The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 PM

Default Buying a tenor uke - Low or High G?

I'll soon be ordering Pono MT tenor from the uke site. I know it's personal preference, and can be changed afterward, but what would you ask for...high G or low G?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

With a background in guitar playing, a low-G might be a little easier at first. Since it ends up the same (relatively) as bottom four strings on guitar.

Either are fun though!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichJ2 View Post
With a background in guitar playing, a low-G might be a little easier at first. Since it ends up the same (relatively) as bottom four strings on guitar.

Either are fun though!
Indeed, though the high G gives some wonderful, delightful opportunities, similar to the high 5th string on a 5-string banjo. In my mind the high G makes a ukulele a distinctly different, very cool instrument rather than it being just a tiny 4-string guitar.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 AM

My vote is high G. Ditto on what Wcap stated.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I always order the low G. HMS will make sure the nut slot is cut to accommodate the bigger string. Then when you switch to re-entrant you know you can go back without adjustment.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I always order the low G. HMS will make sure the nut slot is cut to accommodate the bigger string. Then when you switch to re-entrant you know you can go back without adjustment.
I like that idea. I'll end up trying both, easy to do it this way...

Thanks

Last edited by MrBJones; 05-06-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Very good point!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:19 PM

You already have a guitar, and obviously are looking for something to compliment, as well as being a bit -different-. Use the high G. Pono is a great company, btw, you'll like your uke.

Nothing against low G, I used it for awhile before it all dawned on me.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM

I've got the low G.... Plan on trying the high G next year when I change the strings
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 PM

Why not both? I have a couple of concerts with a high G and my tenor has a low G.

But I'd go with the high G because you play guitar.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Order it with the log G string. That way it is a simple matter to convert back later (by changing one string) because the nut slot will already be cut for the wider low G string. I keep one uke in high G, but almost never play it anymore. All of my ukes in regular play rotation are low G these days.

The high G or re-entrant tuning will give you different sounds and effects, and maybe a more traditional Hawaiian uke sound. But a low G gives you three extra notes you don't really have if you are playing melodies. Finger style tunes tend to work better on low G too, making it easier to replicate tunes you know from guitar already. The high G often just doubles another string, but the low G will double it using an octave, giving a richer sound. Having said all that, Jake Shimabukuro (the best uke player in the world these days) uses a tenor with a high G, much to my surrpise.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:48 AM

Default big 3 K

to begin with...it is more important to start off with a good ukulele.
in Hawaii, the "big 3 K's" are Kamaka, Koaloha, and Kani'lea.

yes, they all start from $1K plus. but, when you start with a quality ukulele you will find that the tone is excellent and you will be more apt to learn. the quality of build will provide years of great playing. the ukulele will stay in tune rather keep getting out of tune.

all of the woods are solid woods and not laminates. they select only good stuff, are properly aged, and all hand built by luthiers with many years of experience.

surely, you can spend a lot. but a good used ukulele is well worth the relative lower price tag when compared to a guitar.

and they maintain a great resell value over the years.

and if you are looking I do have a 2011 Kani'lea deluxe concert ukulele with a passive pickup. it has given way to a Kamaka 1988 tenor.

send a pm or email if you want more info and pics. this is a $1400 ukulele at a great price.
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 05-25-2014, 03:56 AM

One of each!

Seriously though ... if you're into tab, or if traditional Hawai'ian is your thing, more is available for high-G. Low-G, however, is coming into its own. Most instructors around here play low-G ukulele. So, yeah ... both.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 AM

I would say that if you are an accomplished guitar player, play with the high G. I like what was said above - if you are doing this to stretch yourself, do something different. But if you just want to play uke and have fun, then doesn't matter much.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:51 AM

In my experience, high G is more interesting and low G is more practical. Order a low G so the nut slot is cut a bit wider, then change it out for a high G whenever it strikes your fancy. Or do what I did, and quickly succumb to UAS so that you have one of each (and a baritone, and, and...)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments