The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 AM

Default Tech 21 ParaDriver repair ?

Hi all.

I have an older Tech21 Para Driver DI that has scratchy pots, particularly on the mid level and frequency controls. Go figure, the most used on the DI.
I was going to clean them up with contact cleaner until I opened the DI and saw everything is mounted on a PC board. Bummer.

Has anyone here taken this unit apart for cleaning / servicing and if so , could you give me some tips on how to properly go about it?

I am assuming I will have to remove the knobs, switches, etc from the top of the unit in order to remove the pc board. Possibly will need to remove the side mounted input and output jacks as well.

Also if anyone has sent their units in to tech 21 for repair, how was your experience? I see the v2 of the Para Driver is available now for about $200 and has a much better placement of the blend control, so I may entertain that option as well, but I'd rather be able to clean up my unit. It is an extremely useful tool in my home studio and on stage for both acoustic guitar and bass guitar.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 AM

I have that pedal too. What's the problem with using contact cleaner near a circuit board?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM

Default Tech 21 ParaDriver repair ?

You can't access the pot unless you remove the board.
When you remove the back panel, everything except the battery compartment is covered by the board, which is fixed (unless, I'm assuming, I remove the knobs / jacks / Switches. )

Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGFreeman View Post
You can't access the pot unless you remove the board.
When you remove the back panel, everything except the battery compartment is covered by the board, which is fixed (unless, I'm assuming, I remove the knobs / jacks / Switches. )

From what you're saying, it's not all that dirty. I would pull the knob and spray deoxit from the top. just spray the shaft and let it run down into the pot. Turn the pot back and forth and it'll loosen up. You may have to do it a couple of times.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
From what you're saying, it's not all that dirty. I would pull the knob and spray deoxit from the top. just spray the shaft and let it run down into the pot. Turn the pot back and forth and it'll loosen up. You may have to do it a couple of times.
Doubt if that will help. Just take the knobs and stuff off, that is what a tech would have to do.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:38 PM

Yeah I don't see how any contact cleaner is going to make it to the pot if I spray it from the shaft. I may tinker with it a bit tonight, let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGFreeman View Post
Yeah I don't see how any contact cleaner is going to make it to the pot if I spray it from the shaft. I may tinker with it a bit tonight, let you know how it turns out.

OK, don't try it. I do this a lot though. It will definitely work it's way down the shaft and into the pot. Just trying to save you some trouble. Stewmac even sells a fixture to direct it a little more precisely.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...aning_Cap.html

Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
OK, don't try it. I do this a lot though. It will definitely work it's way down the shaft and into the pot. Just trying to save you some trouble. Stewmac even sells a fixture to direct it a little more precisely.
Touché

Tried totally worked great. Took about 3 minutes to clean all the pots and the footswitch as well. Thanks Bryan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair