The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 PM

Default Neck Angle slightly out

I think I may have my neck angle slightly out on a kit build acoustic dreadnought and would appreciate any advise.Its a bolt on neck and I have not yet glued down the tongue just in case I need to make any changes.
A straight edge along the top of my fretted fingerboard is between 1/16 to 1/8th above the bridge.
I have compensated with a higher saddle which is 3/16th higher than the bridge.
First question is would that high saddle be an average height or should it be lowered.
Second question is would you recommend that I shave the heel to tip the neck forward so that a straight edge practically rests on the bridge ?
I should know this by now but keep getting confused--old age creeping in I guess
Any help appreciated
Rusty
Old 03-02-2015, 06:48 PM

I wouldn't want the straight edge resting on the bridge. It sounds to me you are where you want to be. Remember once everything settles in and you have string tension on it all should be fine. Now I've only built five guitars so far but on the last two before I glued the neck on, my straight edge was in the vacinity of yours and these last two guitar play like butter with saddles that are neither too tall or too low.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:21 PM

The 'ideal' for a flat top is a 1/2" string height above the soundboard. 3/8" of that is usually bridge with the other 1/8" being saddle. If you were 1/16" above, and it played well I'd be cosy with that, but 1/8" is pushing it I think...
Old 03-02-2015, 10:23 PM

More information needed. Is the bridge made? Is it slotted for the saddle? Is it glued on to the top? How tall is it?

Is your neck joint right at the 14th fret (assuming that its a 14-fretter)? If so, you probably don't want to set it forward and mess up intonation, although if you have not yet cut the saddle slot you have a little fudge room.

Some of this depends on how you have braced, and the thickness of the top. Mine usually come up about 1/16" at the bridge with string tension, so 1/16" over the anticipated bridge height is just right.

And you can go to 3/16" above the bridge with your saddle. The slot should be as deep as the saddle rises above it for support.

So, depending on your other answers, you likely don't need to change the neck set.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:35 AM

With a 11/32" (0.344") bridge thickness, I like for the straightedge to be around 0.390" above the top. That means it is about 0.046" above the bridge.
IMHO, 3/16" is too high for a saddle. The range I like to see is 0.120" to 0.150".
BTW, you are seeking 'advice'. 'Advise' is a verb that rhymes with 'rise'.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
More information needed. Is the bridge made? Is it slotted for the saddle? Is it glued on to the top? How tall is it?

Is your neck joint right at the 14th fret (assuming that its a 14-fretter)? If so, you probably don't want to set it forward and mess up intonation, although if you have not yet cut the saddle slot you have a little fudge room.

Some of this depends on how you have braced, and the thickness of the top. Mine usually come up about 1/16" at the bridge with string tension, so 1/16" over the anticipated bridge height is just right.

And you can go to 3/16" above the bridge with your saddle. The slot should be as deep as the saddle rises above it for support.

So, depending on your other answers, you likely don't need to change the neck set.
Thanks for reply

These are the measurements as it stands right now and yes its a 14 fret dreadnought kit from stewmac and the bridge is already glued on. Basically the guitar is in a finished state -apart from the set up.
Saddle height in the centre= 5/32
Bridge height = 10/32
12 fret. top of fret to string= 0.090 on the stew mac string gauge

I had the strings on and it plays fine apart from the fact that I have not glued down the tongue/fingerboard extension to the body yet, and theres a slight buzz when I play above the 9th fret , but I know that gluing it down will get rid of that .

One the one hand it all appears that I'm in the ball park but what bothers me is that when it all settles down there will be very little room for making changes to the action if it were ever needed ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair