The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-14-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Powered Monitors - Edifier?

Anyone try these for home studio monitors?

My requirements (besides flatness and accuracy) are:

1) Speaker grille covers of some kind. Don't want to poke holes in them.
2) Front bass port (they will be next to my 28" monitor in a computer "hutch"/desk. A rear port would be affected by the computer hutch.
3) RCA unbalanced inputs preferred. Will use a Focusrite Solo for the PC "sound card".
4) Not ugly. I know, subjective.
5) Reasonably priced (these are)
6) Small-ish. The R1280T and R1700BT are about as large as I can use. Room is 11 ft. sq. Office/Exercise room.

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280...ifier+speakers

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1700...ifier+speakers

I have listened to these on Youtube from the Focusrite with pretty good Sony headphones. They are A-B'ed against various competitive speakers as well as each other. I know there is the mic and the headphone response but I can't try these in the stores. The only practical source is Amazon.

These are a little larger and would probably be better but the bass port is in the rear and would face right into the hutch back.

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R2000...ifier+speakers

I'm currently using Creative T20 MM speakers. Not very good. And headphones of course.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Never heard of them but I would be highly skeptical just because of the price point

Your requirements ? humm ? consider

#1 few if any monitors have grill covers ( not a matter of want), just simply do not poke holes in them

#2 backed hard against a wall is not a good position regardless of port direction.

Seems unlikely the Edifier will be much of an improvement (if any) over the T20's . Personally I would wait until I could triple or way more that price point, and see if you can get the speakers a bit further away from the wall'
If not you might be better off with better open back type Headphones

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Ditto KevWind's comments.

My thought is that they put a LOT of thought into the number of bells and whistles they could use as sales bullet points and a lot of work into making them have eye appeal. something's gotta give somewhere for the price point and I'm betting that what's behind the mask isn't nearly as great, and that's what I'd want my dollars to go towards.

I doubt seriously if the quality of the drivers and the electronics match the eye appeal. I'd love to be proven wrong, but there's a whole lot of powered monitors out there just beyond the warranty with cooked power amps, noisy electronics, poor sound, noisy pots, etc.

There's a reason many of the lower end powered monitors are so competitively priced. It's a rough market to hold any dominance in for less than $100.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I do not have much experience with inexpensive near field monitors, and in the last 10 or 15 years, virtually none.

Still, and take this with a grain of salt, two brands which seem to get excellent reviews for their price points are Equator and Audio Engine.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

11 square feet? That's what you list as your room size. That would be five and a half feet by two feet. Smaller than most bathrooms. Is that correct?

At any rate, I bought a pair of the Edifier R1700BT for my spouse last Christmas. As to the quality issues raised, fit, finish and quality are top notch. The drivers and electronics are very good quality. Sound, although subjective, is very good as well. This model at least, has only a 4" driver, a 1" tweeter (I think) and the bass port. Sound is well produced throughout the range. The only exception being in the lower bass frequencies. At sub bass and bass
frequencies (20-250hz), you hear little.

I think they're great little speakers. Bluetooth connectivity, quality of sound and quality of components actually appear to be very high. For what it is.

I would not even consider these for anything like near field monitors.
A decent set of powered monitors designed for the purpose would be completely different than what these are.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
11 square feet? That's what you list as your room size. That would be five and a half feet by two feet. Smaller than most bathrooms. Is that correct?
He said "11 ft. sq." ...so 11 feet by 11 feet.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-15-2017, 04:36 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I was considering the iLoud Micro Monitors at $300. Good reviews but the few bad reviews scare me. I found that the Guitar Center near where I work supposedly has them. I'll go there today and see if I can listen to them. 3" woofers are pretty small.

And yes 11 ft. sq. is 11 x 11.

Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm not familiar with the speakers you are considering. I use a pair of Equator D5 for near field monitoring. I've had them for around 3 years and feel they are very nice for acoustic guitar work. The stereo imaging seems really good. Mine were around $400 including accessories. This model has been updated since mine were produced.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-15-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I'm not familiar with the speakers you are considering. I use a pair of Equator D5 for near field monitoring. I've had them for around 3 years and feel they are very nice for acoustic guitar work. The stereo imaging seems really good. Mine were around $400 including accessories. This model has been updated since mine were produced.
Thanks Chuck. I'll look into them.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM

No matter what monitors you end up choosing, get them out of that hutch. It's going to pick up the low end sound and screw it all up.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-20-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
No matter what monitors you end up choosing, get them out of that hutch. It's going to pick up the low end sound and screw it all up.
Good advice. I actually went for Yamaha MSP3 powered monitors. They arrive today but the cables I ordered don't show up until tomorrow. I'll be able to keep them back in the hutch but pull them forward to put them in the optimum "rendering" (Reaper terminology) position.
Thanks again to those who commented.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 AM

Please read slowly.

"CLASSIC WOOD FINISH - High quality MDF wood build finished with wood effect vinyl serves as a great compliment to any home decor."

not an attribute.

Everyone before me has already covered the points you need to consider, or reconsider.

Save even more and get a pair of Minimus 7 on Ebay. (I'm actually quite serious.)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...7&_sacat=50597

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 06-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Save even more and get a pair of Minimus 7 on Ebay. (I'm actually quite serious.)

Regards,

Ty Ford
I love the sound of my Minimus 7s through an old NAD amp in my loungeroom.
I read recently that Bob Katz has them for home use too...with a NAD amp! (so they must be good right?)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post

Regards,

Ty Ford
Not to belabor a point but I also am looking for low cost monitor options and came across the edifier speakers. Would the minimus 7s work as low cost monitors? I have a pair of semi-open headphones that I've been mixing in but would love a pair of monitors. Having said that, I'm a relative beginner that is never going to mix a studio album. For me, the option is really less than $100 or I simply won't buy anything at all. I'd love to hear the Minimus 7 is aa viable option for me!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:29 PM

I have a pair on each of my workstations as secondary monitors. They don't have the low end of bigger speakers, but do very well given their size.

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD