to track down a few people who have played and/or own his guitars and they all love them. Im sure they were biased, but there was a sincere passion in the way they talked about them. I contemplated taking a little bit of a plunge with the hopes that the Pupil has learned a similar craft as the Master. So I reached out to Peter and after some wonderful correspondence, he told me that he's in the process of finishing his latest guitar and it happens to have virtually all the specs that I was looking for (both build structure and aesthetics). It was if all the stars were aligned so I took the plunge! After all..the guy graduted the Sexhauer Master class with Honors..so how bad can it be? Also..his price point was in line with what I wanted to spend.

The guitar will be finished around the end of the year and I will certainly post updates. In the meantime, I'll post some production pics that Peter sent.

I'm excited to say the least and wanted to share....Take a look at the beauty in the making:

OM 13-fret (hence "virtually" all the specs as I've never played a 13 fret before)
Solid Sitka Spruce top with Nicaraguan Rosewood back and sides.

Looks lovely. Cant wait for more pictures . Jus wondering what made you go for 13 fret besides curiosity?
Also in case you order another handmade custom instrument in the future, throw it to the custom shop section.
Timothy
Old 11-30-2013, 02:35 PM

Default Tim

Thanks...she is a beauty. I didn't actually order this as he already had it production. I just"pre-bought" as is. Funny..The only thing about the guitar that I wouldn't have ordered if it were custom is the 13 fret, but I'm hoping I love it.

Apologies for not posting in the Custom Forum, but I thought this was the right spot because it wasn't technically custom.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:45 PM

so why again did you go for the 13 fret?
I mean I just have no idea about the 13 thingie but from what I understand you just took it because this guy was guarantee of a sweet guitar in your price range. Is that correct?
Old 11-30-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1mothy View Post
so why again did you go for the 13 fret?
I mean I just have no idea about the 13 thingie but from what I understand you just took it because this guy was guarantee of a sweet guitar in your price range. Is that correct?
I sence some sarcasm? I thought about a different way. I decided I wanted one of his guitars and this one was available with all but one or two specs that I might not have chosen. 13 frets compared to 12 wasn't enough for me not to buy it. My other option was to order a custom build and wait. 13 vs 12 wasn't enought to justify the wait in my mind. He also said I can return it if it didn't love it since it wasn't custom. Little risk in my end.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Oh I apologize but you got me wrong there. I am just wondering from playing point what does 13 fret actually offer as I have never encountered such guitar
Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 PM

I haven't ever played a 13 fret (to my knowledge), but the people who own them seem to love them. I bet you'll love yours too!

The problem with posting in the Custom Shop is not nearly as many people look at it. This thread would be fine over there, I think, but here is good too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop