The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Another wonderful day in the saddle yesterday, but had a very close encounter of the furry kind on Virginia's Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park. I was riding at a cautious 30 mph when a young bear jumped out in front of my bike. Hit the brakes, went into a skid, but didn't lose it nor did I hit the bear which couldn't have been more than 2-3 feet from my front wheel. Changed my Fruit of the Looms, and I was good-to-go although I still can't figure how I avoided dropping the bike and hitting the bear....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-28-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 PM

Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault

Last edited by James_214ce; 03-17-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 PM

I completed my motorcycle safety training at the Harley Davidson Riding Academy in Ft Worth, Texas.

After I visit the DPS/DMV today to change my DL status, I will be legally licensed to ride a motorcycle!
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault

Last edited by James_214ce; 03-16-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Another wonderful day in the saddle yesterday, but had a very close encounter of the furry kind on Virginia's Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park. I was riding at a cautious 30 mph when a young bear jumped out in front of my bike. Hit the brakes, went into a skid, but didn't lose it nor did I hit the bear which couldn't have been more than 2-3 feet from my front wheel. Changed my Fruit of the Looms, and I was good-to-go although I still can't figure how I avoided dropping the bike and hitting the bear....
Ya just never know what the road holds in store. We also had incident that could have been bad. About 3 weeks ago on an unusually warm day my wife and I and made are usual run up a river canyon. While coming back down the canyon and around a curve, just as we straightened out , going from dark shadow to blinding sunlight we hit a flat-ish rectangular shaped rock bout 8" long and 4" high which jarred us and put the front wheel about 8" or 10" into the air. Basically like running into a 4" curb straight on, about 40 mph.

Fortunately we stayed upright. I stopped and and looked down at the tire which appeared to be fine and was not flat. So we continued home. Pulled the the bike out two days ago got about 1 mile before noticing the front tire was getting low, got home and noticed the rim was bent out of round and the lip was bent out about 5/16 ths in one spot . So now we are waiting for a new wheel to come.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
(And frankly, I think part of the Harley community will steer you into less safe practices for the sake of "image".)
What's that supposed to mean? What "part" are you referring to? What "image"?

The most irresponsible riders I see are those chuckleheads on their rice-burners and crotch rockets. Remember those "street gangs" which were terrorizing New York motorists some years back? How many were on Harleys?

Right: None.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4yTAeGxbsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUEXftRlgr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPu7r3KsSNk

It's these idiots who are far more likely to operate their bikes unsafely. It's these idiots who'll put the safety of others at risk.

You won't find a single Harley in those videos because, in fact, Harley riders are generally far more responsible when it comes to riding a motorcycle.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-30-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: rule #1
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
What's that supposed to mean? What "part" are you referring to? What "image"?

The most irresponsible riders I see are those chuckleheads on their rice-burners and crotch rockets. Remember those "street gangs" which were terrorizing New York motorists some years back? How many were on Harleys?

Right: None.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4yTAeGxbsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUEXftRlgr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPu7r3KsSNk

It's these idiots who are far more likely to operate their bikes unsafely. It's these idiots who'll put the safety of others at risk.

You won't find a single Harley in those videos because, in fact, Harley riders are generally far more responsible when it comes to riding a motorcycle.
Whoa big fella. He did not say "irresponsible" or even "put others safety at risk" He said "less safe practices" If he is referring to (not wearing helmets), he would in that case be at least partially correct. Not wearing a helmet is "less safe" than wearing one. Irresponsible and unlawful behavior is a different subject.

But I do disagree with the "will steer you into" part of his statement. I think it more accurate to say there is significant part of the Harley culture that revolves around " image" and unfortunately often includes the notion to eschew the wearing a helmet in favor of bandanna's and ball caps etc. where legal to so.
And least we get our bandannas in a twist , I am a Harley rider

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-30-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: edited quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Whoa big fella. He did not say "irresponsible" or even "put others safety at risk" He said "less safe practices" If he is referring to (not wearing helmets), he would in that case be at least partially correct. Not wearing a helmet is "less safe" than wearing one. Irresponsible and unlawful behavior is a different subject.
I know plenty of rice jockeys who don't wear helmets. Saying that "part of the Harley community" is the segment doing it is wrong.

Quote:
But I do disagree with the "will steer you into" part of his statement. I think it more accurate to say there is significant part of the Harley culture that revolves around " image" and unfortunately often includes the notion to eschew the wearing a helmet in favor of bandanna's and ball caps etc. where legal to so.
Again, there's no shortage of sport bike riders who don't wear protective gear. Around here, you'll lose count of the number of them wearing shorts and flip flops pretty quickly.

I guess it's natural to go after Harley owners, though. After all, everything some people need to know about Harley riders is what they watched on Sons Of Anarchy.

In which, as a matter of fact, helmets were worn.

Last edited by El Diablo; 03-17-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
I know plenty of rice jockeys who don't wear helmets. Saying that "part of the Harley community" is the segment doing it is wrong.

Again, there's no shortage of sport bike riders who don't wear protective gear. Around here, you'll lose count of the number of them wearing shorts and flip flops pretty quickly.

I guess it's natural to go after Harley owners, though. After all, everything some people know about Harley riders is what they watched on Sons Of Anarchy.

In which, as a matter of fact, helmets were worn.
Unfortunately you are again misstating and changing words. Nobody said Harley riders are the only ones who do not wear helmets. And did you not read the the last sentence of my post ? But the fact that some riders of other brands also do not wear helmets does nothing to change the fact that the practice of not doing so and image is in fact part of the Harley culture.
I agree that around here with especially being a collage town there are a number of rice rocket riders wearing shorts ect. on hot days.
BUT to be clear the percentage of "other brand" riders who do not wear helmets compared to the percentage of Harley riders who do not wear helmets is exponentially less.

And to clear blue jeans a leather vest and a bandanna is also "not protective gear" The best thing about the Harley "image" that is more safe, is boots.

Now these are just the facts as viewed by a fellow Harley Rider who having been a bartender at an outlaw biker bar and a "friend" of the Gypsy Jokers.
I can enjoy the pure entertainment value and writing acumen of "The Sons of Anarchy" while not being influenced by it.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 AM

Congratulations! You have now learned to walk. I am not a big fan of new riders getting big cruisers or 1,000cc sport bikes. It is an accident waiting to happen. Do some research into motorcycle accidents and you will see what I mean. It is well documented.

Want further proof. Go to this site http://www.crashedtoys.com/
Click on the motorcycle at the bottom left. It is page after page of wrecked motorcycles. Look at the preponderance of wrecked late model Harley baggers. That should be your Ahha moment!

At the Chicago motorcycle show I talked to the people from Crashed Toys. They are the largest reseller of crash damaged motorcycles in the USA. They get them from the insurance companies. They had two display bikes. Both HD FLH's with damage. Both were ride able, but the cost to repair them exceeds the value of the bike and the insurance company writes them off. They were simple little low speed crashes. Rookie mistakes with motorcycles that exceed 800 lbs. don't end well. There is just too much mass to control.

My advice is to get a used motorcycle and ride it for a year or so. Get 5 or 6,000 miles on it and then move up. There are 750cc to 900cc metric cruisers that weigh 300 lbs. less than a Harley FLH. Or get a "standard".

The photo below is my wife and I in front of the Harrison Hotel (motorcycle friendly) in Harrison, AR. Her current bike is a Honda Shadow Aero. It is decked out to look like a HD Heritage Softail Classic.

My wife didn't start riding until she was 40. She took the (MSF) Motorcycle Safety Foundation new rider course and passed it the first time! She had never even ridden with me. She loved riding. Here is her progression of motorcycles and how long she has owned the bike

Used Honda Rebel 250cc 1 year riding
Harley Davidson 883 Sportster 5 years but over lapped to the next
Harley Davidson Low Rider 2 years traded for
Harley Davidson Daytona Special edition low rider. 5 years sold
Honda VLX She hated it. too small 3 years
Honda Shadow Aero She likes it but it is underpowered for touring. 2004 to present.

She is now 68 years old. When we sell our house and move to Santa Fe I am going to get her a Triumph Bonneville America as a gift. She is a competent rider. She has never had an accident or dropped her bike. She is 5'2" and weighs 118 lbs. Our retirement is going to be heavy into riding. I have the crew cab and next will be a toy hauler 5th wheel.

My primary bike is the Honda ST1100 in the photo but there are a total of 7 motorcycles in the garage.

How long can a person ride. Well the gentleman in the photo is Spike. He was 91 years old when the photo was taken.

This was on the Colorado 500 Charity Motorcycle Ride which is usually 800 to 1,000 miles in 5 days.

The photo below is Spike with his daughter and son-in-law, Dennis Firestone who raced Indy Cars in the late 70's and early 80's. The other fellow in the red shirt is an Air Force General but his claim to fame was flying the back of the diamond in the Air Force Thunderbirds for two years.

1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)

Last edited by mdunn; 03-17-2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Fix photo mistake and add copy
Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on getting to the point of being a legally licensed motorcyclist. Now, the adventure really begins.

As I mentioned early in this thread, I have been riding motorcycles since 1967, and have owned a bunch of different makes and models. There will be the usual "Harley riders do this... and crotch rocket riders do that..." and those are mostly meaningless stereotypes. You will ride the way you choose.

Since you aren't a kid, you are less likely to be influenced by the group mentality, but when you ride with others, you will find riders of all experience levels. Don't be concerned about trying to keep up or riding beyond your comfort zone.

I taught my wife to ride when we were both teenagers, and we have been riding partners ever since. All those years and miles together, we really can anticipate what each other will do. She, especially, does not like group riding because of the uncertainty (and sometimes outright stupidity) of others in the group.

We have belonged to Harley groups (HOG), Goldwing groups, and a BMW group. Almost always, in group riding situations, we found the group tended to ride harder and faster than the least experienced in the group should have been riding. I caution you to not get caught up in that.

Ride aware, and understand that the average motorist isn't out to get you, but they simply aren't aware of your presence. Build your skills with practice. The MSF class gave you the basics, but it will be many months and miles before you are a proficient rider. Keep that in mind as you take on challenging roads with other, more experienced riders.

Have fun, ride safe,
Captain Jim
Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
Having gone through a Harley phase, please, please, please, ride a BMW boxer before you buy a Harley.
Why would you say that? I have a 2002 Road King (FLHR) with 100,000K miles on it. Hasn't needed anything other than gas, oil, and tires ... and has taken me anywhere I wanted to go ... in comfort.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_214ce View Post
I am 53 years old, six foot one, and weigh 220 lbs. This will be my "first" motorcycle and I have only moderate riding experience.

I thought I wanted the Wide Glide until I sat on a Heritage Softail while attending a local CMA meeting, and now I cannot decide.

Any experienced riders have an opinion?
At 6'1" I'm sure you'd find the Softail a bit cramped, and a bit too low to the ground. The Dyna Wide Glide is OK, but not my thing for all day riding. I'd suggest you check out the Road King FLHR. Great frame, comfortable for us taller guys, and extremely maneuverable despite its size. My 2002 has 100,000+ miles, and still runs as good as the day I picked her up at the dealer. My duo partner was in the market for a Harley five years ago, he also wanted a Heritage Classic, I had him try one at a local shop, and then had him ride my Road King. He bought a 2010 Road King, and thanks me almost every time we ride.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Unfortunately you are again misstating and changing words. Nobody said Harley riders are the only ones who do not wear helmets.
From post #51:

Quote:
He said "less safe practices" If he is referring to (not wearing helmets), he would in that case be at least partially correct. Not wearing a helmet is "less safe" than wearing one.
That was referencing the post in which unimogbert said:

Quote:
And frankly, I think part of the Harley community will steer you into less safe practices for the sake of "image".
So, yeah, someone did say that.

Quote:
And did you not read the the last sentence of my post?
I did.

And?

Quote:
But the fact that some riders of other brands also do not wear helmets does nothing to change the fact that the practice of not doing so and image is in fact part of the Harley culture.
That's wrong. It's a practice of all bikers. The strong suggestion was that it's the Harley riders do it and no one else.

Quote:
I agree that around here with especially being a collage town there are a number of rice rocket riders wearing shorts ect. on hot days.
BUT to be clear the percentage of "other brand" riders who do not wear helmets compared to the percentage of Harley riders who do not wear helmets is exponentially less.
Come to Florida, where yours would be a false statement.

Quote:
I can enjoy the pure entertainment value and writing acumen of "The Sons of Anarchy" while not being influenced by it.
And there are plenty of people who, because of that show, have a very distorted view of what bikers are. Not Angels and Mongols, but bikers. I'm a Lone Wolf, and am nothing like members from either of those groups.

Try telling that to the blue-hair down the street, though.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-30-2015 at 09:09 AM. Reason: rule #1
Old 03-17-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
I am not a big fan of new riders getting big cruisers or 1,000cc sport bikes.
Wise words.

My brother started out on a Wide Glide. It was a nice enough bike, but it wouldn't be good for the long haul. He rode that for about three years, got comfortable being on a motorcycle, and stepped up to a Street Glide.

That's a nice bike, and it weathers a long ride very well. He rode it to Sturgis, from Florida, last year.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
Congratulations! You have now learned to walk. I am not a big fan of new riders getting big cruisers or 1,000cc sport bikes. It is an accident waiting to happen. Do some research into motorcycle accidents and you will see what I mean. It is well documented.

Want further proof. Go to this site http://www.crashedtoys.com/
Click on the motorcycle at the bottom left. It is page after page of wrecked motorcycles. Look at the preponderance of wrecked late model Harley baggers. That should be your Ahha moment!

At the Chicago motorcycle show I talked to the people from Crashed Toys. They are the largest reseller of crash damaged motorcycles in the USA. They get them from the insurance companies. They had two display bikes. Both HD FLH's with damage. Both were ride able, but the cost to repair them exceeds the value of the bike and the insurance company writes them off. They were simple little low speed crashes. Rookie mistakes with motorcycles that exceed 800 lbs. don't end well. There is just too much mass to control.

My advice is to get a used motorcycle and ride it for a year or so. Get 5 or 6,000 miles on it and then move up. There are 750cc to 900cc metric cruisers that weigh 300 lbs. less than a Harley FLH. Or get a "standard".

The photo below is my wife and I in front of the Harrison Hotel (motorcycle friendly) in Harrison, AR. Her current bike is a Honda Shadow Aero. It is decked out to look like a HD Heritage Softail Classic.

My wife didn't start riding until she was 40. She took the (MSF) Motorcycle Safety Foundation new rider course and passed it the first time! She had never even ridden with me. She loved riding. Here is her progression of motorcycles

Used Honda Rebel 250cc
Harley Davidson 883 Sportser
Harley Davidson Low Rider
Harley Davidson Daytona Special edition low rider.
Honda VLX She hated it.
Honda Shadow Aero She likes it but it is underpowered for touring.

She is now 68 years old. When we sell our house and move to Santa Fe I am going to get her a Triumph Bonneville America as a gift. She is a competent rider. She has never had an accident or dropped her bike. She is 5'2" and weighs 118 lbs. Our retirement is going to be heavy into riding. I have the crew cab and next will be a toy hauler 5th wheel.

My primary bike is the Honda ST1100 in the photo but here are a total of 7 motorcycles in the garage.
Triumph Bonneville America is a nice choice. I'm curious why she didn't like the VLX. Have ridden one myself and really liked it.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic