The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM

Default hot rod deluxe

anyone have one of these amps?it's about 5 years old.i want to play my new tele thru it.is this the best amp for teles and gigging out every wknd?thanks!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:54 PM

I have a HRDlx and play my Am Deluxe Strat, PRS McCarty and Custom 22 through it and love the tone. I also run my Taylor T5 through the HRDlx with great results. A Tele may be a whole nother story. I just bought a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and like it as well. For me there is nothing like the Fender vibe from these amps. I don't think you will be disappointed as most folks on the Fender Forum give the HRDlx high marks when the question of a good, solid, most bang for your buck, versital amp is asked....
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 PM

I have one. It's about a year old and as loud as you could want for an amp it's size.

Billy <><
Old 02-08-2008, 04:55 PM

i've got a hot rod deluxe also play all my electrics through it.the t5 really sounds great as does my strat.i have many jam friends ask if i want to sell it often.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 02-09-2008, 09:05 AM

I very good friend of mine --- a Mentor of sorts -- has one and he loves it! They must be great amps, or he would certainly have chosen something else to use.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Fender Hot Rod amps are great amps to gig with. And "best" is so subjective, but if you want the "best" amp for your Tele, I'd suggest looking at Fender's Deluxe Reverb reissue amp!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 PM

When I selected my HRD, I had the choice between the standard and a special edition which was equipped with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. The vintage 30 won hands down in a side by side comparison.
If you get a chance to swap out the Fender standard, I urge you to audition an HRD outfitted that way.
Froggy Bottom x 3
Goodall x 2
Cp Thonton Classic
Cp Thornton Elite
Cp Thornton Blues Queen
Cp Thornto Legend Special
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
I have a HRDlx and play my Am Deluxe Strat, PRS McCarty and Custom 22 through it and love the tone. I also run my Taylor T5 through the HRDlx with great results. A Tele may be a whole nother story. I just bought a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and like it as well. For me there is nothing like the Fender vibe from these amps. I don't think you will be disappointed as most folks on the Fender Forum give the HRDlx high marks when the question of a good, solid, most bang for your buck, versital amp is asked....
I have one of the HRD limited (Green with Celestion) and MUCH to my surprises came across a mint 65 Deluxe reissue at my favorite acoustic shop yesterday. I give the edge to the HRDs with the upgraded speakers if you find them, but will say that my '65 Reissue has it hands down for sweet clean tone. But, the 65 will not get the higher gain sound you can get with the HRD's channel and pre-amp arrangement.

The unfortunate for the budget is I've realized the cliche about how amp is 1/2 the the sound is indeed true, and if you think your rosewood vs. mahogany, brass vs. bronze sorts of debates are true in the acoustic world you'll likely want more than one amp or have to do some searching for the tone you want.

HRD can't be beat and I see they're always available used in the form of well used or hardly used. The DRRI may not give you some distorted high gain sound, but WOW do you get classic and comfy tone when you have your classic guitar, nickel wound round cores and that amp all together.

At this point I think I would and might give up the HRD and consider a pedal for distortion for the DRRI but I don't gig or play loud.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
Fender Hot Rod amps are great amps to gig with. And "best" is so subjective, but if you want the "best" amp for your Tele, I'd suggest looking at Fender's Deluxe Reverb reissue amp!
Yup, The HRD I have sure is great, but I don't think I'd own mine if I already had the 65 Reissue I picked up yesterday. It hits the bullseye for classic tone unless you spend even more on a boutique amp.

The HRD has a little less his just sitting in neutral for lack of better description compared to my Blues Jr. and DRRI, but it's not huge or obnoxious difference and the DRRI not as bad as some true vintage amps I considered buying.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification