The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-11-2016, 10:39 PM

Default Journey OF660 with normal soundhole?

Is it possible?
Could it be ordered if someone had a preference?
Old 09-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Yes is possible to have one made like that, but will Journey do it, may be unlikely if they are not getting sufficient requests from other potential buyers/customer. It will be a huge investment for Journey to come up with a new mould plus you'd have to enough R&D invested to experiment with the bracings etc. to ensure tone is not compromised from the centred soundhole as the shape of the guitar is not a traditional shape.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:32 PM

Would they really require a totally different mould, or would they just route out the soundhole in a different place?
Old 09-11-2016, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

You could be right and may be they can.

I am only speaking from an indirect experience with my custom carbon fiber guitar case and that is general idea I got from the case maker.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:50 AM

Also remember that the OF660 has a very unique neck joint right where a traditional sound hole would be placed. But , don't they offer wood guitars with a collapsible neck, and with traditional sound hole placement?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:57 AM

Only Rob from Journey can really answer the question. He posts here pretty regularly when not traveling himself.

The offset sound hole helps the player hear better from that small body, so it provides some tangible benefits.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Our tastes change... and outside factors can help with that change. Until this past year, I thought off-set soundholes just "didn't look right." The first carbon fiber guitar I bought was a RainSong Shorty, partly for the size; and all the great reviews. In my mind, it also "looked more like a guitar should look." Yes, it was personal taste (bias). I was hooked on the sound from the first strum.

Then, I started looking at Emerald guitars. The soundholes didn't look "cut out in a different place," they have a very nice molded-in look. I have to say it went from "that doesn't look bad," to "I am really liking that look."

Now, I appreciate all the different carbon fiber guitars for how they sound, their ability to laugh at changes in humidity/weather... and the design possibilities afforded the makers. In fact, I really like the off-set soundhole on my X7. The beveled arm rest. All the "rolled" edges.

Like many guitar players, I came into this revelation from a pretty traditionalist point of view. I had my eyes opened. And my ears. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:42 PM

Jim, I actually like the shape/position/design of the X7 myself, I think the did a really good job.

I'm really asking about the traditional soundhole shape and placement to be able to use a magnetic soundhole pickup. I know there are other pickup choices, but this is what I'd prefer. I have a Rainsong Shorty and absolutely love it. Was just curious for traveling gigs if the OF660 could be an option.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 AM

Hi Gents! Yes, as a matter of fact we'd need to do multiple toolings to accomplish this. I have the request on occasion, but most people who play the OF660 with the offset soundhole love it. This placement enables us to get a larger tone out of the small body. However we do have a secret product coming out soon that may (or may not) have a round soundhole in the not-so-distant future.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Is it possible?
Could it be ordered if someone had a preference?
Hi Joe,

Can I as why you're asking about this? Is it esthetics?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Joe,

I think from reading his post Ted he wants to use a sound hole mount pickup. I am in the same ballpark on that as I want to use a Baggs M80 when I get one. Best pu out there imo.....I gravitate toward the traditional look as well playing old time music the modern shapes just don't fit in. Jerry
Old 09-14-2016, 01:50 PM

Thanks Jerry, precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Joe,

Ted, you just missed this post I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Jim, I actually like the shape/position/design of the X7 myself, I think the did a really good job.

I'm really asking about the traditional soundhole shape and placement to be able to use a magnetic soundhole pickup. I know there are other pickup choices, but this is what I'd prefer. I have a Rainsong Shorty and absolutely love it. Was just curious for traveling gigs if the OF660 could be an option.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:57 PM

Jerry, Joe, I definitely missed it. Which is strange, because I tend to be so observant.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:55 PM

I am in Negril, Jamaica with my OF600. Two observations so far. First, it was one of the smallest carry ons I saw on the planes. Second, the case needs a small loop at the top to attach my travel pillow. It was dragging along the floor quite a bit during my journey. ;-)

I'll be playing it in the piano bar tonight. My Emerald X5 sounded really good in there last year, but not so satisfying acoustically. I'm very pleased with the acoustic sound of my OF660.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
However we do have a secret product coming out soon that may (or may not) have a round soundhole in the not-so-distant future.
Hi Rob, about 6 months since you dropped this hint. Any chance you could elaborate a bit more at this time? I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on an OF660M but would prefer a round sound hole if (or if not) one was in the works.

Thanks!

Last edited by JakeT; 04-09-2017 at 11:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber