The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Bucket List - Galloup Guitar Building/Repair School

I'm taking a long hard look at my bucket list and feel that it's time to act on my desire to go to Galloup's school. I'm 64 and have a comfortable retirement income so I'm not looking to set up shop building guitars on my own. If I could push a button, I'd like to learn to do repairs on vintage instruments while working for someone else or possibly do an apprenticeship. I'd love to hear from those who have attended the Galloup School, or really any other. Thanks...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 AM

I attended the master class there and it was very good experience and I don't regret going there. With that being said I was 21 and planning to do this for a living and looking for an apprenticeship immediately upon leaving and I knew it wouldn't be easy to get without saying I attended a lutherie school. Galloup teaches you a lot but it goes by so fast that I wouldn't go there and expect to leave with all the knowledge you need to be a builder, again its a great foundation but thats exactly what it is, a foundation. Also something major to keep in mind is the price of the school, I'm not sure of the program you want to attend but the master class was not cheap. That class cost more that you could go to a few years of college! Honestly if you want to learn repairs I would take their basic program, I think its 2 months to just get a better understanding of how a guitar works and then look for a repair shop that needs some help and is willing to teach. I hope this helps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair