The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2002, 09:24 PM

Default Walnut series - Opinions?

I'm looking to purchase my first Taylor guitar after 25 years with the same venerable Guild D55. After much showroom auditioning I thought a 614CE would be the perfect companion for my deep dreadnaught. But lately I've become curious about the Walnut series, especially since they're priced similar to the Maple series. Also I'm concerned that the Maple guitar may be a bit too thin sounding for me. I've played some that sounded quite rich and others that were somewhat thin and since I want a narrow neck I will have to special order one so I will not be able to pick.

The description of the walnut series as a tonewood somewhere between maple and rosewood has me intriuged but I cannot find one here in central Texas to audition or anyone who has ever played one. I could really use some feedback, especially from anyone who has the newer models with the ayote inlay. Since I want a guitar braced for light gauge strings I'm set on the 14 series, I really need this to be an articulate lead acoustic in small ensemble situations. Or do I stay with maple but consider a 12?
Old 01-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Jim

It's kind of hard to describe the tone of a guitar since everyone experiences them a bit differently. The only way you can really tell would be to find one and play it. My personal preference for that middle range tone are the koas, but if you want real articulation you would most likely be happier with maple. If you want something a little deeper sounding than a 614CE you might try the 615CE jumbo or 610CE dread and spend the couple of weeks toughing it out to build up the strength of your fingers until you can handle the medium strings as comfortably as you can the lights now.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:23 AM
.tom the übergeek

My personal opinion of the W10 I played......

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Old 01-14-2002, 05:36 AM

tunesmith50

I had a 614ce which I liked a lot but to be honest with you my W14ce is better for the style of music we play. I happen to be the lead guitarist in the band and the W14ce cuts through everything, drums, bass, rhythm guitar. I don't know if they all have that capability but mine sure does. Of all of the acoustic guitars I have owned, and it's way too many, the W14ce, for lead guitar, is the closest to playing a fine electric guitar that I have come across, with the exception of my late DDSM, although I think that had to do with the electronics more than the Maple. But like Jim says, everyone's ear is different so you should try to compare the two yourself.

Good Luck
Rick
Old 01-14-2002, 07:20 AM

Walnut is my favorite.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:58 PM

Talking I tried one and...

I found and tried a brand new W14CE at a local emporium and was able to compare it side by side with a couple of 614CE's, a 714CE and an 814CE. The rosewood bodied guitars were pretty much a known quantity and sounded terrific but closer to my D-55. The W14's strings weren't in as pristeen a shape as the others were, evidently someone else had been playing it a lot in the last couple of weeks. Trying to take this shortcoming into account my impressions were this:

The W sounded a bit more "homoginized" than the 614's. The low notes on the maple guitars rang with more distinction for sure - how much of that was the strings there's no way to know unless they restring the guitar. Single note playing seemed very similar with the maples again having a bit more "edge" to each note. The W had slightly more low end but in truth the similarities were more numerous than the differences.

I'm sticking with a GA body style because it's the biggest thing braced for light gauge strings available. Callouses or not, all else being equal I can get around on lights faster and easier than on mediums. If there were only a model with the depth of the 800's and the articulation and brilliance of the 600's. Yeah, if only...
Old 01-16-2002, 11:18 PM
.tom the übergeek

Rosewood back and maple sides? Hehe
Old 01-17-2002, 10:19 AM

and a koa top??
Old 01-17-2002, 10:46 AM
.tom the übergeek

This is starting to remind me of the GASMaster that I designed while over on the Fender List.

What a hoot. I may have to work on a custom shop Taylor too...
Old 01-17-2002, 06:48 PM

Tom, that's cute! Can I order one?!
Old 01-17-2002, 10:57 PM
.tom the übergeek

Sure .... But it might take me a while to glue the ash and alder together for the body.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:46 AM

I have a w10 and like Tom said, DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification