The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Time to close up the box. The top is thinner than I thought I would have made it, around 0.090".

Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 PM

Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn. That is the only way I can explain it. I tried the poster card stock as a white purfling on the other walnut guitar and ended up cutting it off. Decided I learned a little from trying it on the other guitar and thought I might have better luck on this one. Also this one is a disposable guitar, if it does not turn out no big loss. Not great but not horrible. Have to glue on the last side of binding.

Thinking of doing the other walnut with maple binding. Looked over the little cherry I started before the other walnut. (anybody seeing attention deficit in all of this?) The main reason I put that aside was that I could hear a rattle when I tapped the top but I could not find where it was coming from. I finally went back to it and think I got rid of most of it. I trimmed the pieces I have on the sides where they meet the linings. I am betting that when the back is glued on I will not hear it at all. Now I have to figure out how I will do the neck.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:13 PM

****. Was I suppose to add that number or subtract it?

Old 02-19-2015, 05:28 PM

Neck was from another build but it seemed neck heavy. Added a piece onto the heel. One coat of satin on the body so far. Got to start on the Lutz Walnut again.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:23 PM

A few ideas for the future. Would like to make a really lightweight guitar, maybe to the extent of needing to use electric strings. Maybe an all cedar, well except the fretboard. Found these in a pile of fence board at Home Depot.

The two quartered, might mill them down at an angle to get closer to 90 degrees. The third will be for the neck. Fairly dense piece, counted 28 rings for 1/4". Not your normal picket fence material.

And then today I stopped in at my favorite lumberyard. Usually just look at rough lumber but did not see anything suitable. Took a look at the finished lumber and found a 3/4" x 5 1/2" board. I only bought three feet to use for binding but after getting home I had to go back and get the rest. I hear the Gibson L-1 came in maple in its first few years. Could be fun. Maybe even do the neck with this stuff.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:44 AM

Fretboard not glued down yet but it makes noise. Want to give it some time under tension before I set it up.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:44 PM

And how was the noise? Looking close to finish line! Sam
Old 02-28-2015, 07:01 PM

It seems to have a bright peak in the response, much of it in the initial attack. I don't know what kind of strings they are as they were not in a package. Should have gone out to get a couple of different sets to try, next week I guess. Ran a spectrum analyzer program and strummed an open G chord, a couple peaks around 2.5 kHz and 4 kHz might be what I am hearing.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM

Talk about Aria guitars in the other thread, 'I have one of those!'. Also about the neck being held on with dowels. I decided to take mine apart, it sounds terrible anyway. Started by lifting the fretboard with a spatula, tapping it under the fretboard with a hammer, noticed the neck joint opening up. Seems they did not bother gluing the dowels.

Thinking of replacing the top with fence board cedar. Or should I do a pine top? I will have to think it over.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 PM

Hi Printer - If it was me I'd either re-plot with a log scale or better yet I'd use the freeware Audacity to record and plot tap tones. If the latter, then change SIZE and AXIS to "16384" and "Log Frequency", respectively.

Those high frequencies arent the main air (top) or back.

Let me know if I can help.

EDIT: I for some reason thought you were doing tap tones....I now re-read that you strummed an open G. What are you going for/looking for with this spectogram?

Sam

Here's a screen capture of a parlor guitar tap tones in Audacity. The largest peak is the main air (at 262 hz) and just next to it is the back at 294 hz. Its a parlor so there's not a large difference between top and back tap tones.

temp by samvanlan, on Flickr

Last edited by Sam VanLaningham; 02-28-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: not a good reader:)
Old 02-28-2015, 10:18 PM

I heard the high frequency content and wanted to know if I could see where it was in a plot. I did some tap tones also.

Back resonance 207 Hz

Top resonance 171 Hz

The top with hole resonance of 95 Hz, 178 Hz top.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:46 AM

SOrry for the worthless post! I just saw the plot and started making up all kinds of stuff in my head without even reading, hehe.

So, 171 hz (a flat F) and 207 hz (G#). Hows the guitar sound? 171 has a good thump.

Sam
Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 AM

The brightness overshadows the sound of the guitar. I am trying the Tonerite thing (home made style) to see if the guitar will loosen up. I took the plots right after putting the strings on. If the guitar does 'open up' I would like to see if it has any effect on the plots. Like to get a few days of it being shaken (not stirred). Would be interesting if I can show a measured change even if it is not the most accurate method of measuring.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:10 PM

The walnut seems to be mellowing out a little, or the strings are just loosing their brightness. Going to leave it buzzing for a few more days. In the mean time the Aria seems to be a go.

Being that it is a plywood back and sides I am not sure whether to shave down the back braces to make it a live back or add more bracing to the back so it does not effect the top.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Now this guitar was a real flat top. Flat back also, guess plywood does not need any arc to it. I guess putting some in for the cedar top will make the neck geometry off. Going to have to do some measuring and figuring. Decided to put a basic rosette in the top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair