The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Northfield F5S mandolin , in the house...................

arrived around 3 weeks ago, simply stated,

absolute wonderful instrument. build, feel, sound,looks, it has it all covered in spades.

the loudest NF I've played(Collings loud), yet plays very lyrical soft and loud.

wide nut version, I love the back which looks one piece but is a very well matched 2.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:53 AM

Nice. However, I've seen enough around here to know that you're going to give it a speed neck. And then you're going to sell it in 3 months and buy something else. It's hard to watch the used market getting flooded with speed neck instruments. Don't do it! Please, please, please! I beg of you!

Last edited by darylcrisp; 04-11-2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: oops, wrong button hit, no edit
Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
Nice. However, I've seen enough around here to know that you're going to give it a speed neck. And then you're going to sell it in 3 months and buy something else. It's hard to watch the used market getting flooded with speed neck instruments. Don't do it! Please, please, please! I beg of you!
ah, but you have gauged me wrong Jim(lol).
no speedneck planned.

the Collings MF that resides at home also has been around i'm guessing 6 months, and no speedneck on it either.

not ruling it out anytime, but not now.

now the 1928 Vega Little Wonder that is due to arrive tomorrow, well, we might just speedneck and flush fret 1-7.................

Old 04-12-2016, 04:58 AM

Phew, good! It's a nice one, those Northfields are quickly developing a reputation as some affordable killer instruments. I played one about 2 years ago before I ultimately bought my MT2. Almost wishing I grabbed it because they're going up in price.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Phew, good! It's a nice one, those Northfields are quickly developing a reputation as some affordable killer instruments. I played one about 2 years ago before I ultimately bought my MT2. Almost wishing I grabbed it because they're going up in price.

(i'll have to agree, this one just looked way too nice to take it down to bare wood-if I own it in 2 years still, I may. I'm getting used to the finish necks so its really no bother)

I've had hands on with a few from early on, they are getting better and better-everything-build, finish, tone.

The one I had a year ago was excellent, this one is beyond excellent, its simply superb in all areas. I'm hearing the same from everyone who has had hands on-always a fine instrument, but they've reach new heights now.

NF is taking off

check out this new octave mandolin they are building right now, soon to be out in about 2 months, starting at $3800

Old 04-13-2016, 05:06 AM

Now you've done it. I have my MAS and my GAS fully under control. Suddenly I want - no - need an octave mandolin. I showed my wife that clip and surprisingly, she's all for it. She's not a big fan of the high notes of the mandolin, but really liked the sound of that.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now you've done it. I have my MAS and my GAS fully under control. Suddenly I want - no - need an octave mandolin. I showed my wife that clip and surprisingly, she's all for it. She's not a big fan of the high notes of the mandolin, but really liked the sound of that.
here you go, better get in line fast, i "hear" 12 are being made in the first year and some are already spoken for. Got this info monday via email from NF:

We are expecting the first few octave mandolins to be going out the door in about two months.
We are about to add a page to our website that will go over the specs and pricing.

We are making two variations, a Mahogany back, sides, and neck version, and a maple back, sides, and neck version.
scale length: 22”
nut: 1 and 3/8”

octaves are starting at $3800
they are excepting deposits now, if interested contact:

Peter Bagale
585-233-1104
Northfield Instruments

**and i agree, they sound fab!
i may sell the MF to fund one of these babies
Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 AM

I'm going to have to look into that. It's hard for me to buy without getting my hands on it to play first. Another name came up while I was doing some research, Fletcher-Brock. Sarah Jarosz plays one:

https://youtu.be/Hpd9QgQEQ2E

I never play my National Tricone, I could trade that in and be half-way to an Octave.

Edit: Do you think a K&K twin mando pickup would work on one of these instruments?
Old 04-14-2016, 06:33 AM

That things is absolutely beautiful. I'd love to have something like that one day. It's a treasure for sure.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 04-14-2016, 07:33 AM

Yup, sorry I didn't mean to go off the rails about that Octave. Daryl's new mandolin looks awesome too!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm going to have to look into that. It's hard for me to buy without getting my hands on it to play first. Another name came up while I was doing some research, Fletcher-Brock. Sarah Jarosz plays one:

https://youtu.be/Hpd9QgQEQ2E

I never play my National Tricone, I could trade that in and be half-way to an Octave.

Edit: Do you think a K&K twin mando pickup would work on one of these instruments?
I would say you could sell the tricone pretty easy. The Fletcher-Brock is going to be about double I think, and a couple years wait-I have a friend with one, they like it a lot, had to wait 2 years to get it. He played the NF octave at a some instrument show and loved it.
Northfield has an easy return option, if you don't like it you just send it back, very easy folks to deal with. And since they have a wait list on everything, they have no problem filling a spot with an instrument.

Northfields are known for two big things, tone and setup. Those are two huge factors, then you go into beauty and quality of the build and you have a complete picture.

I have no idea about the K&K, but I don't see why not.

no worries taking this thread anywhere it wants to go, its fun to keep it alive and talk about other instruments. these octaves are very very interesting.

I'm trying to decide if I want to sell the Collings MF to get in line for one.

d
Old 04-14-2016, 12:26 PM

Daryl I just saw your thread over on the Cafe. I think I'm going to ping them myself, I just can't decide if I want maple or mahogany. What do you think the one in the clip has? I know mandolins, including both of mine, are almost always maple. And my flattop guitar is mahogany. And I love both. I'm not familiar enough with these instruments, otherwise I might be able to tease it out myself.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:30 PM

Congratulations on the new Northfield, Daryl. It looks spectacular and probably sounds it too. I played an oval hole version at Gryphon Music once that I really loved. I try to play anything I can get my hands on just for fun.

Speaking of octaves, yes they are quite fun. Needless to say, it pays to get a good one. The K&K twin that came in my Clark seems to work well. I've tested the external preamp from my guitar's trinity mini system with it and it works fine through one channel with a mono cable, or just straight into a mixing board. I never tried it with a band. So I don't know much about it beyond how it works in a low volume setting. It does sound true to the instrument.

Svea
Old 04-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Daryl I just saw your thread over on the Cafe. I think I'm going to ping them myself, I just can't decide if I want maple or mahogany. What do you think the one in the clip has? I know mandolins, including both of mine, are almost always maple. And my flattop guitar is mahogany. And I love both. I'm not familiar enough with these instruments, otherwise I might be able to tease it out myself.
Jim
the one in the video Emory is playing is mahogany. i have no idea how maple would sound on one of these-for myself, i like the sound of that mahogany and thats the direction i will go if i get one.

knowing the tone and quality of the few Northfield mandolins i've played, i expect these Octaves to sound and perform as nice as an octave that costs 2x or more what they are charging.

d
Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 PM

Man, this forum needs a drooling smiley. That's a beaut!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments