The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Humanist

Default For the road dogs; cyclists and road-ragers ...

Headed east on Camas Swale, on the way home (10 miles left on a 30 miler), with the road all curves and double yellow stripes, the logging truck coming up behind was professional and courteous…he/she didn’t try to pass illegally, and I was right on (or to the right of) the white line, with about 18 inches of shoulder available. Not much shoulder there to cling to, but the "rules of the road" don't protect against road rage incidents, and I wanted to return home safely to my family after my daily bike ride.

Then, as I'm pushing 22mph, with the final turn and a clear, straight path for a mile or so headed into Creswell, the logging truck passed me safely. I was sure there would be following cars, so I stayed as far to the right as I could, again, right on, or to the right of the white line. Now it's more like 25-26mph, with a slight downhill and a bit of a tailwind.

The first pick-up truck came by with obscene gestures and yelling to match, swerving right up to the white line as they went past me. The second pick-up truck followed suit, with similar gestures and shouted obscenities, but then as they came alongside, they paced me, and pulled well over the white line, onto the narrow shoulder, physically forcing me off the pavement and onto the grass, and nearly sending me into the ditch…using their vehicle as a weapon…intentional, and potentially deadly.

Only my former life as a gymnast (and thousands of bicycle miles on the road) saved me from taking an unwanted and dangerous tumble. I was able to stay upright as I sighted ahead and managed to get the license plate of the second pick-up…a grey small-body pick-up truck with light blue “Toyota” lettering on the tailgate.

I’ve been assured that the Lane County Sheriff’s department will be knocking on your door.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Wow. Just wow. Incredible disregard for your fellow man.
Some people show you who they are without hesitation or thought.

I hope he's home when they come a knockin.

Glad you're safe Larry.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 07-27-2017, 08:38 PM
G625 mistral-k

Larry,

Sorry to read about your experience. Glad to read you are okay. A helmet cam would be a nice piece of evidence to enter into court which would hopefully allow them some thinking time and three good meals a day provided courtesy of Lane County.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:41 PM

Good grief!

Despicable behaviour, hopefully you were not seriously injured.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Sorry to hear this Larry, hope you r OK and not too shaken to get straight back in the saddle.

I never go near anything like an open road on my bike anymore,
I still weave here and there in the slow city traffic, but mostly stick to paths and x park routes wherever possible.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
I hope he's home when they come a knockin.
Sir, you can finish your dinner downtown.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Oh my... so glad you're safe and sound. I've had similar incidents while biking and jogging... they're not fun. I've called the police several times. It's amazing what people will do...
Old 07-27-2017, 09:15 PM

Wow I really hope you think of investing in a GoPro! What is wrong with people?! Yes I do get annoyed at cyclists when they slow me down, but not to the point I want to force them down a cliff!

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-27-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Edited abbreviation
Old 07-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Glad you're ok, Larry. Yours is a good reminder as to why I don't mix it up in traffic anymore....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Humanist

Thanks to all.

I'm fine...totally fine, and will likely do the same route tomorrow.

Hmmm, a GoPro for my daily-rides...I hadn't really thought about that. Would have been good evidence if this goes to court...and it may.

According to the officer I am working with at the Sheriff's dept. the car is registered to a contractor, so it may have been his/her employee driving. I won't be able to identify anyone, so the company-owner (or passenger) would have to identify/collar the individual in question...whomever it was that was behind the wheel at the time.

The officer has already visited the home of the registered-owner, with no one at home at the time. He says he will be out again tomorrow, and/or over the weekend if necessary.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

A lot of empathy here from too many similar incidents. Glad you're safe, following up, and most of all undeterred. Good man.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
The first pick-up truck came by with obscene gestures and yelling to match, swerving right up to the white line as they went past me. The second pick-up truck followed suit, with similar gestures and shouted obscenities, but then as they came alongside, they paced me, and pulled well over the white line, onto the narrow shoulder, physically forcing me off the pavement...
"No, Your Honor. We just recognized Mr. Pattis and are great fans of his music. We meant no harm, we were just trying to get close enough to get a good picture with our phones, see..." Glad you weren't hurt, Larry. Hope these two drivers are appropriately "encouraged" to share the road!

cotten
Old 07-28-2017, 05:11 AM

Wow!! Shades of "Easy Rider" minus the shotgun. But goes to prove a vehicle can be just as deadly. Glad you came out okay. I have a large group of cycle buddies and hear horror stories like this from time to time. Dont know what goes thru peoples minds these days. Everyone seems to drive angry, cutting folks off, blowing thru stop signs, and then, as if that is not bad enough, get indignant when a horn gets tooted at them for bone head stuff. Lots of it seems intentional which is what really scares me.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

I think I'd avoid that route in the future.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Headed east on Camas Swale, on the way home (10 miles left on a 30 miler), with the road all curves and double yellow stripes, the logging truck coming up behind was professional and courteous…he/she didn’t try to pass illegally, and I was right on (or to the right of) the white line, with about 18 inches of shoulder available. Not much shoulder there to cling to, but the "rules of the road" don't protect against road rage incidents, and I wanted to return home safely to my family after my daily bike ride.

Then, as I'm pushing 22mph, with the final turn and a clear, straight path for a mile or so headed into Creswell, the logging truck passed me safely. I was sure there would be following cars, so I stayed as far to the right as I could, again, right on, or to the right of the white line. Now it's more like 25-26mph, with a slight downhill and a bit of a tailwind.

The first pick-up truck came by with obscene gestures and yelling to match, swerving right up to the white line as they went past me. The second pick-up truck followed suit, with similar gestures and shouted obscenities, but then as they came alongside, they paced me, and pulled well over the white line, onto the narrow shoulder, physically forcing me off the pavement and onto the grass, and nearly sending me into the ditch…using their vehicle as a weapon…intentional, and potentially deadly.

Only my former life as a gymnast (and thousands of bicycle miles on the road) saved me from taking an unwanted and dangerous tumble. I was able to stay upright as I sighted ahead and managed to get the license plate of the second pick-up…a grey small-body pick-up truck with light blue “Toyota” lettering on the tailgate.

I’ve been assured that the Lane County Sheriff’s department will be knocking on your door.
As a fellow avid road-cyclist, I can, unfortunately, relate at an all-to-familiar level. I have been run off the road by a logging truck (apparently those guys aren't concerned with anything but getting back to the barn and drinking some PBR I guess).

I have also been shouted at, had cigarettes thrown at me, and even an occasional beer can from a big-ole-confederate-pickemup-truck. I am continually astonished by the behaviors of the folks and the abject disregard for cyclists as well as motorcyclists and pedestrians. Here in NC, the State Govt is vocal about 'sharing the road', but in reality, if a truck runs me over and kills me, it's just a misdemeanor in the eyes of the law (of course, bsed on the DC mentality of today, 'law' means less and less).

And i have many stories, including dogs that are allowed to chase and bite cyclists as a spectator sport around here, being bumped (yes, bumped) by side-view mirrors as intimidation tactics, and on and on.

After shouting back at a truck once, he stopped, got out, and began walking back toward me (like he's gonna intimidate someone who's furious after being buzzed, hit with a Burger King drink, and almost killed...). I got off my bike and faced him. After a few words, including a reminder that maybe he should read the DOT manual after he finishes the eighth grade, he turned and left.

These days? I carry two water bottles on my Lynskey for any regular ride outside my neighborhood. One has water, tea, gatorade, whatever. The other has full-strength ammonia in it. And, I also carry LE pepper spray in my back pouch.

Guess I'm not as nice as our humanist friend, but after seeing three cycling friends go down in the past 4 months (the last one had brain surgery 3 days ago to relieve intracranial bleeding), I no longer believe in taking any prisoners.

Examples:
1. Friend went down - lady was turning, cut the corner short (texting) and hit him. He's out for at least 5 months.
2. Fellow in a car (accidently) ran a stop sign, nailed my friend. Broken pelvis, sundry other maladies.
3. Avid and expert cyclist, victim of a twenty-something female texting driver performing a U-turn with her legs, steering wheel slipped and she plunged into the bike lane. He will not ride again after his latest round of surgeries, says he's done.
4. And the guy recovering from head trauma...

Sorry for the rant, but if the shoe fits.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic