The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-26-2015, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

We play background music in our Crystal Gallery, as well as at shows. Over the last 12 years, I've observed how the music choices relate to sales. Now that we use Pandora, and have retired our old iPod, it pretty much stays on the "Yoga Radio" station. The music is mellow, sets a nice vibe, and the variety is nice if you work all day. It's easy to change stations, and as it plays via Wifi from our iPad using AirPlay, I also have access to my music library if desired.

At shows, I use my all time favorites from music on my phone, with a portable Bluetooth audio player. The day starts with an album of Mozart Piano Concertos. I like the mood it sets, and was surprised to discover early on in the business, that it was also the best and most consistent for sales.

If it's sufficiently busy, that can repeat all day, but I usually change it to a collection of tracks called "Namaste One." That goes for a few hours, until I get tired of it, and then play another 30 minute track called "One", by First Love. That takes us pretty much through the day. Sometimes all that mellow music gets a little too much for me, and I'll switch to a light rock playlist I made with artists like Bob Marley, the Beatles, Van Morrison, etc.

We consistently get compliments on our music, and are asked if we sell what's playing, which we don't. At shows, we are usually one of very few vendors that play music. We keep the volume appropriate so it doesn't disturb our neighbors.

One of the effects of having music, is that it enhances sensory perception overall. We also carry Voyage Air guitars. While not a music store, we get lots of travelers, and the profits (we do sell one every so often) help fund my youngest son's guitar equipment. It's nice to have them hanging on the wall behind our checkout area, and if it's slow, I can hit pause, and play a song or two. Another cool thing, is having people come in and play them, and most are surprisingly good. I keep an A harmonica on hand for impromptu jams.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-26-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I'd guess that never in their wildest dreams did the band imagine that their anthem for doomed youth would set the perfect ambience for choosing a Merlot over a Cabernet to go with deli meats at this evening's little soiree!
i heard on the radio that all these bands are coming out with beers. the latest was queen with a bohemian lager.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
Awhile back my wife and I went to a breakfast place in town we had yet to visit. It was Sunday morning and they were blasting loud disco music. I've never been back.
My fiancé and I went down to Captain's Quarters on the river to eat out on the deck last Sunday, have a couple of drinks and watch the boats go by. There was a duo playing plugged in acoustics on the deck that were so loud we left after our first drink and didn't eat.

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Just back from the store:

1) Hard Rock-unrecognized
2) Techno-pop-unrecognized
3) Billy Joel-You May Be Right (A personal Favorite-so I bought lots of extra groceries!)
4) Phil Collins-In the Air Tonight
Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 AM

I almost preferred things when it was all generic, mindless muzak burbling away in the background.

It can be really infuriating when you're deep into a Joni Mitchell tune to have it heartlessly interrupted by an announcement for a special on ground chuck.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
I almost preferred things when it was all generic, mindless muzak burbling away in the background.

It can be really infuriating when you're deep into a Joni Mitchell tune to have it heartlessly interrupted by an announcement for a special on ground chuck.
"...hey farmer farmer, put away that ddt now, give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees..."

[...yes, that's right, valued shoppers, check out our delicious fresh apples in produce, now on sale. so get them before they're gone. don't forget to stock up on insect repellent while you're here, aisle 12. and remember, there's always free parking in our massive parking lot. need a cab? check with customer service...]

Last edited by mc1; 07-26-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: tpyo
Old 07-26-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Just back from the store:

1) Hard Rock-unrecognized
2) Techno-pop-unrecognized
3) Billy Joel-You May Be Right (A personal Favorite-so I bought lots of extra groceries!)
4) Phil Collins-In the Air Tonight
No store I've been in played anything like this list! Very edgy!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
"...hey farmer farmer, put away that ddt now, give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees..."

[...yes, that's right, valued shoppers, check out our delicious fresh apples in produce, now on sale. so get them before there gone. don't forget to stock up on insect repellent while you're here, aisle 12. and remember, there's always free parking in our massive parking lot. need a cab? check with customer service...]
Thanks for that little flashback, very realistic!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

[...yes, that's right, valued shoppers, check out our delicious fresh apples in produce, now on sale. so get them before there gone. don't forget to stock up on insect repellent while you're here, aisle 12. and remember, there's always free parking in our massive parking lot. need a cab? check with customer service...]
Screen door slamming? Check out our selection of lubricants and door hardware over in Home & Garden!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:59 PM

I think that business establishments play the kind of music that they think their target demographic will like, and drive away “undesirable” customers. That teen-dance-pop drek you hear in cheap-trendy-but-disposable clothing stores like Forever 21 or H&M is meant to attract the tweens and teens spending their allowances (or their parents’ credit cards). If you’re in a restaurant and you find the music too annoying or loud and fast, congratulations: the establishment would rather you finish your meal and leave so that younger patrons will take your place--and eat and drink a lot more (and more quickly). We went to Nobu once, and the loud and mechanical EDM was like a jackhammer. Clearly, they didn’t want old fartz who were there for the food. (And some places find that young and attractive customers attract more of the same).

BTW, have you noticed that linen/housewares stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond or Crate & Barrel all seem to smell like potpourri? Industry studies have shown that scents such as that (especially rose petals, apples and cinnamon) make customers feel more “domestic” and subconsciously induce them to buy stuff that they think will make their own homes resemble the ambience of those stores.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:25 PM

I don't really mind a little music playing while I'm shopping, and as long as it's not deafening, I don't really care what the genre is...

But the thing I hear way too much of these days is some Diva caterwauling her way thru a song... I've heard some classic rock and pop being screeched and slaughtered so loudly and poorly that I barely recognize wth the tune is...
Old 07-26-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I don't really mind a little music playing while I'm shopping, and as long as it's not deafening, I don't really care what the genre is...
No, I don't mind it, either, but I'd prefer instrumental music. It's the wrong setting for rock classics, as far as I'm concerned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic