The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
End of thread.... he made his choice, and I applaud him for following through.
Exactly. Good job.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
People have changes of heart. Happens every day. It doesn't make them immoral The OP gets to keep his guitar, the buyer gets his money back and can search for another just like it.....no harm, no foul.
No harm/foul, perhaps, but not always. What if I wanted to buy your Eastman dread, we reached a deal, and I sent the money (as here)? What if I raised that money by selling 2 guitars at a less-than-optimal price than I would have accepted but for the fact that I needed to move quickly to get your Eastman? What if, while I was selling the guitars, I saw another Eastman for sale that was even nicer than yours, at a better price, but I passed it up because we had a deal, and now that Eastman's gone?

Then I get a call from you saying "I changed my mind, no harm no foul, good luck." Now, I've relied on your word that you'd deliver what I already paid for, that you'd honor our contract, and I acted on that reliance, to my detriment. As a result of your backing out, however, I'm now down $$ for the 2 guitars, and I missed that other sweet Eastman. I'd consider myself harmed, in that exchange.

Things aren't always as simple as they could be, when people are involved.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Fender seem to be doing ok, and Leo is long dead.
Maybe Fender ought to buy Collings, and operate it then? HawHawHaw!

Don
Old 07-17-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgrass View Post
I'm gonna ship the guitar.
Per post #33 on page 3, he shipped the guitar, and the deal is done. No need for further comment. Move along, nothing to see...... the dead horse is thoroughly beaten. And the OP has not posted since announcing that he was shipping the guitar away and completing the deal.

It may be time for a moderator to close this thread, before it get contentious -- again.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
No harm/foul, perhaps, but not always. What if I wanted to buy your Eastman dread, we reached a deal, and I sent the money (as here)? What if I raised that money by selling 2 guitars at a less-than-optimal price than I would have accepted but for the fact that I needed to move quickly to get your Eastman? What if, while I was selling the guitars, I saw another Eastman for sale that was even nicer than yours, at a better price, but I passed it up because we had a deal, and now that Eastman's gone?

Then I get a call from you saying "I changed my mind, no harm no foul, good luck." Now, I've relied on your word that you'd deliver what I already paid for, that you'd honor our contract, and I acted on that reliance, to my detriment. As a result of your backing out, however, I'm now down $$ for the 2 guitars, and I missed that other sweet Eastman. I'd consider myself harmed, in that exchange.

Things aren't always as simple as they could be, when people are involved.
It wouldn't be the end of the world and I'm sure you would end up finding an equally as nice, or better instrument and end up happy as a clam. I don't know how many sales I've missed out on that initially disappointed me only to end up very likely happier in the end. So what if someone close to me had bought me my first guitar and it was still lying around with the 6 or 7 others I had acquired since then. So I put it up for sale and it sells but before I ship it that person dies. All of a sudden it has huge sentimental value. Things can change and where do you draw the line? In the OP's case something drastic changed. That's a little different then just changing your mind.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Per post #33 on page 3, he shipped the guitar, and the deal is done. No need for further comment. Move along, nothing to see...... the dead horse is thoroughly beaten.

It may be time for a moderator to close this thread, before it get contentious -- again.
Actually he said "I'm gonna ship it". Doesn't mean he can't still change his mind.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Per post #33 on page 3, he shipped the guitar, and the deal is done. No need for further comment. Move along, nothing to see...... the dead horse is thoroughly beaten. And the OP has not posted since announcing that he was shipping the guitar away and completing the deal.

Quote:
Actually he said "I'm gonna ship it". Doesn't mean he can't still change his mind.
For sure. I'm always puzzled when people are eager for threads to be closed. Just unsub the thread and move on if you don't want to read further conversation. Or if you really want to, just click the little red/white "!" triangle at the top right of the OP or any rule-breaking post and send a mod your concerns.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I see this in a different way. There's ongoing discussion because the original post contains issues that are widely applicable, and therefore of general interest to members of this community. Ever buy and sell guitars to another individual? Most of us have. The ongoing interest in this and the number of views and posts confirm a wider generalized interest beyond one forum members seller's remorse.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The OP also said because he'd lost his job he was desperate.. If he keeps the guitar no survival funds will be forthcoming... How will he honor those other debts he has? Bill collectors don't care about stories of personal sentiment. They just want what's owed them....

Don
Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
My late mother used to say, "IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his rear." I really envy those of you who live in a world where everything works the way it's supposed to. I've learned to live in a world where I hope for the best but remain flexible enough to adapt to changing circumstances. We have little control over the actions of others, just the way in which we act....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
The OP also said because he'd lost his job he was desperate.. If he keeps the guitar no survival funds will be forthcoming... How will he honor those other debts he has? Bill collectors don't care about stories of personal sentiment. They just want what's owed them....

Don
Well that's a whole 'nuther issue I reckon.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 07-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Fender seem to be doing ok, and Leo is long dead.
Leo Fender sold out years before he died, then started G&L, which never gained the reputation, or name recognition, of Fender... Besides, building, & marketing acoustic instruments is a lot more complex than solid body electrics...

What happened to B.C. Rich, after Bernie died? What happened to Mossman after Stuart Mossman died?

I also wonder what will become of Santa Cruz Guitars after Richard Hoover is no longer in the picture? Neither Santa Cruz, nor Collings, has, or had, an "heir apparent" to take over, like Taylor is doing with Andy Powers...

Don
Old 07-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

This is the easiest question I've yet seen posted on the AGF.
Of course, ship the guitar tomorrow as promised to the buyer who fulfilled his or her end of the transaction.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 PM

I see this thread as an invitation to suggest. That has been done. I didn't read any invitation to judge after his decision has been made.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgrass View Post
Im gonna ship the guitar. But i do know in my heart that if i would of known of his passing i would have pulled it down. This is not your run of the mill collings. I wont find another one like it. And i thought of it as a tribute to my favorite players.

Sunburst herringbone with the cw/tony rice pickguard. I called it br for blake and rice because it had the sunburst of normans guitar with the 14 fret herringbone and pickguard of tonys. Ill do the right thing

i applaud you....
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-17-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Transaction feedback prohibited.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion