The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Mackie HR824 Driver Replacement

I noticed there seem to be a few HR824 owners here on the board - I just picked up a used set of MK1s stupid cheap ($150cdn) and I'm told one of the low drivers is intermittent. I pushed the driver gently with my hand and didn't feel any voice coil rubbing. They are a bit dirty, so I'm hoping a good internal cleaning of the pots and switches etc. will solve the problem. I have a degree as a electronics tech, so I'm comfortable tearing them down and checking things out on the inside. I might even get lucky and find a loose wire!

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out in case I need to look at driver replacement. Does anyone know where to find replacements? Do I have other options besides the factory originals? Also, I have calibration sheets for these from 2001 which made me wonder ... would I absolutely need to have these recalibrated? I plan to use these as monitors to record solo acoustic guitar, and for general use as speakers for my imac for regular listening.

Thanks for reading

McIlroy AJ15c - Cedar/Honduran Mahogany #290
Kronbauer Sitka/Claro Walnut MJ #135 (sold)
Beneteau OMC Englemann/Black Walnut (sold)
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 PM

OK well things aren't looking good - after completely taking apart the offending monitor, I was convinced that the driver had to be the problem. I was a bit more forceful with it tonight and did notice some rubbing - kinda mad at myself for not checking it better but it was still a great deal. I decided to cut open the dust cap to get a closer look ...

pretty nasty indeed. I did some more research and found an affordable replacement in the Vifa P22WP - unfortunately, it doesn't look like these are available anymore. I'm going to try calling a few places tomorrow. If anyone happens to have a lead on these, please let me know!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:13 PM

I've come up empty so far in my search for the P22WP drivers - I'll give this one last bump in hopes of finding some help

Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Long & McQuade in Pickering recone and act as a warranty depot, according to the Mackie website. Perhaps you could buy a new one via Musicstop?

Long & McQuade
722 Rosebank Rd
PICKERING ON L1W 4B2
Canada
Ph: 905-837-9785 ext 270
Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 AM

thanks for the suggestions Ron - I just got a quote back from Mackie for a factory replacement driver - $125US. Unfortunately, I don't even think they make recone kits for these guys. I think I'll just buck up and purchase the replacement driver and be done with it. The sales rep that contacted me said that a recal shouldn't be required, but he gave me another support contact to confirm.

Thanks to everyone who replied via PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification