The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 AM

You made a deal, end of story.

Collings dying has absolutely nothing to do with the sale, but you're making it part of the equation and making some major assumptions.

Were I you a call to the buyer, expressing your seller's remorse, and letting them make the final decision to keep the guitar and get their money back is fair, otherwise honor the deal.

If they agree to return the guitar I personally would eat the shipping costs for the inconvenience you caused.

If they say they want to keep the guitar, that was the deal, move on......

Best of luck finding work !~!~!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:01 AM

If that's the guitar you bought for $2300 in Feb. 2017 I dont think you will find that deal again. I can't help but wonder what you got for it.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-17-2017, 08:03 AM

Im gonna ship the guitar. But i do know in my heart that if i would of known of his passing i would have pulled it down. This is not your run of the mill collings. I wont find another one like it. And i thought of it as a tribute to my favorite players.

Sunburst herringbone with the cw/tony rice pickguard. I called it br for blake and rice because it had the sunburst of normans guitar with the 14 fret herringbone and pickguard of tonys. Ill do the right thing
Old 07-17-2017, 08:03 AM

I was given a Les Paul once. I was forced to sell it. An acquaintance felt bad enough for me that they gave me the money to buy the guitar back.

I got into another bad jam and was forced to sell the guitar again.

I have no delusions about ever being able to freely afford a guitar at that price point ever again. I'm not saying I will never be able to, I'm just saying I have no idea whether I will be.

My point is that if you were going to be worried about affording a Collings, you should have kept the one you just sold.

Selling a guitar (or anything else) has GOT to be something you're willing to live with - it's got to be a sacrifice you're willing to make permanently.

I've had two close calls with death in my family over the last two months. I had already been in a bad financial jam and had sold almost every piece of gear I owned. The latest calamities have brought me right to the edge of another hard decision - to possibly sell the only really playable/gig-worthy guitar I have left.

If I were to decide to do that (and I'm only talking about a $250 sale at most), it would have to be the only practical choice for me.

If you really thought there was another way to get over your economic hurdle, you would have done that.

If, however, you sold a beloved, expensive instrument at least in part because you enjoy the suffering-martyr feelings that go along with such a decision, then you're only sabotaging yourself.

Ask yourself whether you really could have done it another way - and if yes, then give the money back and take your lumps when you issue the refund.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM

Until recently I owned a 2011 Collings D2HA and a 2014 Collings D2HA. The only difference was the 2011 had a 1 11/16" nut and the other a 1 3/4" nut.

I decided to stay with 1 11/16" nuts on all of my guitars and sold my 2014 w/ 1 3/4" via my local CL.

Welp... the day the guy came to pick up my guitar I mistakenly grabbed the 2011, not the 2014! And that's what he took home with him.

About a week later I realized my error and called him up to tell him what had happened. However, I was VERY clear that this was MY error, not his, and that he OWNED that guitar. Then I offered to swap for the one he thought he was buying.

The guy said he thought it felt "different" than what he'd remembered when trying it out and he was happy to swap. So everyone ended up happy because everyone was honest.

I think you made a deal. But if you feel you really want the guitar, be honest with him. If he still wants it, send it to him. The thing about Collings guitars is they are ALL great! You'll always be able to find another.

As for the current day situation with Bill's passing (RIP), I'm sure his handpicked luthiers will continue building a great product to Bill's specifications/standards. I don't expect to see a Fender "Pre CBS" value phenomena for the simple reason that Collings will continue building beautiful instruments whereas Fender lowered the quality when CBS took over.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 AM

I wouldn't worry about the Collings prices going up. Everything is suppose to go up over time. You have a legitimate concern about never being able to afford another one. That's something you can control and do something about.

Don't let Bill Collings death affect your decision.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
If I buy something and it is described, then I'm keeping it even if I figure out it's not right for me. It's not the seller's fault that I either didn't research the product enough to know if it'd work for or I couldn't adapt to it.
Let me preface this by saying I am not trying to be inflammatory or a jerk; I am actually curious where the line is drawn...

Does your my word is my bond attitude only apply to instruments, or everything you purchase? What about the extra can of primer that you don't need? And the shoes that are just a little too tight and you, of course, haven't wore them out of the house the two since you purchased them? Or the work gloves you thought you needed until your wife reminded you that yours are in the back of her car where you left them last month? Do these things never get returned to the store? Do your strict dictums of honor apply only to guitars and not to relatively inexpensive every day items?

As a buyer, would you really tell the OP to ship the guitar because "A deal is a deal!"? Or would you realize that this guy wants to keep the Collings he is fond of and another guitar, with which you have no established relationship, can easily be found?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Your examples do not prove your point because the shop has a no questions asked return policy. Unless the seller and buyer of the guitar agreed such a policy - and i.have never seen this before - the guitar cantbe returned unless the buyer agrees to cancel the whole deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am not trying to be inflammatory or a jerk; I am actually curious where the line is drawn...

Does your my word is my bond attitude only apply to instruments, or everything you purchase? What about the extra can of primer that you don't need? And the shoes that are just a little too tight and you, of course, haven't wore them out of the house the two since you purchased them? Or the work gloves you thought you needed until your wife reminded you that yours are in the back of her car where you left them last month? Do these things never get returned to the store? Do your strict dictums of honor apply only to guitars and not to relatively inexpensive every day items?

As a buyer, would you really tell the OP to ship the guitar because "A deal is a deal!"? Or would you realize that this guy wants to keep the Collings he is fond of and another guitar, with which you have no established relationship, can easily be found?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

drewgrass,
Get in touch with the buyer. He may surprise you and tell you to refund his money. With Bill's passing, the situation has changed. Your guitar means more to you now than it did, which is understandable.
ZI
Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I don't agree with this idea. Even ebay allows 30 days for a seller to cancel a sale and refund the money. You have the choice and you don't need to feel guilty about it. Even if you did the obviously less savory thing and profited by selling it at a higher price, it's still a choice. Think about your motivation for selling, how much stress this is causing you now, and how you will feel about this in the long run, then act accordingly.
Yoi would be only correct if the sale is made expressly under suxh no queations asked terms and conditions. Otherwise its a binding contract.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Fender seem to be doing ok, and Leo is long dead.
Gibson? Martin?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 AM

You made an agreement and should keep it. Simple as that.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Yoi would be only correct if the sale is made expressly under suxh no queations asked terms and conditions. Otherwise its a binding contract.
What online seller does not have provisions for cancellations, refunds, etc.? What state or country does not allow such provisions? If this were true in this case, the OP wouldn't ask the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgrass View Post
Im gonna ship the guitar. But i do know in my heart that if i would of known of his passing i would have pulled it down. This is not your run of the mill collings. I wont find another one like it. And i thought of it as a tribute to my favorite players.

Sunburst herringbone with the cw/tony rice pickguard. I called it br for blake and rice because it had the sunburst of normans guitar with the 14 fret herringbone and pickguard of tonys. Ill do the right thing
If you really feel that way, then I hope you make peace with it. I really don't think this is a matter of morality, though, and it would be fine if you chose differently. Either way, all the best with dealing with your other issues.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Your examples do not prove your point because the shop has a no questions asked return policy. Unless the seller and buyer of the guitar agreed such a policy - and i.have never seen this before - the guitar cantbe returned unless the buyer agrees to cancel the whole deal.
Not so.
Mick said: If I buy something and it is described, then I'm keeping it even if I figure out it's not right for me. It's not the seller's fault that I either didn't research the product enough to know if it'd work for or I couldn't adapt to it.

That implies everything he purchases is his. There was no mention of a predetermined return policy. The buyer takes sole responsibility for the purchase decision and the seller assumes no fault provided the product is as described. I am assuming he used that example to prove that he honors his end as the buyer and expects the seller to do the same. I asked if that honor bound agreement extends to everything he purchases.

We have no idea if Drew's agreement included an approval period, and if it did, I doubt that it included a seller's remorse clause. But, I do think that asking the buyer to let him out of the deal is perfectly acceptable. I would let him out in the beat of a heart. The last thing I want is to buy a guitar that another sold under duress.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

We are all human and subject to the whims of buyers' and sellers' remorse. I think it was an episode of NYPD Blue in which an Internal Affairs officer told an undercover officer that everything is a situation. The undercover cop couldn't divulge his role which had put him in IA's crosshairs. I just don't think that everything is cut and dry; but do believe that everything is a situation which may involve some backing and forthing....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion