The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-25-2015, 05:26 PM

Default 'Overplayed' albums you now enjoy

Albums that were simply 'overplayed' when you were young and you grew sick of but you re-visited later in life and now enjoy.
1. Led Zeppelin 2- played at every party I ever went to in the early 70's. Too rough for my ears but when I listened again about 10 years ago I can hear how brilliant Jimmy Page really was.
2. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd -radio saturation killed it for me, I preferred the earlier 'Meddle' album that got absolutely no airplay. Too commercial for me at the time but I enjoy it now for what it is. I think 'Wish You Were Here' is their best.
3. The Eagles - just didn't like their laid back style when I first heard it, took some years to grow on me and now I appreciate the strength and depth of their writing and performing.
Any similar experiences?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-25-2015, 05:52 PM

Thumbs up

Traffic...."Low spark of High heeled boys"
Beatles..."Abbey Road"
Old 07-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Not in the way your postulate, but there are albums that I didn't like in the past and like now (Wish You Were Here being one of them!). Or albums that I just didn't consider or ever listen to that are now favorites, like Obscured by Clouds, Ram, Barnstorm, and Let It Be.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Some of the ones I played so much it wore out the grooves in the vinyl

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-25-2015, 08:01 PM

Beatles '65
Rubber Soul
CSN (the "front porch" album)
Blood, Sweat & Tears (first one with David Clayton-Thomas)
Sundown
Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM

Poems, Prayers and Promises - John Denver
I bought it only a couple of months after it came out, so between one and two years before Country Roads got "discovered" and started being played to death on radio down here. When that happened and for years thereafter, much as I loved the song, I would cringe every time it came on. Took me years to get past that and recall how good the album was.

Dirk
Old 07-26-2015, 05:23 AM

My ears got worn out on these more than four decades ago. Lately I've rediscovered how much I like them.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-26-2015, 05:43 AM

I'm one of those annoying people who don't believe in the concept. If I like it, I can keep playing it. I'll change things up for variety but things never seem overplayed.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:52 AM

There are songs and albums that I never grow sick of - Sheer Heart Attack, Led Zep II and IV, Sgt. Pepper, Children of the Future, Automatic for the People, among others - but I find that once I do overhear stuff to the point of 'no more!' I can never go back. If 'Layla,' 'Hotel California,' or 'American Pie' come on the radio, I inwardly groan. I love Goat's Head Soup and Exile on Main Street, but I would gladly never hear Let it Bleed or Beggars Banquet again. I can't imagine revisiting this stuff at some point in the future with a more appreciative ear.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
I'm one of those annoying people who don't believe in the concept. If I like it, I can keep playing it. I'll change things up for variety but things never seem overplayed.
I'm the same. I never really tire of anything. I have my moods when I will concentrate on a certain genre or artist and then move on, but I always come back around.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I love Goat's Head Soup and Exile on Main Street, but I would gladly never hear Let it Bleed or Beggars Banquet again.
Wow. Beggar's Banquet I kinda get, but Let It Bleed is one I can't even imagine getting tired of.

Different ears hear different things, I suppose.

Dirk
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Wow. Beggar's Banquet I kinda get, but Let It Bleed is one I can't even imagine getting tired of.

Different ears hear different things, I suppose.

Dirk
Well, I suppose I still have a soft spot for Midnight Rambler, but that's about it. And I absolutely loved the album when my brother bought it back in the late 70s.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Default My Goal's Beyond

For me, I recently picked up a CD copy of John McLaughlin's "My Goal's Beyond". Still sounds pretty good to my ears...although that Ovation does sound a little tinny in the upper registers to me now. Maybe it's just the digital compression...
AVALON * MCILROY * FURCH/STONEBRIDGE * HUSS & DALTON * BOURGEOIS

466 Amherst Street Buffalo New York 14207
[email protected]
www.thefrettedbuffalo.com
716-913-6487
Old 07-26-2015, 11:57 AM

I tend not to play things until I can't stand them, but my interest will drift after a while and I move on, but often revisit older trends.

The closest I can come in experience is hating certain music that I heard on the school bus (We had a very cool bus driver, the bus had a cassette deck and he let the kids send up tapes to play) because I tended to hear the same songs over and over, they'd pass up a tape and once 'the big hit' got played they'd shout "Pass it back, Ed!" and send up another tape. When I was in High School I hated The Police, Big Country, Duran Duran, The Hooters, Men at Work, etc. for that reason. I was an album person, and I'd just be getting into something and have it chopped off at the knees. I later got into The Police and Duran Duran quite a bit after I was removed from that environment.

One day though I got them. I thought that 'Ed the bus driver' was likely to be a country music fan judging by his age and manner of dress, and that Lynyrd Skynyrd just might be close enough to tickle his fancy so I passed up 'One More From the Road'. I was right, When they shouted "Pass it back, Ed!" after Sweet Home he said "Oh no, this is good music, I wanna hear it!" and we listened to Skynyrd all the way to school.

Ed was so cool that I asked him to sign my yearbook when I graduated.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:53 PM

In a way I blame Classic Rock Radio. They played what would have been FM with the frequency of AM hits, and for me that ruined so many songs I liked growing up. I grew tired of hearing Hotel California for example, or Dream On.

So I stopped listening to classic rock radio and went exploring new music. There is a lot of good stuff out there. Now after this radio cleanse I can listen to my old favorites again. La Grange sounds way better in the order it pops up on on the album.

Tres Hombres, Toys in the Attic, Boston are all albums that come to mind.
Epiphone Dot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic