The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hey, Ernie. Your EP "Element" guitar was the first major evolution of this model. Remember, we were talking about a lot of ideas? I proposed a few offset sound hole ideas, a couple of which have kinda stuck in my mind. I'm definitely going to try one of those designs soon.
Some of the best design ideas have come from my clients. With the caveat, I get to do the actual interpreting of the idea. Sort of a Lennon and McCartney thing.

They say a camel is a horse, designed by a committee.

But they also say, great minds think alike.
Yes I remember but I resent being called a camel. I'd rather be called a......hmmm let me think about this one.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Steve, first I like the new AGF name. Always thought the other was cool, but this (at least to me) makes you stand out more from a marketing standpoint.

Love the guitars. That triple port looks fantastic, and can't wait to see the shiny pictures when all done. I also like the thought put into the gentle multi-scale of the first instrument. Really beautiful work!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-13-2013, 12:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Yes I remember but I resent being called a camel. I'd rather be called a......hmmm let me think about this one.
Actually, when we're talking about your Element guitar, I am firmly in the camp of "great minds think alike". You have a lot of great ideas, Ernie, and they are all informed by your experience with great guitars. I really appreciate your input, and your well-considered advice to advance the design and aesthetics of the EP model. And I will always call that cutaway shape, and the new bridge design the "Element" style, named after you, and because the word is so appropriate to the design process.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
This Red Gum (Liquidambar styraciflua) is a North American wood.

It is native to the Eastern United States, from Southwestern Connecticut to Florida; also found in Mountains of Mexico and Guatemala.
I bought mine from a top-rated tonewood seller on eBay. The sets are all quarter sawn for best figure and stability, kiln dried, and well acclimated. It bends nicely, glues very well, and sands and finishes like a dream.
Thanks for the clarification. That's a new timber to me, and beautiful!

2016 Maton 808C 70th Anniversary Edition (Australian Blackwood and Sitka Spruce)

1969 Maton FG100 (Mahogany & Sitka Spruce)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, when we're talking about your Element guitar, I am firmly in the camp of "great minds think alike". You have a lot of great ideas, Ernie, and they are all informed by your experience with great guitars. I really appreciate your input, and your well-considered advice to advance the design and aesthetics of the EP model. And I will always call that cutaway shape, and the new bridge design the "Element" style, named after you, and because the word is so appropriate to the design process.
I'm blushing. Thanks a million my friend.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
I'm blushing. Thanks a million my friend.
I have good memories of building your EP Element, Ernie. I dredged up some photos of the guitar. Let's show everyone what we've been talking about.
This is Ernie's guitar, which is the first one of the second generation. All the "Element" style points (Ernie's input) are in this one.

That's Waterfall Bubinga with a LS Redwood top. Ernie supplied these woods. Ordinarily, I'm a bit reticent to work with woods provided by the client, but who in their right mind could resist working with these gorgeous woods? I guess Ernie knows where to find the good stuff.

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM

For having closely inspected Steve's instruments at Healdsburg, I can say his guitars are beautiful and impeccably finished. The inlay work is superb and looks very original. Steve makes modern lines look classic.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I have good memories of building your EP Element, Ernie. I dredged up some photos of the guitar. Let's show everyone what we've been talking about.
This is Ernie's guitar, which is the first one of the second generation. All the "Element" style points (Ernie's input) are in this one.

That's Waterfall Bubinga with a LS Redwood top. Ernie supplied these woods. Ordinarily, I'm a bit reticent to work with woods provided by the client, but who in their right mind could resist working with these gorgeous woods? I guess Ernie knows where to find the good stuff.

Cheers!
Woohoo! That is one sexy guitar.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
For having closely inspected Steve's instruments at Healdsburg, I can say his guitars are beautiful and impeccably finished. The inlay work is superb and looks very original. Steve makes modern lines look classic.
Thank you for your kind words, Mau. Considering your excellent taste in guitars, that really means a lot to me.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

The anticipation is building... I just finished the third round of wet-sanding, so I'm up to 1200 grit now.
I like to break up the wet-sanding process into several sessions, one grit at a time. To do it all at once is just too onerous a task. I've gotten tendinitis in my elbows from hours of scrubbing. Not my favorite task!

I finished my first several dozen guitars with good old McFadden's Nitro lacquer, and was really bummed out when the company went out of business. The original McF's formula was sold to Seagrave Coatings, and that's what I use now. It costs almost double what the McF's used to cost, but IMO, there's nothing better if you're into lacquer finishing. It's the best lacquer I've ever used. It seems even better than the McFadden lacquer, but that may just be that after all these years, I'm finally figuring out the finer points of doing a good lacquer finish.

Another tip I'd like to pass on to others who do their own lacquer finishes is, the very best finishing abrasives I've ever used are 3M IMPERIAL wet-or-dry papers. These papers are made for auto paint finishing, and they are far better than any hardware-store wet-or-dry papers. Expensive, too-- usually about a buck a sheet, or more, for 5 1/2 x 9" sheets. It's also very hard to find in stores, but I found a great source for it. I buy fifty-sheet flats of it from www.tooltopia.com at a substantial discount. Tooltopia is an online professional auto parts and tools supplier. If you go looking for the 3M papers, just type "3M Imperial abrasive" in the search window.

I stock the Imperial papers in grits 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000. I wet-sand a finish in stages, usually up to only 1200, but sometimes up to 1500 grit. The finish is so fine with these papers, the lacquer is ready to buff out at 1200 grit, usually.

I used to use Micromesh for wet-sanding, but, no kidding, the 3M Imperial papers give me a much better finish with considerably less effort.

After buffing, I further finesse the finish with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze # 105 and #205.
In about another week, this guitar will be buffed up to a high gloss, and then we'll be rounding third and heading home!

Oh, and one more tip that I think other builders will find VERY useful. This idea comes from my buddy, Aaron Andrews, and we call it the "Blacksnake". See, in the photos above, the guitar is resting on a black tubular thing? That is a mountain bike inner tube, with the valve cut off so it becomes a 6 foot long tube, filled with coarse sand, and tied off on both ends. This makes a PERFECT work surface for a guitar body, because it conforms perfectly to non-flat (radiused) tops and backs; and it provides a safe, stable, non-skid support for sanding and other procedures. Inner tubes are usually butyl or neoprene rubber, and are not reactive to any standard guitar finishes. Cleans up with a damp paper towel, lasts for years, and makes life so much easier. The cost is less than five bucks. Ever since Aaron came up with this idea about ten years ago, the Blacksnake has been one of the most frequently used, indispensable implements in my entire tool arsenal. Make yourself one or two of these, and you'll be amazed you ever got anything done without it!

Now, I gotta get back to work on my long-overdue new website. I've been going incognito for way too long now, I gotta get this done! I've been going by the procrastinator's ethic, which is, "Never put off today what you can put off tomorrow".
Thanks for looking!
Steve
Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Awesome guitars Steve! Its a real treat to see your creative inlays and designs! Just wonderful!
2014 Charis SJ Florentine Cutaway(Sinker/Braz)
2015 Martin Custom OMDBH (Adi/Koa)
2017 Razo #20 Florentine Cutaway (German/Madagascar)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Steve...

Way too much to speak by way of gratitude and acknowledgment and appreciation for you and for your fine work. My "little" Edwinson "Zephyr Noir" , every time I play it (almost every day), sings its musical version of Keats' poem:

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing...

And now at once, adventuresome, I send
My herald thought into a wilderness:
There let its trumpet blow, and quickly dress
My uncertain path with green, that I may speed
Easily onward, thorough flowers and weed.

Thanks, Steve, for bringing "things of beauty" to the world, and for easing paths through flowers and weeds.

Mark
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 PM

I think you forgot the headstock on the skinny neck. I might work though.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, Joel, that is a temporary washtub bass neck on there. It's strung with a length of baling wire.

We're getting really close to done on this guitar. I'll be buffing and polishing this afternoon, and if everything looks good, tomorrow morning I'll cut in the bridge and glue it on, and also permanently install the neck.

On Saturday, my new friends, Chip and Tim, are coming over, and we're going to go through the final steps, hopefully getting that first set of strings on. Chip and Tim are both guitar players, and they are both very interested in lutherie. We may be working on some projects pretty soon-- maybe even getting these guys building their first guitars!
In the meanwhile, I have a chance to demonstrate some of the processes involved, so they can get an inside view.
On Saturday, after the guitar is all assembled, I'll be demonstrating: 1. Leveling, crowning, and polishing the frets; 2. Drilling out and taper-reaming the bridge pin holes, and fitting the bridge pins; 3. Routing the bridge saddle slot; 4. Making a nut and a saddle; 5. Installing the Schertler tuners; and 6. STRINGING THIS BABY UP!
Then, Tim and Chip can fight over who gets to play the first G chord.
This should be fun. I'll try to remember to take some photos, and maybe even shoot a video. Stay tuned!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Steve--this really looks to be an incredible guitar--love the woods, the detailing, and the soundports. I enjoyed seeing your stuff at Healdsburg and always enjoy your build threads here on the AGF. Thanks for sharing your work!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop