The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Default Has anyone used Hannabach high tension strings?

I used a set of Hannabach normal tensions on a classical guitar I had before. As I now have a Taylor NS, I need a higher tension and I'd be curious to experiment with Hannabachs.

Has anyone used them? The Taylor is set up for D'Addario extra hard tension; would the Hannabach high tensions or super high tensions be the equivalent? I've heard that Hannabach high tensions are, well, pretty high!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 PM

Yes, I bought a Martin 00016-C SRNE (great nylon crossover, no longer produced, except by the Custom Shop) and the dealer had strung it with Hannabach hard tensions and threw in an extra set with the sale. I actually traded a Taylor NS62 for the Martin. I've been very please with the Hannabachs.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM

I suggest that you use Hannabach hard tension, not extra hard. They replaced very well the D'Addario extra hard tension on my Taylor NS 34 CE.
I also believe that Hannabach hard tension are as strong, if not stronger, that D'Addario Extra Hard.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I suggest that you use Hannabach hard tension, not extra hard. They replaced very well the D'Addario extra hard tension on my Taylor NS 34 CE.
I also believe that Hannabach hard tension are as strong, if not stronger, that D'Addario Extra Hard.
+1 on that!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I use Hannabach hard tensions on my Kenny Hill crossover and really like them a lot. I highly recommend them.

Jayne
Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Do the Hannabachs tend more towards brightness or mellowness (if that's the right word!) ?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Do the Hannabachs tend more towards brightness or mellowness (if that's the right word!) ?
Depends on the model.

The 728's are very mellow. The 815's are brighter, but in a traditional nylon fashion. I personaly like the 815 better.

The Super Carbon trebles are much brighter and "transparent", cristaline sounding and loud. Reasonably louder then traditional nylon strings. They are probably my favorite composite trebles. They come with Goldin basses but I never tryed those.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical