The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2002, 06:37 PM

Default Elixer vs. SP vs. SP+

I used to LOVE Elixers, but then i tried Martin SP strings and the intial sound and tone blew me away. I cant even begin to describe the tone it was so amazing.

The problem is, they will tarnish and lose their tone. I was wondering if the SP+ sounds like the standard SP's. Does the coating affect the sound or is it only for string life and playability?
Old 01-13-2002, 07:23 PM
jclif1995

i feel your pain...those SP's are some of the best strings....but, as you have learned, they last a week at best. never tried the SP+ so couldn't say there.....i tend to stay with the Elixers because, they are great strings, they last, there what uncle bob put on there, and i love the sound....let us know how the SP+ work for your compared to nano or poly.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:43 PM

i will do that, i'm gonna put elixers back on, then SP+. Look for another thread like this to hear the results in a few weeks or so.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:28 PM

I've never put SP+ on a Taylor, but I have them on my D-45. I really like them. They definitely last longer than SP and sound pretty much the same. They feel more like Nanos than Polys.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:43 PM

how do they sound compared to Nano's?
Old 01-13-2002, 08:50 PM

I can't really compare the two as I've never put Nanos on my D-45 and I've never put SP+ on my Taylors. The D-45 sounds different from any of my Taylors regardless of strings, I would hope ... that's why I got him.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:39 PM

I did put SP+ lights on my 314ce, and they seem to wear OK, but I don't think they sound as good as the Poly, though. My next ones will be the D'Addario EXP16 I use on my other guitar. Not a big tone difference with the SP+, but they are more resistant to corrosion.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:40 PM

Tried the SP+ Bronze Mediums on my Larrivee D-03. Initially they sounded very good tonewise. Unfortunately, the tone didn't last long. After about 2 weeks or less they lost their brightness and mellowed out bigtime. They sounded "stubby" or "muddy" to me. I have D'Addario EXP meds. on now. Much brighter and so far they are staying brighter and deeper tonewise. I see how long they sound good.

My 2cts.worth.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:17 AM

I bought a 410 a couple months ago that came with Elixir Polywebs that sounded very good. I tried the nanowebs and thought they were awful, made the guitar way too bright and cheap sounding. Also tried the Thomastik-Infelds and they were dead with absolutely no sustain at all.
Ive settled on the D'Addario EXP's They sound great and really give the sound I was looking for. Second best was the Elixir Poly's but I didnt like the feel of the Polywebs, too slippery

Tom
Old 01-23-2002, 06:17 PM

i agree about the polys... i put them on my d-28p and they made it sound like a harpsicord....terrible. still searching for somthing in between.. strings that dont wear out after five days of play.

tony
Old 01-24-2002, 12:43 AM

Another question related to the SP's - what is the difference between the phosphor bronze and the 80/20 bronze? Is one better than the other or better in certain applications?

Thanks!!

TF
Old 01-24-2002, 08:25 AM

This is an instance where the short lifespan of a regular set of strings plays in your favor: you can try them all! This is one of the areas where I get the most pleasure out of a guitar: spending quality time restringing my precious, and hearing that fresh tone coming out of brand new strings. No downside here, just pure legal fun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification