The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Default Pickup for my Applegate

OK, I've been holding off on talking about this, but because it is almost complete, I'll let the cat out of the bag. (and just what was that cat doing in that bag, anyways.)

I decided to have a pickup put in my Applegate. I looked at several options and talked to several people. I knew I wanted a dual source setup and I knew I wanted minimize the electronics in the guitar itself.

I talked to Brian Applegate and he recommended a K&K setup. This was good because I have had them in other guitars and liked them. I also looked at the LR Baggs Anthem and liked it. I talked with the people at Baggs and they are not currently recommending them for nylon string guitars. Dang.

So, back to the K&K. Do I get the SBT with the internal mic or SBT with the UST? Brian recommended the UST/SBT combo. I will not be using this guitar with a band so feedback is not a big concern. I talked with several people and Christy at K&K and ending up deciding to go with the SBT/Internal Mic.

I decided not to get the K&K preamp. I looked at the Ultrasound MaxDI. It looked good enough that I was on the verge of buying one. Then I asked Ultrasound one last time if it would work with the K&K Pure Classic Solo. I specifically asked if it would power the Mic. It will power a mic if it is the only pickup but not if it is a dual source. That eliminates that. Dang.

So I come back to an earlier thought of the DTAR Solstice. I talked someone who is running the K&K setup the the Solstice and it works great. The pre-amp is a little more than I want to spend, but it is should be a very good pre amp. I jump on ebay and actually find one that is ending in a few hours and has a very good price on it. With careful monitoring, I swoop in in the last 15 seconds and snag it. WooHoo.

The K&K comes in and it and the guitar go to the luthier to get installed. He said it would take about a week. I go to my guitar store and order a stereo cable with a 90 degree on one end.

I just got the call that the guitar is ready (I also had him do a good setup). I am heading over tomorrow with the pre amp to get the mic set and then everything comes home. WooHoo.

I'll let you know how it all sounds. Once my son gets home from college we'll try to do some recording so you can see what the combination sounds like.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Beautiful! Somebody who is barking up the same tree as I am but who is much smarter, more thorough, and more organized!
I thank you for all the research you've done and look forward to your review and impressions.

Help me out...

"I am heading over tomorrow with the pre amp to get the mic set and then everything comes home."

What kind of "setting" does the mic need and how is that done?

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)

Last edited by WeddingGuy; 05-27-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot to add a q!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 PM

By setting the mic, I mean positioning the mic within the body to get the best sound. Usually it is in the sound hole region under the strings, I think. Fortunately, my luthier acts like he knows what needs to happen.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical