The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-25-2018, 01:35 AM

Default Tabs for different 4 string instruments

I know that the tabs written for tenor ukulele work well for the baritone ukulele and vice versa. Only difference is you will be playing in a different key. Since I am contemplating buying a tenor guitar I am wondering about using the same tabs to play from. How does that work out? If I follow the same tabs, uke tabs, on the guitar will all sound correct or will I have to rewrite music, change keys, etc. Please let me know the pros and cons of this subject. Thank you, Johnny

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 02-25-2018, 02:52 AM

There are several factors to consider in answering your question. How is your tenor ukulele tuned? The most common tuning for that scale would be gcea, with most folks using a high g (reentrant tuning), where the g string is tuned one octave up giving you the "my dog has fleas" sound. Some folks use a low g string (linear tuning), where g is the lowest sounding string and you proceed low to high g-c-e-a. Both tunings would give a C-tuned instrument. Tab for this would vary, therefore, if any notes fell on the g string. You would need to write the tab specifically for high or low g, since you would have to adjust for the octave difference or the tune would sound wrong. Sometimes a tune may skip the g string entirely and then the tab would obviously work for both..

Now moving to the baritone uke, the most frequent tuning is dgbe, using a low d string (linear tuning). Some folks swap out the low d for a high d, in order to get a more "ukey" sound even on the baritone putting it in reentrant tuning but this is less common. Either way, you are in G-tuning.

So, when you say you can use the same tab (or even chord shapes for that matter) for both instruments, that is true IF both are tuned linearly or if the song doesn't require the use of the lowest string. You will NOT however be playing in the SAME key. The same tab fingerings on the tenor for a song, say in the key of C, will play out fine on the baritone, but will be in the key of G. Just like when you play a C chord on the tenor the shape is 0003 but that same shape on the baritone is a G chord.

Anyway, on the tenor guitar, cgda (fifths tuning) is the standard and most common tuning for this instrument and tab for this tuning would not be interchangeable at all with ukulele tab. Some folks, however, tune their tenor guitars linear dgbe "Chicago" tuning, which then would work in the same way that the baritone uke would work. Your c-tuned uke tab (if it were written low g or didn't involve the g string) would sound ok played on the tenor guitar in the dgbe tuning but, again, it would be in a different key (G).

So, long story short, some tab for uke could be played on tenor guitar IF you use the less common dgbe tuning on the tenor guitar but you will NOT be playing in the same key. Which is fine if you are playing on your own. In a group, however, you will be playing in the wrong key.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:47 AM

Thank you very much. That was very informative. I see now if I get a tenor guitar that I will be better off at first to tune it to D G B E, same as my classical guitar, and my baritone ukulele. Later on maybe I will try the other strings. I like ukulele since I started a few months ago, however, I am not a big fan of the ukulele sound that one gets from the two smallest ones. Tenor ukulele might be alright. I just not have opportunity to try one out yet.

I love guitar, especially 6 string and up until I started searching for something I could play with a sore hand/thumb I had always thought a ukulele was a kids toy and I had never heard of a tenor guitar. Today I like my baritone the best and love the sound of the tenor guitar. I think as long as I keep getting treatment for my thumb I will be able to play 4 strings.

Again thank you, Johnny

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 PM

Johnny, I think you will find that you enjoy the tenor guitar in dgbe tuning. To my ears, it's less tinny sounding and doesn't have the very high string tension on the uppermost string. Plus, no new chord shapes to learn.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 AM

I agree. I like D G B E. However, I am thinking about using strings 2, 3, 4, and 5 from a six string set and tuning D G B E.

Does that sound good or bad? I like mellow sounds and songs.

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments