The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I'm considering the jump myself to learn fiddle. I'm coming from guitar and mandolin with no knowledge of strings instruments. I am thinking pretty seriously of jumping in with the magic fluke cricket instead of going the traditional route. I would love to know if any of you experienced guys have played one and can offer up any advice? If not that, I might rent or find something used.... It's hard knowing nothing in the craigslist market.

The cricket feels more guitar/uke player friendly.
I haven't played a cricket, one of my favorite guitar stores near me has one though. I have to suggest the fiddle I just bought though. It's pretty close to the same price and I'm really happy with it.

http://www.folkmusician.com/Scotti-F...tinfo/FMF%2D3/

Robert does a good setup as well
Old 08-15-2014, 11:13 PM

This is the tune I'm working on now. I really love this sound. If that's not texas fiddling I don't know what is.

Howard Rains is someone I've found to be a good well for a lot of little know very texas style tunes. This is the best one I've found. I can play all the notes in the tune but It's not fluid and I haven't put it together yet, but it will get there

Bought his album "The Old Texas Fiddle" and it's been a lot of fun. Quite a few tunes I want to learn from this album.

Last edited by Teleman52; 08-16-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:32 PM

Gonna head out to my first jam this week. It's a full speed bluegrass jam, idk this might be a big mistake haha but at the same time it might be good to just jump out in the water and see what happens.

I'm gonna bring my mandolin along for any tunes that I might not be comfortable with. But I've got a fair number of tunes up to speed, of course I'm just going to have to play them straight and they aren't perfect, but it should be a good learning experience.

Wish me luck
Old 09-19-2014, 04:48 PM

here's my cornerless fiddle:
http://www.fiddlehangout.com/photo/1863

and here's a video someone took while i was busking with my other fiddle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzqJp2clLAY

Last edited by janepaints; 09-19-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Default vibrato

well I bought a electric violin I play jazz fusion a concert violinist I met told me not to waste money on a expensive acoustic as I would be amplifying it anyway. I need tips on getting good vibrato I can pull vibrato at will on the guitar but finding it hard on the violin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments