The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-07-2017, 07:49 AM

Default Mini Speaker Stands for Acoustic Acts

Have you found yourself in this situation?

You carefully source and curate the "perfect" compact PA system for your small solo or duo act. After squeezing and condensing all of your gear into a neat "one hand carry" package you realize, " aw crap! I need to bring that HUGE speaker stand too!"

Luckily, there's a solution for that. For audiences of primarily seated people, like a coffeehouse, you can fit this into your gig bag or directly into your speaker bag.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSAS7000B

In my case, I'll be using the Mackie Reach and FreePlay more frequently since it fits the smaller rooms I play in. However, unlike my JBL Eon One, those work best with a speaker stand. To maintain one hand carry, I purchased an inexpensive 34" rolling duffle bag with handle to transport the Mackie Reach. This speaker stand will fit in the bag along side it. Easy peasy. When using the FreePlay, that bag can go over the shoulder, and the speaker stand in your hand.

Nifty.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-07-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 AM

I bought a Samson LS40 a month or so ago to use with my Roland Street Cube EX. Nice and small but the weight capacity is only 40 pounds vs 60 for the On-Stage model you linked to. Let us know how stable it feels with the Reach when you get it.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I bought a Samson LS40 a month or so ago to use with my Roland Street Cube EX. Nice and small but the weight capacity is only 40 pounds vs 60 for the On-Stage model you linked to. Let us know how stable it feels with the Reach when you get it.

I also liked that his one weights 4.5 lbs versus 6 lbs (listed) for the Samson. The Samson appears to be the same design but goes a little higher. To accommodate the extra height, they de-rated the weight to 44 lbs capacity. I suspect you can accomplish the same with the On Stage model. It's just great that these compact options are available.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:35 AM

So I could probably use the Samson with the Reach as long as I didn't go all that high. Interesting. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
So I could probably use the Samson with the Reach as long as I didn't go all that high. Interesting. Thanks.

The Reach is only 30lbs, so I suspect you're good to go at max height with both. However, neither stand will get to ear height with a larger standing crowd. So it's really good for restaurants, banquets, and coffee houses.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 AM

You know, standing crowds is the one real weakness of my Bose L1 system. What's important is getting the high frequency drivers above peoples heads. Yes with a mostly sitting crowd, and a slightly raised stage, you really don't need or want that much height.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
You know, standing crowds is the one real weakness of my Bose L1 system. What's important is getting the high frequency drivers above peoples heads. Yes with a mostly sitting crowd, and a slightly raised stage, you really don't need or want that much height.

I've heard that complaint before, but it always surprises me. I would have thought that L1 array was high enough.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 AM

I use the L1 for a mobile church audio gig I do. In one venue, the stage is about a foot up. In the other it is about three feet up. On the higher stage the L1 is great for both sitting and standing crowds. With the lower stage, you start losing the highs at the back of the room when people are standing. There is no question this is a powerful system that can handle loud crowds of several hundred people. I've used it in triple wide ballrooms and it has been just great. You can make it sound like a rave if you want to! It sounds really good in small rooms too. I have three subwoofers: two smaller B1s and one of the larger B2. I also have their "Packlite" subwoofer amp so I can run them all at once if I want to (which is great for large outdoor gigs).

I have, but rarely use the T1 mixer. What I've been using is a Behringer XR-18 in a rack with a bunch of wireless recievers and a distribution box for the in-ear monitors. I use P16 monitor mixers for the musicians and a couple of inexpensive Alto TX8 powered speakers for floor monitors for the front row of singers. This is a full band coming out of one L1 and the sound is the best I've heard in a hotel ballroom.

The L1 system is pretty freakin' amazing. My only complaint would be losing a little high end when you have a low stage and a standing audience.

I'm trying to work my way out of that job. Theologically and politically, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from Pentacostals. Musically, I'm right there with them. In any case, my ears are giving out and I've got to find quieter work.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:09 AM

This is also why I don't use something like a Loudbox Performer or a Jam 400. You just need something with raised tweeters if you want the audience to be able to understand your words when you are singing. This is how I see the Reach. It is great for the size of room where you might be tempted to use a Loudbox or Jam system, but the sound dispersion is far better.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
This is also why I don't use something like a Loudbox Performer or a Jam 400. You just need something with raised tweeters if you want the audience to be able to understand your words when you are singing. This is how I see the Reach. It is great for the size of room where you might be tempted to use a Loudbox or Jam system, but the sound dispersion is far better.
We see it the same way. I know I sound like a broken record on the Reach speaker, but it's a pretty smart audio engineering design. When you look at the frequency response charts, it has the same performance as some of the best flat response cabinets from QSC and others. There appears to be no frequency (mid range) holes like the column array systems or some coaxial 2-way speaker design. And, they manage to get more low end from the system as compared to the Fishman SA design. Moreover, the managed to get the side monitors in the box to increase mid/high frequency coverage up to 250 degrees. This from an $800 (retail price) 30 lb box with a 4 channel digital mixer.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend more than $1,000 on a 2-channel acoustic combo amp made with a heavy $10 class a/b car audio amplifier integrated circuit. Then, you have to figure out how to place it to get the sound out to the audience.

I recognize that not everyone agree with me, but acoustic guitar music and vocals just sound better through a clean, adequately powered, well dispersed, flat response, full frequency PA system regardless of the size.

Granted, some of the compact PA systems, like the Reach, have annoying mixer quirks. But, I think the benefit outweighs the cost.

(Climbing down off my soap box)

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-07-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Much more expensive but it's hard to beat how compact these are.

http://a.co/5njl4Ym
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post

Wow! That's really cool. Obviously expensive, but considering the utility, maybe not outrageous.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post

Maximum load capacity: 28 pounds.

Not enough for a Reach.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Maximum load capacity: 28 pounds.

Not enough for a Reach.
Close enough? :-)

Actually, if you were a busker, this would be a good investment to go with your battery powered FreePlay system. Of course, the stand costs half as much as the speaker itself. But, if you carried that stuff around to make your money, it would might be worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification