The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Any opinions regarding a Gretsch G6128T Duo JeT...

...opinions backed by hands on experience are more appreciated than "well sir, i like 'em or don't like 'em". Thanks for your input. I played one this past weekend, sounded sweet, very hot, good price, wondering where the catch is? Keep the faith!

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty

Last edited by ForcesUndivided; 01-22-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM

i actuall went into gc to play a used one they had ans walked out very unimpressed...now, that said...part of that was that one...the bigsby needed some work and it had a ground buzz at the input but, over all, it played nicely and the pickups were strong if not overly so and a little "similar" for me.
i played an ibanez rg5ex1 while i was there, though and was floored ( se thread on same)...came home and ordered one from music123.....i'd rather give my business to someone who wants it...gc didn't seem interested.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM
.tom the übergeek

I was considering the Gretsch path but something about the Made In Korea (not necessarily bad) made me expect a much lower price. I decided to go with a Duesenberg instead. I mean, what is not to love about this? It is a tone monster, killer setup and feel and great German quality.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM

Just my opinion (after owning multiple Gretsch guitars). They are very inconsistent in quality - you usually have to play a bunch to find a good one. It took me several years to find a nice "Setzer" (I played a bunch of them).

Gotta love 'filtertron pickups - be sure it has them (instead of the single coils that most of the solid bodies have). Watch the weight - some of the ones in this model get a bit on the heavy side. Consider the Bigsby a fun thing to have but not to use. I have never had a Gretsch that would stay in tune using one - including a '59 model 6119 that was set up by Brian Setzers guitar tech.....

I have a real soft spot for the 6119 Hollow bodies - but the other guitar player in the band got one like you are looking at that was used by the band 9-inch nails and it was a pretty cool guitar - low/fast action and sounded great.

Like any other guitar - when you find one that you really "bond" with - get it !!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Good question. IMHO, there is no catch. The Duo Jet series can handle all sorts of tones and musical styles and then some. I absolutely dig my Duo Jet. The Gretsch G6128 TSP (redesignated TDS in January 2007) Duo Jet is a faithful recreation of George Harrison's Duo Jet. Other G6128T versions come close but this one is THE one, down to the smallest detail. Craftsmanship and build quality by the Terada factory in Japan is as good as my Rickenbackers, which stand second to none.

Now, if you want a real bargain on a brand-new NOS talk to Laun @ Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin. A Gretsch G6128-1957 has been sitting there for close to a year at an astonishingly low price. Look at that price, add $155 to it plus $20 shipping, and that's what I scored my Harrison reissue for last year with Laun. They set up the guitar superbly. Customer service is first-rate and Laun is the salt of the earth. Tell him schoolteacher David in L.A. tipped you off and he'll take good care of you. But yeah, I scored mine for close to a grand less than street price. Immaculate....not a scratch on it. Beautiful. Check out their merch in general. They have an enormous inventory of guitars and amps.

http://www.davesguitar.com/products.html?13256

Click on "Gretsch" at the top of the page and then go down a skosh to where it says on the left "Price Reduced!" Laun will also install a Bigsby B3C Vibrato Tailpiece for only a C-note. They added that option recently. The DynaSonic pickups are a little hotter than the FilterTrons, which eliminate some of the edge from the tone. Have fun searching. I recommend scoring one if you can.

Click on the link below for a slideshow of my Gretsch G6128 TSP Duo Jet (George Harrison Reissue). Best regards....Kabookie

http://s119.photobucket.com/pbwidget...t/c56dc6b5.pbw
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."

Last edited by Kabookie; 01-23-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Change slideshow.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Thank you for the replies...

...I am going to pick it up this weekend. The price I am paying is actually less than what is offered on Dave's so I must be getting a great deal, and the version I am acquiring actually has the Bigsby. It is a hot guitar and I have no reservations about where it was made. I judge off of build quality, setup and tone. Luckily it has all these in spades, must be one of the good ones. I am really excited at the price now that I have a point of reference, this one has been at the shop well over a year and apparently the dealer wants the wall space back. My final verdict, there is not catch its just a good deal, wow, I am blessed individual. Thanks again and keep the faith!

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty
Old 02-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesUndivided View Post
....I am going to pick it up this weekend....
Well, according to my calendar, you would've had the Gretsch in your possession for a week. How'd it go? Best regards.....Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post
Good question. IMHO, there is no catch. The Duo Jet series can handle all sorts of tones and musical styles and then some. I absolutely dig my Duo Jet. The Gretsch G6128 TSP (redesignated TDS in January 2007) Duo Jet is a faithful recreation of George Harrison's Duo Jet. Other G6128T versions come close but this one is THE one, down to the smallest detail. Craftsmanship and build quality by the Terada factory in Japan is as good as my Rickenbackers, which stand second to none.

Now, if you want a real bargain on a brand-new NOS talk to Laun @ Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin. A Gretsch G6128-1957 has been sitting there for close to a year at an astonishingly low price. Look at that price, add $155 to it plus $20 shipping, and that's what I scored my Harrison reissue for last year with Laun. They set up the guitar superbly. Customer service is first-rate and Laun is the salt of the earth. Tell him schoolteacher David in L.A. tipped you off and he'll take good care of you. But yeah, I scored mine for close to a grand less than street price. Immaculate....not a scratch on it. Beautiful. Check out their merch in general. They have an enormous inventory of guitars and amps.

http://www.davesguitar.com/products.html?13256

Click on "Gretsch" at the top of the page and then go down a skosh to where it says on the left "Price Reduced!" Laun will also install a Bigsby B3C Vibrato Tailpiece for only a C-note. They added that option recently. The DynaSonic pickups are a little hotter than the FilterTrons, which eliminate some of the edge from the tone. Have fun searching. I recommend scoring one if you can.

Click on the link below for a slideshow of my Gretsch G6128 TSP Duo Jet (George Harrison Reissue). Best regards....Kabookie

http://s119.photobucket.com/pbwidget...t/c56dc6b5.pbw
I just tried the model you have or the one you describe - hardly used and what look like single coil or P-90 style pickups. It was much better than the entry level China made Gretsch I tried (stayed in tune), and was fun to play. It already has the Bigsby and could probably negotiated to less than the one at Dave's.

I didn't plunge because I want to try more guitars and might consider owning a Strat again, but the Duo had nice tone.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I just tried the model you have or the one you describe - hardly used and what look like single coil or P-90 style pickups. It was much better than the entry level China made Gretsch I tried (stayed in tune), and was fun to play. It already has the Bigsby and could probably negotiated to less than the one at Dave's.

I didn't plunge because I want to try more guitars and might consider owning a Strat again, but the Duo had nice tone.
Again, I own a Gretsch G6128 TSP Duo Jet, otherwise known as the Harrison reissue and redesignated G6128 TDS Duo Jet in January of 2007. I've yet to see a new TSP or TDS Duo Jet advertised for sale below the 1550 cheeseburgers I ate for mine. MSRP is 2975 cheeseburgers. I mean no disrespect but are you sure it is a TSP or TDS model? The TSP I scored with Laun at Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse was offered at a special price to owner Dave Rogers by Gretsch. I could've waited to buy a new TDS at a higher price but I wanted the first incarnation of the reissue and not the second. They are in fact the same guitar in every respect. Good luck on your search. Best regards.....Kabookie
-------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification