The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Default Aura blender & 414ce B-string-ring

I own play live with a 414ce and have noticed that since I have been using the Fishman Aura blender there has been an inharmonic overtone that I can't get rid of. I have messed with all 3 phase switches and I can't seem to shake this ring. It does sound like feedback but I can't shake it.

anyone else hear or know about this issue? I think the issue lies with either the user(me) or the aura blender itself.

I want to you listen for the ringing overtone. I'm am using ALL aura and no blending. Its very noticeable on open chords (around 2:28 mins)

http://colemanations.com/01%20Track%2001.mp3

DRY/WET Comparison on page 2

Taylor 414ce 2002 model
Fishman Prefix Plus (stock pickup)
Fishman Aura Blender

Last edited by notfamous; 01-21-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: updated
Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 AM

I noted a similar anomoly with one of the onboard Aura guitars (a Martin dread) which I demoed at GC. The other onboard Aura guitar which I demoed (a Martin 000) didn't have the problem.

If your guitar already has onboard EQ, I'd suggest trying a D-TAR Mama Bear if you just can't get satisfaction from the Aura. Before that, though, I'd try a good variety of Aura sound images, and I'd try switching the sound image phase (for each sound image) to see if that helps.

Good luck with it.
Gary
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM

I wonder if it could be a defective pedal since you said you hear it on one and not on the other. I've had it since Christmas and have spent so much time trying to loose that ring. I've even tried a 314 sound image instead of my 414 and still can't shake it.

Other than that, I love the thing I just wish that one thing would go away. It's annoying when I solo. It isn't noticeable with the whole band playing.

Taylor 414ce 2002 model
Fishman Aura Blender
Old 01-17-2008, 12:12 PM

notfamous,

Don't forgot that you'll want to try both phase options for each sound image that you try, the idea being that you'll want to listen and choose whichever sound image phase seems most compatable to the dry signal which you're blending the sound image with.

The phase thing is confusing with the Aura because you have both a global phase option (which can help control feedback, or alternatively, be used to produce a fuller amplified sound) and a sound image phase option which relates to the phase relationship between the sound image and the dry signal. Unless you are using 100% Aura effect, you'll be blending the Aura effect with the dry signal. The phase relationship between the sound image and the dry signal will have an impact on how pleasing the blend sounds. You need to try both phase choices to hear which sounds best and/or possibly eliminates that annoying ringing anomoly.

The best global phase option (of the two choices) will vary with each new stage setup. The best sound image phase option will stay the same for any particular sound image. You only need to determine what it is and stick with it. See the Aura manual for further explanantions.

Gary
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM

Did you try the feedback "search and destroy" button and see if when it hits that frequency the ring goes away? At least you might be able to discern whether it's feedback or some other anomaly.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 PM

Could you provide a brief recording that captures the offending sound?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:31 PM

I did try the feedback search mode. It actually eliminated it for about 2 seconds and then it came back. I have tried both pahse switches on the aura. Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right.

I'll try to post up a brief recording using 100% aura image. I wont be able to do it until saturday but if I happen to get to the basement before then I will post up sooner.

I've even tried different picks when I strum. I normally use medium or light. There is a slight difference between the 2 but there is still a ring. :-P

Taylor 414ce 2002 model
Fishman Aura Blender
Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 PM

If all tweaking with the Aura fails, there are several non-Aura options for getting a woodier, more natural sound.

1) Mama Bear

2) Wiring a PUTW Quack Buster in parallel with the UST, for a woodier, more top-responsive sound without digital signal processing. (Several folks using a Quack Buster with the Prefix system have reported good results.)

3) Replacing the Fishman UST with a PUTW I/O UST, to the same end as #2. If the Prefix system is the same as the older model, it would be easy to screw the pickup leads to the preamp input terminals. You'd also need to file the bridgeplate hole a bit wider to accomodate threading the I/O UST (1/8" wide version, I presume) up thru the hole.

rainsong,

Did you ever get that Quack Buster from PUTW?

Gary
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfamous View Post
Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right...
That was going to be my next suggestion. I always find kind of a sneering grimace to work the best for me.

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

rainsong,

Gary
Yes, I finally got it in the mail last Friday. I've been too sick all week to even think about installing it. I'm a little worried David made the wire that goes form the strapjack preamp to the on /off switch a little short and I won't be able to mount the switch at the edge of the soundhole like I planned. It's going to be close... Hopefully I'll be over this crud next week and I can take my time and do it.

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
rainsong,

Gary

BTW, when you installed yours in the Samick (Or whichever one gave you the good results), did you put the pickup parallel and behind the bridgepins on the bridgeplate (like the K&K's install) or did you put it elsewhere?

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM

rainsong,

I put the PUTW #27 SBT (Quack Buster) directly under the saddle, with both the Samick OM and the Taylor. It worked great in the Taylor, very poorly with the Samick. I'm still wondering if there might have been a problem with that particular SBT. In both cases, the SBT was wired in parallel with a PUTW "Stealth" UST.

I've also tried a Stealth UST and PUTW #54 setup, wired in parallel in a Larrivee. That one worked reasonably well, but was a little too ambient sounding for my taste.

Gary
Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
rainsong,

I put the PUTW #27 SBT (Quack Buster) directly under the saddle
Gary
Ahh, so it is in FRONT of the bridge pins, not behind them like the K&K,s?

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 01-18-2008, 05:14 PM

rainsong,

I don't know where you glued your Pure Western sensors, but the mini-Pure sensors in my Samick OM are glued on the soundhole side of the bridge-pins, pretty much directly under the saddle, as the K&K instructions advised. This help page from the K&K website has a couple of inside-guitar bridgeplate photos which show where the K&K sensors should be placed.
http://www.kksound.com/jig.html

To quote the last line on that page, "Make sure all pickups are located precisely UNDER THE SADDLE!" I suspect the K&K folks are painfully aware (from customer feedback) of how easy it is for the uninitiated to get confused when he/she starts looking around inside the guitar with a mirror.

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-18-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM

Duhh... I don't know what I was thinking, this cold has really got the best of me. You are right, both K&K and PUTW say under the saddle on the soundhole side of the bridge pins. Time to take another sudaphed...

www.donohoeandgrimes.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification