The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2003, 12:35 PM

When I purchased my Taylor.....I thought I would keep my Norman D-20HGCW for campfires etc. It's a very nice, guitar.

But....you know what. I just never did use the Norman. I take my Taylor everywhere with me. Just this past weekend, it came with me by boat...in the rain, for a 10 minute boat ride to a friends cottage on an island. The case was wrapped in green garbage bags, and the guitar survived no worse for wear.

And, I use it at the beach and campfires as well. I just would rather play my Taylor. So....I sold the Norman. I do have an old Seagull that I could use as a campfire guitar....if the situation was really dicey....like say a large outdoor party.

But, for small gatherings I don't mind using my Taylor indoors or out. Life is to short to spend it playing anything but a nice guitar
Old 06-23-2003, 01:23 PM

I have an Ovation w/a built-in tuner which really works well for the beach or campfire when there's no electricity.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:09 PM

I use my Baby, but if I did it over again I'd get a Big Baby or 110
I played my Baby for the first time in several months yesterday and really felt cramped using it and missed the sound of my full size guitars.

TK

Baby
410ce
2002 614 ce ltd.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:05 PM

I use my Baby-M. But before the Taylor (bug) hit me, my guitar was an Applause 12-stringer A/E where I wore out the frets on the (aluminum) neck.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by utah

I take my Taylor everywhere with me. Just this past weekend, it came with me by boat...in the rain, for a 10 minute boat ride to a friends cottage on an island. The case was wrapped in green garbage bags, and the guitar survived no worse for wear.

Now thats a better beater story......where's a poloroid when you need one?

I can see Utah, the wise one, drenched to the bone,,,,,the guitar dry as a bone ......thanks for sharing that....
Old 06-23-2003, 09:55 PM

I sold my Big Baby, to finance a 110 so I'd have a fullsize beater. But I ended up with a used Larrivee D-03. It's got the same playability as a full size Taylor.

Go with something that plays as well as your Taylor, that way you'll actually take it instead of your good one. I will use the Larrivee for those days it needs a dry bag.
Blueridge BG-140
Old 06-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Undignified

I use an Ovation Custom Baladeer.
Reason is that it is my only guitar that is not a Taylor.

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 06-24-2003, 09:27 AM

If it involves significant auto/train travel or ANY air travel, my BabyM is the answer.

If it's local or fireside, it's a toss up between the Baby or my S&P 12 string, usually the 12 string. Been thinking about getting a 110, a used Martin D15 or J15, or a Seagull 6 string to complement that need. I do a lot of fireside playing.

I haven't played one yet, but the price point on an Epiphone jumbo (SJ-18S) looked pretty tempting to check out as a fireside beater. Solid spruce top. Anybody have any experience with that one?
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 06-24-2003, 03:23 PM

Well, now I have my Baby M for things like that...but I also have a Turser A/E that has worked well for the past year or so. I've been pretty impressed with their work (for an overseas guitar), especially at the price point.

My Ibanez PF-10 was the one for many years, until the nut cracked about 5 years ago. I haven't gotten it fixed yet...maybe that should be my next project.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:01 PM

quote:

Now thats a better beater story......where's a poloroid when you need one?

I can see Utah, the wise one, drenched to the bone,,,,,the guitar dry as a bone ......thanks for sharing that....

LOL. you don't know the half of it. So...we make the trip back to the marina ( this time it's dry )....and I'm on my way. My buddy heads back to his cottage and comes home yesterday. He calls me last night.

Turns out...the day after he dropped me off, his boat developed a leak in the rubber gasket around the lower unit of his I/O drive. Boat leaks like a seive....and sinks in about two feet of water luckily....it was moored in shallow water. He bails it out...and gets it floating, and has to take it out of the water for repair.

I'm thinking my garbage bags around the Taylor case, need some extra duct tape for waterproofing....and, perhaps a floatation device for the case as well, for the next trip! LOL.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by utah
quote:

....and, perhaps a floatation device for the case as well,

had a few close calls in my 30 plus years of boating,,,,

Last edited by yosemitesam2002; 06-30-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:36 AM

I use my Baby but as others have said it is not a beater. It sure works perfect for travel and in general just taking any where you want to go.
Midnight Shadow

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification