The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Tonerite on Nylon

Hi All,

I just got a Alhambra nylon Crossover.I have a Tonerite and have used it with good results on my steel string guitars. I was wondering if anyone has used a Tonerite on a Nylon string guitar and what was their results.

Thanks,
Rixter
2014 Charis SJ Florentine Cutaway(Sinker/Braz)
2015 Martin Custom OMDBH (Adi/Koa)
2017 Razo #20 Florentine Cutaway (German/Madagascar)
Old 09-16-2011, 07:04 AM

I have used it, but with limited success compared to my steel string guitars. I suspect this is more to do with the fact that my nylon guitars are all cedar topped. I observed less change in using the tone-rite on the Cedar top steel string guitars.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info!
2014 Charis SJ Florentine Cutaway(Sinker/Braz)
2015 Martin Custom OMDBH (Adi/Koa)
2017 Razo #20 Florentine Cutaway (German/Madagascar)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 PM

Cool

Wow...that's one I had not considered...GREAT question...

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I'm aware of a few builders that have used them. I personally do not, as I feel that a guitar that doesn't sound excellent off the bench will never be a high performance instrument, no matter how much you break it in, either playing or artificially. I also believe that a player should break in the guitar by playing and not with a Tone-Rite. That way, he/she learns the idiosyncrasies of the instrument as it opens up, and grows with the instrument. They do change a great deal, but not from average to good, or good to great. Maybe from great to, "Oh my!" Most of the changes I hear are in terms of overtones, sparkle and a bit bigger bass.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 AM

I have a tonerite and used it on my nylon spruce top and it works pretty well. I could hear the difference... I read somewhere that it is not recommended for Cedar top...

bye for now
Kevin
Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limnephilidae View Post
I have used it, but with limited success compared to my steel string guitars. I suspect this is more to do with the fact that my nylon guitars are all cedar topped. I observed less change in using the tone-rite on the Cedar top steel string guitars.

What's with the fact that it is a cedar - topped?
Hence, thanks for these helpful facts. I will be familiar with them soon, I do hope.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Galloway View Post
What's with the fact that it is a cedar - topped?
Hence, thanks for these helpful facts. I will be familiar with them soon, I do hope.
Depending on who you talk to around here, some of us feel that cedar does not change as much as spruce does over time. Thus, we believe that the "opening up" effect is less pronounced on a cedar top than a spruce one. I usually find that my spruce top guitars respond well to a tonerite treatment for warm-up, more so than the cedar. As some of the spruce tops don't respond at all it is hardly a scientific observation. As it is, I try to obsess about my work at this detail rather than my guitars, I just like to play.

I have never met a guitar that the could be transformed from dead into lively with a tonerite. I'll hold my breath for some wacko heathen ritual instead. In the meantime, my tonerite is handy for waking up most of my spruce flat tops. If I say anymore I will start to attract the forum trolls.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limnephilidae View Post
Depending on who you talk to around here, some of us feel that cedar does not change as much as spruce does over time. Thus, we believe that the "opening up" effect is less pronounced on a cedar top than a spruce one.
Yes. The general thinking (or at least what I have been told) is that cedar tends to be pretty much what it is, and what it is going to be, from the very start, with very little opening up. Some folks actually feel that cedar can get worse (sort of worn out) after many years of playing. If the latter is actually true, then I'm not sure I'd want to use a Tonrite and hasten the process.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical