The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
My Yamaha LL16. It didn't surprise me that it is a good guitar, because I had read really favorable reviews on it. What surprised me is how good it is. And after I had my local guitar genius
(I won't mention his name Jason Burns) do a setup on it, which I at first debated with myself as being unnecessary, it surprised me what a great guitar it is. Absolutely top notch.
Jerry, may I ask, does your LL16 have a bone, plastic or Tusq saddle in? Did you change it as part of the set-up. I have an LL6xA that I love in many ways. However, I find that the bass E and A strings start to sound very muffled and dead after a few hours of play. So I am changing strings A LOT on this guitar - every week when playing 8-10 hours a week. I am wondering if a bone saddle might give a little extra zing / definition to those bass strings....

I do realise that yours LL16 is a grade above mine with solid b/s but even so, thought it might be interesting to know if you had made this mod.

Thanks a lot!
Pete
Old 07-27-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
Jerry, may I ask, does your LL16 have a bone, plastic or Tusq saddle in? Did you change it as part of the set-up. I have an LL6xA that I love in many ways. However, I find that the bass E and A strings start to sound very muffled and dead after a few hours of play. So I am changing strings A LOT on this guitar - every week when playing 8-10 hours a week. I am wondering if a bone saddle might give a little extra zing / definition to those bass strings....

I do realise that yours LL16 is a grade above mine with solid b/s but even so, thought it might be interesting to know if you had made this mod.

Thanks a lot!
Pete
Hi Pete, as you can see I have both a 6 and 16. While they both sound superb the 16 definitely has a more mature and less 'sprightly' tone than the laminated 6. Both have the stock saddles and neither exhibit the anomalies you mention. A bone saddle might help, but have you experimented with different strings-maybe your skin chemistry is killing strings prematurely? I use Elixir Nano 80-20, 12-53 lights which last forever. Might be worth giving them a go.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
My Yamaha LL16. It didn't surprise me that it is a good guitar, because I had read really favorable reviews on it. What surprised me is how good it is. And after I had my local guitar genius
(I won't mention his name Jason Burns) do a setup on it, which I at first debated with myself as being unnecessary, it surprised me what a great guitar it is. Absolutely top notch.
My experience also. This is now my third 16. My first was a pre-A.R.E model followed by the blingy 16D A.R.E and now my 2016 model which continues to make me smile each time it gets played-and it gets played a lot. The only 'upgrade' I made is purely aesthetic-a set of abalone inlaid brass 'Pinz' which look great but haven't altered the tone.
http://www.pinzuk.com/
Old 07-27-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Hi Pete, as you can see I have both a 6 and 16. While they both sound superb the 16 definitely has a more mature and less 'sprightly' tone than the laminated 6. Both have the stock saddles and neither exhibit the anomalies you mention. A bone saddle might help, but have you experimented with different strings-maybe your skin chemistry is killing strings prematurely? I use Elixir Nano 80-20, 12-53 lights which last forever. Might be worth giving them a go.

Thanks for this. Don't think it is skin chemistry as I have the same strings on other guitars without the same rapid loss of 'zing'. Mainly, it must just be the character of that guitar and I can live with it as is, but if I can get a little tweak on it then all the better. Will try some different strings and saddle and see what I can achieve! Will let you know! :-)
Old 07-27-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this. Don't think it is skin chemistry as I have the same strings on other guitars without the same rapid loss of 'zing'. Mainly, it must just be the character of that guitar and I can live with it as is, but if I can get a little tweak on it then all the better. Will try some different strings and saddle and see what I can achieve! Will let you know! :-)
Another thing that occurred to me is saddle seating over the piezo. If it isn't making firm contact in the A/E area it could be the culprit. It's unusual, in my experience, for 'L' series to sound unbalanced, irrespective of their place in the hierarchy. Let me know how you get on.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I bought an Ibanez AVD1-NT, 12 fret, slot head dread. In terms of construction, it's a real piece of junk - sharp fret ends, huge neck hump, daylight visible through the sound hole - but it sounds great. Kinda makes me wonder what they could do if they tried.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
I bought an Ibanez AVD1-NT, 12 fret, slot head dread. In terms of construction, it's a real piece of junk - sharp fret ends, huge neck hump, daylight visible through the sound hole - but it sounds great. Kinda makes me wonder what they could do if they tried.
I must say, I rather fancy one of those having played one and found it to be lively and enjoyable to play - a bit different from the usual fare too.
I am not sure whether your post has made a purchase more or less likely though! :-)

Thanks though!
Pete
Old 07-27-2017, 09:12 AM

My old college roomate bought what we thought was a Larrivee 00 a few years ago. I wasn`t knocked out until we played it against my Martin 00-21. I was astounded and he decided he wanted my Martin so after haggling and some money exchanged I ended up with a used Larrivee LS-09 which I thought was their 00. Great tone but the neck shape is what sealed the deal. Although I lust for a Goodall Pacific Parlor, I don`t know if I would pay 3x the price for my beloved Larrivee.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot!
Pete
It has the original nut, which I believe is plastic. He did, however, recut the nut.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

My 2016 000-18 really surprised me, in a good way.

My 2015 Goodall Mastergrade Redwood over IR, Standard, 25" scale, cutaway with gold frets also tickles and delights many a brain cell.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 AM

Quote:
It has the original nut, which I believe is plastic. He did, however, recut the nut.
Thanks Jerry
Old 07-28-2017, 08:52 AM

Default Sunburnt Alvarez RF8

Saw this compact Alvarez RF8 (folk size) in a pawn shop and it was a mess. Picked it up and even with 5 strings it didn't sound half bad missing the HSC. $80. Got it home, bad bulge under the partial detached bridge. Finish was blistery, top was burnt dark from exposure to the sun for a few years??. Dents in the sides from voids in the center laminate layer?? Neck was OK, serious wear on all the frets?? A previous owner was a shredder for sure!!

Took the bridge off, pickguard off and used a steam iron over a towel to get the top flat again. Sanded off all the urethane on the top carefully. The pickguard revealed the original top color about 4 shades lighter. Sprayed on about 5 coats of Varethane satin cause that's what was handy. Glued the bridge back on and cut out a piece of clear vinyl stick-on sheet in the shape of the pickguard to cover the place where the black one was.

The moment of truth....., AMAZING! Loud, great finger-style, strummed, slide, growly bass. Just the way I like it..

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 AM

I never expected my DX1 to be what is is. It was my first guitar when I didn't know anything about guitars, but it is a killer sounding DX1. I think it helped that my worship pastor helped choose it. He has a HD-28V, and would even say from time to time when I played on Worship team, "I forgot how good that guitar sounds" (with a K&K Western Mini).

There are certainly good examples of HPL and Spruce tops. Can't say I've played another $500 dollar guitar that sounds that good outside maybe the Breedlove Pursuits.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:19 AM

My Eastman E 10 OO
I knew the quality was there what with an Adirondack top and Mahogany back and sides,
What I did not expect was the projection and sustain of this body size.
But wait, there's more...surprisingly nice overtones.
Of all the bodys Eastman makes, I think the OO's might be their best product.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Didn't expect too much from my Epiphone DR500R, but, was surprised that it can hold its own against my other guitars in terms of looks, craftsmanship and tone.
1) Ditto. My two Epi Masterbilt AJ-500Ms are both amazing. I acquired the second one from a guy on CL who had never played it: sat in the case for eight years. This one makes people turn their heads and look at the headstock, and is the only guitar I've ever owned that one could truly call "a cannon."

2) My Eastman E-10SS slope dread adi over hog that I bought off a member here. At about six years of age, it is beginning to really open up. Not a better dreadnought on the market at that price. Incredible company.

memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion