The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Red face Feedback Buster Questions

Has anyone used the feedback buster in their acoustic guitars? Any pros and cons?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Me

I used one for years. They work really well for stopping feedback.
They dampen the top a bit. For an over built guitar, it isn't much of an issue.
If you had a lightly built top, it would make more of a difference.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
I used one for years. They work really well for stopping feedback.
They dampen the top a bit. For an over built guitar, it isn't much of an issue.
If you had a lightly built top, it would make more of a difference.
Thanks, Steve.

I have a Taylor 810 with an under saddle transducer. Would this work with a UST?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Me

Mike,
That is a perfect use for the feedback buster.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM

I use one all the time, even at gigs where feedback shouldn't be an issue because shouldn't be and isn't aren't always the same. People say it alters your tone but plugged in I really don't notice a difference at all. I have had musician friends turn their backs while I play with and without a feedback buster and ask which is which and they either can't tell or they guess wrong 50% of the time.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deane View Post
Has anyone used the feedback buster in their acoustic guitars? Any pros and cons?
Hi Mike...
They work fine to block feedback, don't alter the tone through a PA, and hold my bridgepins from rolling off the coffeetable when I'm changing strings.

My pickup rigs are very feedback resistant, yet at times we get into some pretty extreme stage setups, & then they come in handy.

Don't know any cons...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 AM

Mike the big difference I seem to notice is sometimes at higher volumes through a PA the natural vibration that the guitar produces without the FBB will sometimes set up a lower register feedback that's tough to control for me. With the FBB I don't seem to ever experience this. If I'm playing relatively low volume and I want to hear more of the natural acoustic tone, primarily for myself, I'll not use it. Vice versa with greater volume. Tone of the guitar through the PA seems the same either way to me. My pickup is the Baggs LB6 so the saddle is the transducer.

Jim B.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM

I lost a lot of treble when using one with my 514 and a b-band AST. I think it's because of the added mass (the weight) and the sealed chamber (the soundhole is completely plugged so it traps all the air inside and resonates less). it should have far less tonal effect on a UST.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
Mike the big difference I seem to notice is sometimes at higher volumes through a PA the natural vibration that the guitar produces without the FBB will sometimes set up a lower register feedback that's tough to control for me. With the FBB I don't seem to ever experience this. If I'm playing relatively low volume and I want to hear more of the natural acoustic tone, primarily for myself, I'll not use it. Vice versa with greater volume. Tone of the guitar through the PA seems the same either way to me. My pickup is the Baggs LB6 so the saddle is the transducer.

Jim B.
Thanks, Jim.

Baggs LB6 is exactly what I have.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deane View Post
Thanks, Jim.

Baggs LB6 is exactly what I have.
Hi Mike...
Another thing that can be done is to either cut a small opening in the feedback buster or in the case of those of us who played with Baggs controls on the edge of the soundhole, cut away a small semi-circle at the edge of the feedback buster.

This permits a small amount of air to leak around the edges of the buster (doesn't fully contain the air). I don't hear any difference through a PA or amp either way, but it is a possibility.

I also own/use Lute Hole covers which are more than 50% air and it works just as effectively as the old feedback buster and looks nicer for weddings, funerals etc. They are more responsively acoustically, which makes some players more comfortable.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification