The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Musical minimalist

While it didn't quite stack up to Henrik and Phil's duel a couple years back, it was certainly quite a finish. I was pulling for Kuchar in a big way - nothing against Jordan, but he'll have many more chances. Kuchar has paid his dues and I thought maybe it was his time. I don't think he did ANYTHING wrong, but Jordan just turned on another gear or two and put on a clinic for 5 holes.....

As one of my buddies says (in his best Scottish brogue) "That's golf laddie"

Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 AM

There is some connection between playing in the winds of Texas and thus being forced to work the ball, and major champions.

They play golf in all fifty states of the union. A number of states like Michigan, North Carolina and Florida have more holes per capita than Texas. Yet, if you have to name the state that has produced champions with the most majors....It isn't even close. Texas wins hands down:

Ben Hogan 9
Lee Trevino 7
Bryon Nelson 5
Jimmy Demaret 3
Ralph Guldahl 3
Ben Crenshaw 2
Jack Burke Jr 2
Charles Coody 1
Tom Kite 1
Lloyd Mangrum 1
Justin Leonard 1
Bill Rogers 1
Mark Brooks 1
Dave Marr 1
Don January 1

To that list you can add Jordan Spieth 3. Lot of hall of famers on that list. Coincidence? I don't think so. In fact, Bryon Nelson said pretty much the same thing in his book How I Played The Game. He said that playing in the Texas wind forces a player to learn to work the ball.

Of the two competitors coming down the stretch this past weekend who works the ball better Kuchar or Spieth? Well the proof is in the pudding. The wind ate up a lot of Kuchar's high cuts. He was in several pot bunkers on the right, and missed right several other times trying to judge his high cut in varying winds. Spieth's tight draw spin served him well when it counted the most, on 14 and 15 because that ball flight is least affected by the wind.

Yes, the wind blows in other states and in other countries. That's why Kansas (whose very name means South Wind) produced Tom Watson, one of the finest wind players ever. Same with Johannesburg and Gary Player and Melbourne with Peter Thomson. All great wind players, all three great drawers of the ball, 13 Open Championships between them.

Not coincidence.

Matt Kuchar is a very good player, but he has fewer shots in the bag than Spieth does. The critical one being a draw.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 07-26-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondoraymundo View Post
There is some connection between playing in the winds of Texas and thus being forced to work the ball, and major champions.

In fact, Bryon Nelson said pretty much the same thing in his book How I Played The Game. He said that playing in the Texas wind forces a player to learn to work the ball.
Having played High School golf all along the Texas gulf coast, you do have to learn how to dance with Mariah to be successful there.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic