The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Default Ready for my first "expensive" guitar

Hi all,
I'm a new member, but a long time reader of the forum. Thanks to you folks I bought a seagull S6 and started playing a year and a half a go at the ripe old age of 50. Its a great inexpensive guitar. I play a lot (a good 2 hours a day) but progress is slow. I like to finger pick, I like to strum and I like to fool around with the blues. I love the sound of the big gibsons. The playability of the taylor 400 and 800 series for finger picking appeals to me...only enough money for one. Not a big fan of the martin sound. Did I say i really like the sound of the gibsons... the sj100 oooooh, or the newer sj200 studio. The j180/185 is also good. But the practical side of me says the taylors are a better "all around" guitar. A little help decision making would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks..
Way more money than talent (or skill)
Dan
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkdan View Post
Hi all,
I'm a new member, but a long time reader of the forum. Thanks to you folks I bought a seagull S6 and started playing a year and a half a go at the ripe old age of 50. Its a great inexpensive guitar. I play a lot (a good 2 hours a day) but progress is slow. I like to finger pick, I like to strum and I like to fool around with the blues. I love the sound of the big gibsons. The playability of the taylor 400 and 800 series for finger picking appeals to me...only enough money for one. Not a big fan of the martin sound. Did I say i really like the sound of the gibsons... the sj100 oooooh, or the newer sj200 studio. The j180/185 is also good. But the practical side of me says the taylors are a better "all around" guitar. A little help decision making would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks..
Dan
Hi Dan -

Welcome to the AGForum! I wouldn't be too hard on yourself -- everybody should have at lest one really good guitar! I'm just happy that ownership isn't based on talent - I'd be way down the list if that were the case!

The best advice I can give is to find a shop with a good selection and play as many of the ones you're interested in as possible. And play a bunch of others as well... It's really the best way to find out. And when you do find that one that really "works" for you, then buy it on the spot. No two guitars I've ever played - even same make / same model - have ever been exactly the same. So, when you find the "one", tell the man it's "sold"!

Here's wishing you all the best -
Will ~
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Guitars are like spouses, the safe choice won't make you unhappy but you'll always long for more. From what you said, I'd think you need to look for a Gibson that really appeals to you on a gut level and commit to it.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Hi all,
I like to finger pick, I like to strum and I like to fool around with the blues. I love the sound of the big gibsons.
IMO most any Taylor will not sound at all like any of the 'the big Gibsons'.........the opposite is also true.

I love the J200, the look, the sound, the bigness .....

I have played a few outstanding J185's ....

But I am very happy with my 'bird

g'luck in your search.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Guest 429

Get a Gibson then.

Do not be be swayed by the "idea" of other guitars but by the reality of an instrument in your hands that YOU love.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Strong agreement with the other contributors! I'm a Taylor guy, but only because I have always been drawn to how they feel and sound. If you "lust after" a Gibson, then that's what you should be hunting for. Yes, try a bunch of others, because that's part of the fun, but if a big Gibson speaks to you, buy it. If the price tag kaput of reach right now, better to wait a little bit for exactly what you want, or you'll spend less now and then always regret until you spend more later. Have fun in the process, though!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I like to finger pick, I like to strum and I like to fool around with the blues. I love the sound of the big gibsons.
Gibson J-45.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 AM

If you have the budget to consider an 800 series Taylor, I'd say consider other builders as well.

Not sure what you're exact range is, but you might be able to find a used Collings, Kopp, Santa Cruz, etc. Collings builds numerous Gibson inspired models. If you like the Gibson tone, you really should look into Kopp guitars.

It sounds like you're balancing two desirable features - the playability of a Taylor and the tone of a Gibson. Keep shopping. If you're spending a chunk of change on a nice axe, you might as well make sure you get something that sounds great to your ears, and feels great in your hands. You shouldn't have to compromise!

Good hunting!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Gibson J-45.
I love mine.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 AM

Jeez, couldnt get two different spectrums of guitar tone, Taylor and Gibson.

My suggeston would be go for tone first above all else, its what really counts. Playability can be adjusted through a good set up.

In other words, get the Gibson, tone like nothing else.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks..
Dan
Hi Dan,

It's great that you've told us a bit about yourself -- gives us more ideas for recommendations.

The Gibsons that you describe have maple back and sides. I won't go into superlatives but you should do some research and perhaps ask a friend to play the guitars for you. I love maple guitars but personally, I don't think they make good all rounders.

A more popular and versatile Gibson would be a J45 or a Hummingbird -- both mahogany back and sides. A good J45 sounds terrific -- and it is Gibson's most popular model, the sound you've heard on a number of classic records. It's also one of their lowest priced models.

Taylors come in a bunch of different flavours. The 800 series, and more specifically the 814, is probably their classic -- rosewood back and sides, exquisite appointments, flawless fit and finish.

If you want perfection, go with Taylor. If you want vintage vibe, go with Gibson. Either way you can't go wrong.

Although I don't own one right now, I'm a big fan of the J45. That's a true all rounder that shines acoustically, strummed or fingerpicked -- not to mention that it has been a classic for several decades now.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 AM

Chase the dream you have, Dan... The 'safe choice' is how you end up in a scenario of reoccurring GAS. Get yourself out & about to try a few and follow your heart & gut instinct. If you end up preferring the Taylor sound after some trials, or the Gibson sound you'll then have a clearer idea and while the options are vast now, the best way to make the best choice is to refine the choices based on your own opinions.

Any poster here can wax lyrical on the virtues of one of the other (typically a model they have themselves) on a choice that's so personal these things are best resolved by listening to your own mind.

If you haven't played many of either, you may be drawn to Taylor's market reputation and Gibson's looks, only you know this. Typically you'll see on here a lot of "inconsistent", "only if it's a good one" etc leveled at Gibson's. While this is definitely true for Gibson guitars manufactured between the late 60's and late 80's, it's somewhat less applicable to Montana era Gibson's, they are more consistent and definitely better regarded than anything from the Norlin era. Every company is capable of putting out the odd model where the parts just don't click together to equal a "great" guitar.

A fine Gibson is as good as any guitar out there, don't let people direct you differently, a reminder is that Gibson sell everything they make each year, and some reputable dealers are on waiting lists for months at a time for restocking, this speaks for itself.

Maple/Mahogany/rosewood they can all be great all-rounders too, sure some give a more shimmering strum, some capture old blues better, some punch through and stand out, again only your ears can tell you which you prefer. Take 'expert' opinions from here with a pinch of salt, they come for free and you should remember that when the strongest of cases are being put forward for/against anything.

Best of luck with your choice.
regards
Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Guest 429

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennylux View Post

A fine Gibson is as good as any guitar out there, don't let people direct you differently, a reminder is that Gibson sell everything they make each year, and some reputable dealers are on waiting lists for months at a time for restocking, this speaks for itself.

Maple/Mahogany/rosewood they can all be great all-rounders too, sure some give a more shimmering strum, some capture old blues better, some punch through and stand out, again only your ears can tell you which you prefer. Take 'expert' opinions from here with a pinch of salt, they come for free and you should remember that when the strongest of cases are being put forward for/against anything.

Best of luck with your choice.
regards
Great post!

I knew this guy who dismissed Gibson guitars outright (forum decorum does not allow the profanities he leveled at Gibson routinely) who was "Martin all the way." But how did I realize he was essentially a poser? Because he also said he "hated the sound of dreads?" Because the only Martin he actually owned (in self-contradiction) was a D-15? No, but a good start though. It was because unlike a true Martin lover who is completely honest he could never bring himself to say that it's not that easy to find a "special" D-18 or D-35 or even a "special" 00-15...and that there were a more than a few duds out there and even guitars with issues...they were ALL simply "amazing" to him...all of them...and of course "that one will open up in about 5 years."

The "all-rounder" BTW is YOU plus whatever guitar YOU connect with...not the "idea" of any guitar.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Dan, not sure why you feel that taylors are better all-rounders. the j45 is called "the workhorse" for a reason. besides, i've fingerpicked and strummed, soft and loud, on gibsons, and was always very happy with how they sound - particularly the sj200 and the j45.

the bottom line - get a guitar you love and you'll love playing it.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Guest 429

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Dan, not sure why you feel that taylors are better all-rounders. the j45 is called "the workhorse" for a reason. besides, i've fingerpicked and strummed, soft and loud, on gibsons, and was always very happy with how they sound - particularly the sj200 and the j45.

the bottom line - get a guitar you love and you'll love playing it.
Stay away from open mics for awhile. Maybe a lot of Taylors "all around."
and Takamines...

Also: do NOT be swayed (vs. informed) by guitar store staff for ANYTHING. You do not need hype or caffeine-inspired conversations. Even if you go with a "trusted guitar player friend" bring YOURSELF first...and bring your own tuner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
decisions, gear, gibson, taylor