The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-05-2015, 02:10 PM

Default Rainsong Shorty Owners question

Ok fellow Shorty owners. My G, D and A strings are physically resting on my truss rod cover. The B string is almost touching.

Do yours?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

No. It is close, but I can just slide the TRC out after taking out the screws (I did it last month when making a small tweak to the truss rod).

Has the nut (or slots) been altered?

For reference, I have a bone saddle on mine that has been lowered from what came on it from the factory, but no adjustment to the nut. The action on my Shorty is still a bit higher than on my Taylors.

Jim
Old 03-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Jim,

AFAIK, it has not been altered.

Here are my shorty's measurements, if you have time, would you tell me what your guitar is set at for the following?

First measurement is the Shorty, (measurement in parenthesis is my Breedlove C25) for comparison

Low E String clearance at 12 fret with capo at 1st fret: 6/64 (5/64)
Hi E String clearance at 12 fret with capo at 1st fret: 4/64 (4/64)

Low E string clearance above fingerboard at nut: between 2/64 and 3/64 (4/64)
Hi E string clearance above fingerboard at nut: 2/64 (3/64)
(My Martin DM has the same specs at the nut as the Breedlove)

String height above 7th fret with string depressed at 1st and 12th fret: less than 1/64 (same)

If you are able, thanks, also if anyone else can share their clearances, that would be fantastic, thanks!

Last edited by moondoggie999; 03-05-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added Breedlove specs from my C25 (in paren) and note about DM
Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM

Shorty owner here; some strings touch my TRC as well. Not aware if it creates a problem or not, I removed the TRC. I'd like to hear any opinions.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
some strings touch my TRC as well. Not aware if it creates a problem or not, I removed the TRC.
Res Ipsa, thanks for the response. Do you remember if your strings always touched the TRC? I noticed some string buzzing then I noticed the strings touching the TRC, but a good idea for me might be to take the TRC off as you have done and see if it cures my string buzz. (edit: tried this and did seem to notice an improvement, perhaps the TRC is lifting the string out of the nut enuf to cause some extra propensity for buzz? Will play around with it a bit more)

I also sent an email to Rainsong Customer Service. Will let you know what their response is.

Last edited by moondoggie999; 03-05-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: TRC removal
Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 PM

MoonDoggie, I can't be sure if the strings always touched the TRC from day one.

I bought my Shorty from a previous owner and don't know if the nut slots were ever worked on. I did do a basic setup right away when I got it: I adjusted the truss rod for a slight bow in the neck, and I sanded down the saddle to lower the action. I don't get any fret buzz typically, unless I really dig in, but that could be due to playing style - I use a light fingerstyle approach to playing, no picks.

I did install a hand-cut single ply TRC at one time which was thin enough not to touch the strings -- cut it out of a plastic 3-ring binder cover using scissors -- it looked cool and I played it that way for awhile, but the screws were then too long to seat fully against the TRC, so the TRC itself was probably vibrating. I could have looked for shorter screws, but instead I put the stock TRC back on and I am enjoying the guitar as much as ever. Is the TRC's contact with the strings changing the way the guitar sounds? I don't know, but buzz is not happening here.

I'm interested in seeing what you discover.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

I am away from my guitar for a couple days - I'll check that for you when I can.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 PM

Bought my Shorty new from MacNichol. Yes, the A, D and G strings touch the TRC. Never really noticed that before but I'm glad that you brought it to my attention moondog. I can't get a good measurement of what is going on there but I cannot slide a piece of paper between those strings and the TRC.

I did know that RainSong has a a strikingly shallow break angle behind the nut. If there is buzz being caused by this, the solution may be to mark the TRC where the strings pass over and notch it since it seems that the 2 screws used to mount the plate closest to the nut would not be affected by this modification.

I too would like to know what RainSong has to say about it.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:21 AM

Mine are certainly very close to touching, I managed to remove the TRC without loosening the strings though it was tricky what with tight clearance and the ferrules.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the stock cover touched the strings on my Shorty. My tuner change (to Gotoh locking tuners) solved the issue as a side benefit since they don't wrap the strings down the post.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 03-06-2015, 05:02 PM

Mine touch as well
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-06-2015, 09:46 PM

I just checked mine and the strings touch the TRC. I also never noticed it before but I have owned it since new and am just now ready for a string change. Must be the way they are.

My reduced collection (in order of acquisition):
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson Les Paul Tribute
Old 03-06-2015, 09:48 PM

Default Rainsong Shorty Owners question

Well this is good to know! I will update this thread as soon as I hear back from rainsong. Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-07-2015, 06:23 AM

My strings don't touch the truss rod cover because the cover is in a little pill jar in the accessory compartment in the case, until I get the setup fully straightened out (literally and figuratively). They did when I got it, though. Not sure if it makes any difference to the tone, but if makes a bit of a nuisance when you want to work with the truss rod.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM

My Rainsong Parlor had the same issue - I bought it new. One of the cover screws was touching a string. I didn't think it was a problem, but I didn't like the idea of it. I made a new cover out of rosewood and fitted it so I don't need the lower screws anymore.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber