The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-02-2013, 02:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

The more slab sawn wood will show more quilt, an the same wood when quarter sawn will show flame, though fairly ropy. Definitely true with "the tree".
Old 12-03-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The more slab sawn wood will show more quilt, an the same wood when quarter sawn will show flame, though fairly ropy. Definitely true with "the tree".
With the last boards of Tortoiseshell Tree that David Borson and I cut up, the real dark veiny stuff, it was very well quartered Bruce. The veins are Medullary Rays.

I would normally differ to you on matters of wood Bruce, I'm a pretty wise human and don't often disagree with people with your expertise. However I choose to differ here. This IS quarter sawn. David agrees, as does Michael Greenfield, Harvey Leach, Jim Olson, Richard Hover and others who have seen and purchased consecutive sliced sets from the same billet or saw the board before it was cut. The Tree is odd ball stuff…

Can't get the link to work in the forum…
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55602426@N08/9449932962/

Last edited by BBWW; 12-03-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

:-)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
With the last boards of Tortoiseshell Tree that David Borson and I cut up, the real dark veiny stuff, it was very well quartered Bruce. The veins are Medullary Rays.

I would normally differ to you on matters of wood Bruce, I'm a pretty wise human and don't often disagree with people with your expertise. However I choose to differ here. This IS quarter sawn. David agrees, as does Michael Greenfield, Harvey Leach, Jim Olson, Richard Hover and others who have seen and purchased consecutive sliced sets from the same billet or saw the board before it was cut. The Tree is odd ball stuff…

Can't get the link to work in the forum…
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55602426@N08/9449932962/
Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 PM

LMAO!

"Now wait a minute Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wait a minute!!! You're saying I'm w..w..w..w. . . . wr ... .. .. .

I do have a Tree set here which is very quartered, and shows the figure I expect. The sets "my Buddy" has do not appear to be quartered to me, though it certainly is VERY difficult to be certain. He has some which show the tortoise figure which has proven to be very popular, and they did not appear quartered to me, but perhaps I will get a chance to look more closely. I absolutely do NOT think the rimming around the blisters has anything to do with medulary display. Perhaps that is not what you meant.

If you get into my neighborhood with truly quartered Tortoise (blister w/rim), I'd like to see it as I have thought it an oxymoron.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM

I would never say that word when it comes to wood, especially The Tree. In my talks with Robert Novak, this log had a nasty spiral to it and keeping quarter was very tough. I can only say what was seen in these last boards and the discussions I've had with wizards far above my pay grade. I try not to meddle in the ways of wizards, but I can't help myself, it's sad really.

All the other Blister Quilt / Tortoiseshell / Dark Veiny stuff I've had I did not have the boards to resaw, just the random sets. I can't speak for those.

I think I do have some photos though that show the end of a 2 inch thick board. I'll look.

That said, I'd love to pay you a visit with some wood and check out the shop then maybe this Muggle can be put back in his place.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

How is that bit of wood you posted cut Howard? I looks like hens teeth to me.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop