The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-25-2017, 06:09 PM

Some folk's driving manners are insanely poor. Just recently I encountered such behavior that nearly drove me to act out very uncharacteristically myself.

I'm pulling out of a retail block attempting to make a right turn. Oncoming traffic is very heavy and is waiting their turn to go straight through a light. I have but one block to "get over" to the far left lane because I don't want to be forced to turn right at the light. I wait patiently for someone to let me in but nobody is doing it (so all of these drivers are super courteous to begin with right?).

A guy and his wife or girlfriend pull up behind me and get impatient with my patience and begin to lay on their horn. As annoying as that is I keep my cool but then the guy literally climbs with his truck over the entrance/exit median on my left. Then the chick in the passenger seat looks at me and gives me a giant bird! I mean, what the heck?? Not only this, but they are stuck now at someone's mercy to let them in and meanwhile further defeating my chances!

What I don't understand is how these people feel so comfortable with their behavior. I live in America and they have no clue how I might be capable of defending myself. I always think people who act crazy must truly be because they obviously don't pause to think about the consequence of their actions. Not everybody is as responsible at defending themselves as I am. Just sayin'.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
What I don't understand is how these people feel so comfortable with their behavior. I live in America and they have no clue how I might be capable of defending myself. I always think people who act crazy must truly be because they obviously don't pause to think about the consequence of their actions. Not everybody is as responsible at defending themselves as I am. Just sayin'.
And of course that wouldn't be "defending yourself" anyway in that situation (someone cutting you off, flipping you off); it would be murder.

Meanwhile, in Russia...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-old-girl.html

This brings road rage into perspective for me.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Default ROAD RAGE! How Do You Deal w/ Idiots?

What I did in part to deal with road rage and idiots in general is to move to a very, very rural area. There are still bad drivers, still idiots of all varieties, but because of the very low population density there is simply fewer and they're generally going a little slower on the back bumpy roads. Plus because of the few number of people there's a fair chance that the other guy (it's always the other guy, never me who is the problem) would turn out to be a person you know so you don't want to get into a feud with a "neighbor" down the road
Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 PM

Come to Wisconsin. We have our share of idiots and a lot of them are drunk. We're cracking down, your fourth DUI is now a felony.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 PM

OP here. Here are some thoughts after reading your responses, which I thank you all for.

Living in the DC metro area where traffic is just nuts does not help. Add to that the diversity of people. Add to that the fact that I have been driving for around 20 years accident free, thank God. I think this has made me a bit dillusional. I am always very careful when I drive. Always turning my head to check my blind spots before switching lanes, giving plenty of distance, no tailgating, driving defensively, developing almost a 6th sense as to predicting what a driver might do, etc. This may have put me out of touch with the reality. Meaning, I think I am invincible behind the wheel and it dehumanizes me. If I almost bump into someone in person, I apologize immediately. Most people act like that in person. But when behind a 3k to 5k lbs of machinery, we start acting differently. I lay down on the horn if someone almost bumps into me with their car. The reaction is different. There is lack of forgiveness and understanding. Another factor that contributes to my negative reaction to horrible drivers (tailgators, red light runners, lane cutters, etc) is that I have never been in a fight EVER in my life. So I am dillusional there too, thinking no one will ever come after me. I am never going to get hurt. All these moving parts contribute to me flipping the switch on and just going into full rage mode by: laying on the horn, using high beams, flipping them off, cutting them off, etc. I turn into the idiot. I don't do it as often anymore. The discussion in another thread helped me calm down and reduce these negative responses. It's not personal. It is not worth it. Move along. Ignore them. Focus on more important things in life.

Now, can we talk about why we have stupid drivers? The tailgators, the twitchy lane switchers, the slow drivers in the passing or fast lanes, etc. I think this is a failure of the system. I took driver's ed in high school. Had to go to driving school. Many who came as adults from a diff country never went thru all this. Could this be the reason? Then again, not all stupid drivers were of foreign country. Even just 10 years ago, people were so courteous on the road. This region has people coming in from so many different parts of the country. Maybe that is the problem.

At any rate, I cannot stop anyone from doing something stupid. I need to breathe and move on when I see something stupid.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
...We have our share of idiots and a lot of them are drunk. We're cracking down, your fourth DUI is now a felony.
Your fourth???

As my Semitic ex-neighbors used to say, "you should live so long"...
Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Ironic that just after reading and posting in this thread yesterday, this happens to me this morning (from my dash cam):

No, I didn't give him the finger.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:52 AM

My dad used to chuckle and say, "There's no worse driver than a redneck in a hurry."

Then we would simply keep driving.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Living in the DC metro area where traffic is just nuts does not help.
I don't have problems with road rage, but I'll tell you what, if I lived where you do, I'd probably develop it. You are in a judgement-free zone with me.

I commend you on reaching out to get some help...even if it's just us here on AGF.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Do what all of us do. Flip him the bird, call him a name, and complain to your wife about how some people shouldn't be allowed to drive. Then just keep on driving.
That's about all you can do. The 'idiots' here in Massachusetts do not believe in giving an inch.
My commute every morning has a 2-lane to 1-lane merge on the highway on-ramp - jersey barriers both sides, no breakdown lane area. The 2 lanes part is at a light so that traffic doesn't stack up back to the previous intersection. Last week, I was in the right lane, and started to tuck in behind the left-laner in front of me when the truck BEHIND me (but in the left lane) accelerates wildly to come up beside me - if I hadn't braked hard, I would have been forced to hit him or the concrete. I hit the horn, and got the finger in return (which I returned - after all this is Massachusetts). Once up on the highway, I accelerated, changed lanes and was past his barely-chugging up to highway speed truck in less than 100 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Can't be the first time you've encountered today's "I'm entitled" attitude?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 AM

I wrote on my Facebook page after going to SLC UT this weekend: A word bout driving on the Interstate...
I always wondering how you could have an accident in the interstate...I mean it's a straight..line
Driving to SLC this weekend opened my eyes to a bunch of problems...
1. DON'T PASS ON THE RIGHT.....you are passing in the slow lane....this is a problem because if you are passing on the right...and I just noticed someone on my tail that wants to go faster then 80mph...I move over to the right(slow lane)..and if I didn't noticed your in the slow lane going faster then me...BOOM I hit you and your at fault...your passing on in the right in the slow lane...

2. If your pulling something and are doing less then the legal speed limit... Don't pull into the left lane(fast lane) doing 60 miles and hour when the legal limit is 80mph...even if you are using your blinker at the last min...I'm going to hit you...Your Blinker doesn't give you a pass...

3. Truckers...Sorry you can't do 80mph on the cars can... But don't hold up traffic just so you can pass in the FAST lane at a turtles pace...

4. If you want someone to move to the slow lane so you can pass them.. You move up close to them..(3-5 car lengths..) this tells us you want to pass(or flash lights..but this is irritating) .. If I move over to the slow lane even if I'm doing the legal speed limit..I'm being a nice guy..because I am doing the speed limit... And you don't pass...you even lose ground or get behind me... and this happens several time... I won't be moving over again..

5. If I'm doing the legal speed limit(80) and I'm passing a long line of camp trailers and Semi's Don't expect me to slow down to move into the slow lane just so you can go above the legal limit...

It's no wonder there are accidents on an Interstate.....Common Sense isn't so common anymore...

Last edited by Mr Fixit eh; 07-26-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Rule #1 and language
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I always wondering how you could have an accident in the interstate...I mean it's a straight..line
It's no wonder there are accidents on an Interstate.....Common Sense isn't so common anymore...
It's always exciting when these guys go by.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 AM

Having made my living doing a lot of travel by car, I can't even count the number of incidents I have experienced with crazy drivers.
One of my fondest memories was this guy weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds on a four lane like he was a Nascar driver.
I was one those who he "cut in front of" with less than a foot to spare.
I just shook my head and continued on.
Soon I merged into the exit lane as I was about to get off and 'lo and behold,
up ahead just off the exit there he sat, pulled over by a State Trooper.
As I exited and rolled slowly by him, I rolled down the passenger window and in my best Philly accent I yelled out to him "Hey, how ya' doin'?"
That was fun.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-26-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post

Meanwhile, in Russia...

Living here in meth country, that would have ended very differently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic