The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-26-2015, 02:27 PM

Default Tinting Car Windows

I purchased a used car that needs window tinting. A reputable local tinting shop offers films from two different companies - Madico and LLumar. I did some research and have gotten nowhere. Do you have any experience on both films? Which of the two do you prefer and why?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 PM

Default Tinting?

I'm in Southern California and the sun can get hot, but I've never been a fan of tinting.

I set up window shades at the windshield, side windows, and back window when I park, using the expandable/collapsible magic shades, and that way the view is clear when I'm driving.

To my mind, tinting is always a compromise, and if it goes wrong later you get bubbles or irregularities. At best you lose that clear, crisp, vision of untreated glass.

Actually my glass is tinted at the factory, -- but you have to look very closely to even notice that.

Would imagine if you find a reputable shop they can guide you to window film.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:38 PM

Like a lot of things, the prep is more important than the tint, unless it is cheap tint. Just go to a place with a good rep...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 07-26-2015, 07:25 PM
G625 mistral-k

Living in Florida, tinting is just about a given for us on our cars. We typically hold on to our cars seven to ten years. We have always found a reputable firm to tint our cars. No issues, no bubbling, no peeling, no reduced vision or irregularities on any vehicle over the last 25 plus years. Also, we would suggest you invest in a windshield sun screen when you park in the sun.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM

Depending on where you live, be careful with aftermarket tints from a legal standpoint; my daughter's ex got his @$$ handed to him by Highway Patrol when he decided to go gangsta with zero-visibility windows on their then-brand-new car - had to pay a hefty ticket and pay again to have the whole job undone...
Old 07-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Living in Florida, tinting is just about a given for us on our cars. We typically hold on to our cars seven to ten years. We have always found a reputable firm to tint our cars. No issues, no bubbling, no peeling, no reduced vision or irregularities on any vehicle over the last 25 plus years. Also, we would suggest you invest in a windshield sun screen when you park in the sun.
I've done it with several vehicles and agree that with good prep work, bubbles, etc are not an issue. The place I go to gives a ten year warranty against it.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I have done it on my own vehicles in the past as well as many that were from collision work where one or two doors needed to be tinted after repair. One thing that my supplier for the tint suggested was to try to always use 3M brand tint film. Many of the less expensive films tend to turn purple over time.
I really prefer not to have my own vehicles tinted. At night in the rain, I can't see a danged thing!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:40 AM

I've had vehicles tinted with Solar Guard and Llumar. Both are good products that are optically clear and definitely reduce interior temperature. Here in Arizona, the front seat windows have to be a certain legal density (off hand, I don't recall the specification). However, the other windows can be whatever tint the owner desires. Thus, I have the legal tint on my front windows and dark limo tint on the other windows. The limo tint does make backing up a bit difficult at night. I also paid the price and had a custom fit heat shield made for the front windshield. Believe me, the custom fit heat shield is worth the money. The cheap ones from the auto stores never fit correctly and disintegrate after about two years. My custom ones are over eight years old and still in good shape. You can do an internet search for auto heat shields and find the manufacturers.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Depending on where you live, be careful with aftermarket tints from a legal standpoint; my daughter's ex got his @$$ handed to him by Highway Patrol when he decided to go gangsta with zero-visibility windows on their then-brand-new car - had to pay a hefty ticket and pay again to have the whole job undone...
This is what I was going to point out. Just had a good friend stopped by the cops. Luckily he was just warned and was given 10 days to have it removed. He did just that. Know your state law before you do anything.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 PM

I did auto window tinting for a few years back in the later 90's. Llumar was the only brand I would use that was available on the market at that time due to the quality and durability. IIRC, there were different grades with the upper grades having better fade resistance. So I would check into that with the local dealer. I cannot vouch for what they make today, but if the product is equal or better than it was then, then Llumar would be my choice.

As far as tint, each state has different laws regarding how dark. Your local shop should be able to advise on your particular state.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic