The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Tried out a CF guitar for the first time

I was at our local GC picking up a strap loop. I wandered around checking out the used acoustics and, on the bench, they had a used Composite Acoustics guitar. I think it was a 5mce but I didn't remember the label. I looked online and couldn't find the same.

I know - terrible review when I don't even know the product. I was just zipping through the room, saw it and quickly gave it a try.

The label said something-Series on it. It was not a Cargo-Series, since it had a traditional soundhole and was full size. I thought the CA website would show this but it only listed the Cargo-Series as any models with the word "series" on the label.

Anyway, I picked it up and noodled around for a minute.

One thing I noticed right away was the weight. This thing was substantial. It felt heavier than a wood guitar. Certainly heavier than my Taylor GC or Martin 000. The back was also a highly polished and slightly arched back, making it "seem" slippery. Sort of like the old Ovation complaint, but much less pronounced.

I expected it to sound funny - since it wasn't a wooden guitar.

But when I played it, I was flabbergasted and amazed. It sounded pretty similar to an all-wood guitar. The playability was great. The tone was great.

The guitar had crazy long sustain. And it had a ton of bass response.

Just a great guitar. I didn't have time to give it a really detailed test drive, but as a quick passing trial, it totally piqued my interest.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 AM

For a while, CA used a number/letter scheme to name their guitars. Did the guitar have a cutaway? If so, I think that's the equivalent of the GX.

The GX is a great guitar. I've got one, though I'm planning on selling it (I'm moving towards 24" scale guitars).
Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Fazool, that's how it usually starts: "Well, I'll just see how it sounds..."

From the UTGF, you know I like my Taylor guitars. I have to chuckle when someone says, "I don't like Taylors," whatever the reason... so many body sizes, woods, and tones to pick from. Same with carbon fiber guitars - there isn't one "carbon fiber" sound, although most do have that sparkle you heard.

You may discover, with some more investigating the different CF offerings, that you are a GUITAR guy, not just a wood guitar guy. Just like all those wood guitars out there, some are better suited to your hands and ears than others.

Good on you for giving one a try.

Jim
Old 02-11-2015, 05:42 PM

I noticed the CAs were heavy compared to other guitars. I picked one up in a store too. In a GC I noodled around with a Rainsong Blackice of some sort. Those are sweet guitars too if you see one.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM

Default Greetings from Downstate

Hey Fazool,

Isn't that a great feeling when you experience something brand new?

Everything is so exciting as you experience each new facet.

You were pretty lucky. There isn't that much CF here in New York. I didn't play one until I traveled to California.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 PM

Not all CF guitars are heavy. My RainSong only weighs 4 lbs, and I think the bulk of that comes from the NS neck. Fazool, if you picked up a CA and you found it as heavy or heavier than the wood varieties that you own or have played, you may want to try out a bunch before pulling the trigger on a carbon. Jim is absolutely right, between makes and models carbon fiber guitars vary just like wooden acoustics, but obviously as you know they remain very consistent when the make and model is identical
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
For a while, CA used a number/letter scheme to name their guitars. Did the guitar have a cutaway? If so, I think that's the equivalent of the GX.

The GX is a great guitar. I've got one, though I'm planning on selling it (I'm moving towards 24" scale guitars).
Since getting my first one, I am very impressed with CF guitars. Just bought my second one and I gig regularly with my CA GX, and I am very very happy with it. I also don't think the "carbon" sound is at all outside the range of wood guitars. We all know that wood guitars unto themselves have a heck of a lot of range to their tone -- which expands even further with the variable string factor. I think they sound like, well, guitars. To each his or her own, of course, but they're very much worth a look, in my book.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-11-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Just bought my second one...
What did you get?
Old 02-12-2015, 12:03 AM

When I was doing some really serious, extensive guitar shopping/guitar comparisons at The Podium about 6 years ago they had some Composite Acoustics hanging next to the really awesome higher end Martins in their high end room. I played a few of those Composite Acoustics and was quite impressed.

In the end I sort of could not get around my irrational biases against a non-wood guitar, and didn't really give them a fair shake against their wood competitors. And I suspect even if I had I would have still gone with what I did end up buying (not because it was wood and they were not, but because it was simply awesome).

But I kind of wish I had one of those really nice carbon fiber guitars. They really were very nice guitars. And as I have started to perform just a bit, I find myself wishing I had a good guitar that I could play outdoors in bad weather without having to worry about it.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 AM

This happened to my American friend just yesterday. He has been skeptical ever since I told him I'd bought a Blackbird. He's in Europe visiting and was instantly surprised by the tone and projection and took all his doubts back. He's from California, so he's going to check more carbons out.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:06 PM

I have two older CA Legacy dreadnoughts that sound like they might fit your description. Mine have performer series and player series on the labels....
Old 02-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
What did you get?
The Blackbird Rider, steel-string.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 PM

My Rainsong Studio Parlor is very light. It also has the "rougher" finish which I really like as it will not slide off your lap when playing seated, even without a strap. Great sound and has the fastest neck of any acoustic I have ever owned.

Jon
Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

My RS Shorty seems to weigh about the same as my Taylor 522ce 12-fret and definitely less than my 814.

To go along with the light weight of the guitar, I bought an Access gig bag (similar in construction to the GSmini gig bag)... that combination feels feather-weight traveling with us in our motorhome.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber