The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2017, 04:16 AM

Default Jbl eon one

Picked one of these systems up over the weekend for €600, excellent system, lacks volume when going direct in with a mic though so a mixer is a must, I'm using a beringer xr12 digital mixer with it and audix om7 mics, any tips on eq-ing vocals? Anyone else using this set up that can offer any info?? Thanks in advance
Old 07-03-2017, 05:49 AM

I almost posted a question about the Eon One in this forum yesterday. I have been doing a ton of research and just ordered one. I have read that some folks turn the channel to the mic setting to get more volume for the line inputs.

I'll use the JBL for my kid's 4 piece bluegrass band and potentially for me and my 2 buds (2 x guitar and 1 mandolin). I'll need to get a mixer, but I am excited about the sound based on the demo I heard in person. How do you like the beringer mixer?

Eric
Old 07-03-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisdad View Post
I almost posted a question about the Eon One in this forum yesterday. I have been doing a ton of research and just ordered one. I have read that some folks turn the channel to the mic setting to get more volume for the line inputs.

I'll use the JBL for my kid's 4 piece bluegrass band and potentially for me and my 2 buds (2 x guitar and 1 mandolin). I'll need to get a mixer, but I am excited about the sound based on the demo I heard in person. How do you like the beringer mixer?

Eric
It's a really great mixer when you get used to it, there's a bit of a learning curve with it but once you get to grips with it you won't beat it at that price range, I've only just started using it with the jbl system which is why I'm looking for advice on how to eq it but I've got no doubts that I'll get a really good sound with a little time
Old 07-03-2017, 06:29 AM

There's no "default" EQ setting other than "flat". From there you proceed according to actual need remembering "less is more". The likely variations will be situational to deal with any feedback problems resulting from setup restrictions of various venues/stages.

Have fun, good luck.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
There's no "default" EQ setting other than "flat". From there you proceed according to actual need remembering "less is more". The likely variations will be situational to deal with any feedback problems resulting from setup restrictions of various venues/stages.

Have fun, good luck.
I've been messing around with it all morning and ive found that a slight boost in the bottom end and a slight cut in the mids seems to work quite well, it takes the 'boxy' sound out and sounds quite warm, I don't think it'll need anything else to my ear anyway!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 AM

Having used the JBL One, it's important to understand that the built in mixer has two default (fixed) gain settings and a fader. Most mixing desks will provide a gain trim (preamp) and a fader. The mic preamp boost switch is +30 dB. With the switch out, it is 0 dB. This is consistent with what Mackie is doing for their compact PA systems, to protect the systems from user overload, although I disagree.

What I find is that, in practice, 30 dB is usually enough gain for a professional quality dynamic mic. However, most pickup systems need at least 6dB, which is unavailable when the system is in line mode. So, what I do when plugging directly in, is to use the mic gain switch for instruments too. But, then I turn the volume down on the guitar and the JBL channel to keep from clipping. This works.

The other option is use the Stereo line input on channel 3/4 for an outboard mixer. If you get a pair of balanced cables from your mixer (XLR or TRS) to the TRS input on the mixer, you'll activate a 6 dB boost. Turn Channel 3/4 up to the max volume on the JBL and leave it there. Then, have the preamps on the mixer channels trimmed to boost the instruments and mics. I find this produces excellent sound.

I considered selling mine because it was too much for the small places I play, but decided to keep it because it's a good bargain for future use.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:38 PM

I've tried your suggestion of using the stereo channel on the jbl along with the mixer, used the channel gain/trim on the mixer to draw in the max amount of signal and it's working really, really well, I've just set it up at home so am getting some feedback at higher volumes but I have the speaker facing me while I test it so that's to be expected, I'll see if I can cut the problem frequencies with the graphic eq but so far I'm having fun messing around with it and having some success, thanks for the advice 👍
Old 07-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

For those of you who have used the Eon, would it have enough 'oomph' for a duo using backing tracks and doing mostly oldies rock and country? We get a little rowdy with the country rock stuff like Kentucky Headhunters and Brooks & Dunn and of, of course some Chuck Berry and Elvis things. We're using a Yamaha mixer into a 1000 watt power amp then into a pair of big JBL monitors as our mains. We don't have big crowds and don' t need to be super loud but some of our commercial tracks can get pretty intense instrument-wise and we need a system that can deal with them.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
For those of you who have used the Eon, would it have enough 'oomph' for a duo using backing tracks and doing mostly oldies rock and country? We get a little rowdy with the country rock stuff like Kentucky Headhunters and Brooks & Dunn and of, of course some Chuck Berry and Elvis things. We're using a Yamaha mixer into a 1000 watt power amp then into a pair of big JBL monitors as our mains. We don't have big crowds and don' t need to be super loud but some of our commercial tracks can get pretty intense instrument-wise and we need a system that can deal with them.

Yes it should hold up well. Depends on how loud you need to be.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I have one and I think the answer is no. The system isn’t easy to overwhelm with 2 vocals and a guitar. Using the same settings my Bose L1M2 does not and sounds better.

On the other hand, the Eon sounds good and gets loud when playing music on my iPad via the built in Bluetooth.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 PM

Another consideration is that the power is rated at 380 watts RMS. So, it won't compete with a 1000 watt RMS power amp. On the other hand, we have a member who uses two Eon Ones for his larger show with success.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
On the other hand, we have a member who uses two Eon Ones for his larger show with success.
I am one of those people who uses two Eon Ones. I've been pretty impressed with what they can do. I almost never use the built in mixer. I run my guitar, vocals and Porchboard (a low end rhythm instrument) into a QSC TouchMix 8 and then out to either one or two Eon Ones depending on the venue.

I mostly like them! I went on kind of a weird journey to arrive at two Eon Ones. I toured with nothing but Bose L1 systems for over a decade. I finally couldn't take the "you hear what the audience hears" approach anymore and sold my L1 Compact and my Model 2 (2 B1s and T1) and bought a QSC system. I liked being back to a mains/monitors system but missed the "surround-sound" of the Bose and hated the speaker stands and endless cables. So I sold the QSC stuff and went with the Eon Ones.

To me the Eon One is sort of a hybrid. You get some of the surroundy-ness of the Bose with more of a conventional speaker sound. There isn't anything on the market that sets up as fast and you get a sub.

The downside is the size and bulk of carrying around two of these. We are in the process of selling our house and moving and might be on the road for most of the rest of the summer. I'm wondering now if I might be better served going back to a Bose but not putting it behind me and using a little spot monitor like I do with the Eon Ones.

I never got to directly compare the L1 Model 2 to the Eon One. I really want to do that but I can't find anyone locally that has the Bose.

Either way, I was able to do cover all of my venues last summer with either one or two Eon Ones and folks that have heard me through all of my systems spoke very favorably about the JBLs.

My biggest concern size-wise is a concert in the park I play every year in Door County, WI.

Here is the park as it is starting to fill up from way in the back. You can kind of make out the towers down toward the water:

I'm now standing back down by my sound system looking back up at half of the park:

And the two JBLs covered this easily so that's good. I'm not sure if any of that helps at all for a duo with tracks considering the Eon One but it/they have worked well for me.

Matt
Old 07-04-2017, 06:18 AM

That's quite a distance to cover! If the jbls can cover that area, that's impressive!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audix View Post
That's quite a distance to cover! If the jbls can cover that area, that's impressive!
I was pleasantly surprised! This is the biggest area I need to cover with my own equipment so I knew that if the Eon Ones could fill this, it/they would work for me everywhere I play where I am expected to bring my own sound.

There are so many compromises and trade offs when it comes to music gear and PA equipment! While I am able to cover big areas with what I think is a pleasing sound and they set up and tear down in seconds (literally!) they are big and bulky!

Here is the back of my van completely loaded:

The photo is not the best so I apologize for that. You can (maybe) see that the pile of gear goes right up to the top of the back seats. This means my guitar and ukulele have to go on the way back seat and as we ponder a month plus camping and living out of our cars, that's valuable van space!

An L1 Model 2 would take up half of that room. Trade offs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
. Using the same settings my Bose L1M2 does not and sounds better.
DavidE, I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on how your L1M2 compares to the Eon One, sonically, coverage and disbursement-wise, etc. if you are willing.

I'm not sure I'd go back. There are some serious advantages to the dual Eon One set up, the biggest being that I already own them!

Matt
Old 07-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Yes I'm a firm believer in bringing as little gear as possible to gigs to minimise set up times and problems but sometimes there's no way around it, I would have loved to be able to use the built in mixer but it just doesn't draw enough vocal signal in so an outboard mixer is essential, the sound quality is very good though

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification