The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-23-2017, 08:36 PM

I prefer the interweb.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 AM

I think the age of relying on the Internet for news is over. My home page (by default, not by choice) is MSN which has what I call "fluff" pieces of "news" that are basically slide shows intended to keep Millenials clicking but I (at 48) get suckered in too.

This morning a headline drew my attention: "38 Things No Man Over 40 Should Own." Among the list were three things that I feel are EXACTLY what a person of my generation should own: bowling shoes, baseball caps and acoustic guitars for parties.

I mean, really? A man over 40 shouldn't own an acoustic guitar? Who the heck is going to play them then?

The "author" of this piece of "journalism" that was comprised of 39 slides with a paragraph for each is right about one thing: I don't need a Tinder account or a GF born in the Clinton years - or a tattoo less than 5 years old. I guess The Internet is officially over - for me.

But wait - maybe I should start a blog and see if any of these Millennials have the attention span to read more than a paragraph per page? I could use Ad Sense to splash banners for Ritalin all over my page. Maybe I should apply for a patent for a colorful candy coating for it with fancy little "R"s. That should suck them in.

I don't know about you, but which ever putz wrote this article clearly can't read between the lines. How long do they think Star Wars (I mean, it is called the Millennium Falcon, not the Millennial Falcon after all) and Marvel Comics have been around. Odds are there is a 40- or 50- something behind all of this who's laughing all the way to the bank. I'd bet dollars to donuts that person HAS a tatto, sports a "dad" baseball cap, has owned his own bowling shoes (and hasn't stolen them as the article implies) and has a couple of ex wives born in the Reagan years who are now dating boys born in the Clinton years - because, hey it's acceptable.

Pfft. On my 50th birthday I'm getting a new acoustic guitar and will be playing selections from my youth for my fellow 40 and 50 somethings. Odds are their Millennial kids will be too involved in uploading their own vacuous pictures to their Snapchat stories to even notice.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 AM

Cool

"The......wheels on the bus go round and round......."
Old 07-24-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I think the age of relying on the Internet for news is over. My home page (by default, not by choice) is MSN which has what I call "fluff" pieces of "news" that are basically slide shows intended to keep Millenials clicking but I (at 48) get suckered in too.

This morning a headline drew my attention: "38 Things No Man Over 40 Should Own." Among the list were three things that I feel are EXACTLY what a person of my generation should own: bowling shoes, baseball caps and acoustic guitars for parties.

I mean, really? A man over 40 shouldn't own an acoustic guitar? Who the heck is going to play them then?

The "author" of this piece of "journalism" that was comprised of 39 slides with a paragraph for each is right about one thing: I don't need a Tinder account or a GF born in the Clinton years - or a tattoo less than 5 years old. I guess The Internet is officially over - for me.

But wait - maybe I should start a blog and see if any of these Millennials have the attention span to read more than a paragraph per page? I could use Ad Sense to splash banners for Ritalin all over my page. Maybe I should apply for a patent for a colorful candy coating for it with fancy little "R"s. That should suck them in.

I don't know about you, but which ever putz wrote this article clearly can't read between the lines. How long do they think Star Wars (I mean, it is called the Millennium Falcon, not the Millennial Falcon after all) and Marvel Comics have been around. Odds are there is a 40- or 50- something behind all of this who's laughing all the way to the bank. I'd bet dollars to donuts that person HAS a tatto, sports a "dad" baseball cap, has owned his own bowling shoes (and hasn't stolen them as the article implies) and has a couple of ex wives born in the Reagan years who are now dating boys born in the Clinton years - because, hey it's acceptable.

Pfft. On my 50th birthday I'm getting a new acoustic guitar and will be playing selections from my youth for my fellow 40 and 50 somethings. Odds are their Millennial kids will be too involved in uploading their own vacuous pictures to their Snapchat stories to even notice.

What you describe is the reason I long ago dumped MSN as a home page...

Yellow journalism, links to goofy videos, and the latest on what's going in Hollyweird...

I've been using Garden & Gun as a homepage for some time now...

Well written articles and interviews, book and music reviews, and "The Back Porch Sessions" with singers and songwriters performing in an informal atmosphere...

Nice way to start out my day...
Old 07-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Hold my beer....... Watch this!

1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Before the internet I was a man of letters writing my siblings, parents and acquaintances far and wide; pen pals I suppose. The post cards sent, received and endearingly protected in suitable boxes testify to a portion of the joys of the hand-written art form. My cursive and printed writing skills were a source of pride and the bond with a good writing instrument was for life. The pen gave much heart to the art not unlike that well worn and time honored guitar that brings out the same in the muse.

But, technology has purged us of that (art, for some, chore for others) and has gone so far as to remove the handwriting art form from primary education. The last man standing in the throes of the demise of handwriting is asking the question: "But, what of the signature?" Assume it to soon find itself replaced by a thumb print or even something as sophisticated as a DNA signature.

I honestly think my picking skills correlate to my handwriting skills. The eye-hand relationship is a learned one necessitating much development. I've seen people holding and using writing instruments with a grip that wholly inhibits anything beyond their capacity to render illegible scratchings. The word maladroit comes to mind. That might be a curious question to ask others of.
OMG! Awesome!

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 PM

Check out this little clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2FMqtC1x9Y

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 PM

Its right here.

http://hmpg.net/

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 AM

The internet is probably the single most important development in my lifetime.

For the first time in human history, we are able to retain and access man's good ideas and preserve the bad ideas as well. Centuries worth of bad ideas have been lost as preservation of a fraction of the good ideas consumed all the recording media. We can now preserve the egregious stupidity as well creating a great lesson for future generations.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The internet is probably the single most important development in my lifetime.

For the first time in human history, we are able to retain and access man's good ideas and preserve the bad ideas as well. Centuries worth of bad ideas have been lost as preservation of a fraction of the good ideas consumed all the recording media. We can now preserve the egregious stupidity as well creating a great lesson for future generations.
All Hale !!!!! the rise of virtually reinforced stupidity

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-25-2017, 09:14 AM

I never thought I would say this, but I almost wish there was no internet. If I look at my life in 1990 compared to today, I fail to see that I am better off now.
In fact the cons now outweigh the pros.
Epiphone Dot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic